Thread: Official Devante Mays 2017 Packers Seventh Round Draft Pick

Official Devante Mays 2017 Packers Seventh Round Draft Pick

pSparq has him 18th in available RBs. His scores compare to Top 63% of NFL RBs.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

hat tip woodbuck

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ays?id=2558837

STRENGTHS Built like a truck with muscular legs and a powerful, broad chest. Has a 420-pound bench press to his name. Physical runner with a penchant for finishing with a bowed neck and heavy pads. Looks to accelerate through contact and can create additional yardage with his power through contact. Patient runner willing to follow lead blockers and accelerate when the time is right. Has adequate speed to threaten to the edges and force linebackers to flow hard. Fluid hips and light feet for a back his size. Praised by teammates and coaches for attitude and work ethic.

WEAKNESSES Recurring leg injury robbed him of all but 37 carries this season. Feet aren't always agreeable with his eyes and will get sticky when faced with traffic leaking into the backfield. Vision is inconsistent and he will leave yardage on the field. Appears to lack confidence in some running lanes and tends to scan for larger points of entry. Will need to expedite his processing and be willing to commit to a lane earlier. Had just two career catches at Utah State. Likely an early-down back only.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-PFA

BOTTOM LINE After a monstrous performance early in the season against Weber State, Mays was never able to get completely right after injuring his ankle against USC. While he may have slid off of radars after the season, his 4.5-second 40-yard dash and 40.5-inch vertical leap were likely a wake-up call for evaluators who could be intrigued by his size, power and explosiveness. Mays has the physical tools to find his way into a camp and battle for a spot at the back end of the running back depth chart.

-Lance Zierlein
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Highlights are all I can find.

I liked what i saw of him...
    wist

Short shuttle and Three cone aren't great, but he can motor (1.62/2.60/4.52) in a straight line at 203 lbs. Has good broad jump and vertical for some explosion.

h/t woodbuck: Think this is his High School clip

I like the highlights I see of this guy in the 2015 highlights video! Very violent runner. Put me in his fan club, I think he can contribute if he returns to that form.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-3-report-card

No. 238 Green Bay Packers: Devante Mays, Running Back, Utah State

Strengths: Size-speed package.

Weaknesses: Mid-major back with major injuries.

Mays ran for 966 yards and nine touchdowns in 2015, then exploded for 37-259-3 in his first five games last season before he injured his ankle. Mays is big and can run, but he caught just two passes in his NCAA career. A power back from a small program with injuries and no receiving chops selected by a team that throws the ball a zillion times per game and has already drafted multiple running backs? Welcome to the end of the draft. Grade: Poor. (Ted Thompson is stuck in a running back rut and cannot get out.)

I'd like to see him get a try at fullback. He's got the body type, and the way the Packers use Ripkowski, it would make sense to use somebody else with running skills at FB.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    A poor man's Samaje Perine? I hope he stays healthy.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    A poor man's Samaje Perine? I hope he stays healthy.
    Maybe, but I doubt they woulda considered using Samaje as a FB any more than they did Lacy.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Just don't see it but hope I'm wrong