Thread: Official Malachi Dupree 2017 Packers Seventh Round Draft Pick

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Official Malachi Dupree 2017 Packers Seventh Round Draft Pick

Round Seven and Pick NO. 29 (247 Overall) Packers Pick WR Malachi Dupre ....6'2" and 196 lbs From LSU NFL.COM Grade at 5.4

This guy fell down the board a long ways. He was ranked 64th on NFL.Com's TOP 150.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...pre?id=2558095

OVERVIEW
    Malachi Dupre (Mal-uh-kye Doo-pree) was not voted first or second-team all-conference during his career, and has not ranked among the more prolific receivers in the country due to the Tigers' inconsistent quarterback play. Dupre actually led LSU in receptions and receiving yards each of the past two seasons, even though his statistics aren't extraordinary (43-698, six TDs in 2015; 41-593, three TDs in 2016). The former five-star prospect and high school state champion triple, long, and high-jumper from New Orleans was voted to the SEC's All-Freshman team in 2014, however, by averaging 22.7 yards per reception (14-318, five TDs).

STRENGTHS
    Has desired size and athletic ability. Experienced at multiple receiver spots. More talented than production would dictate. Tracks the deep throws like an outfielder and can adjust catch positioning without taking his eye off the ball. Consistently solid catch rate throughout his career. Adjusts to low throws and balls behind him to make the catch. Looks to turn it up the field quickly after the catch. Dips low and drives through cornerbacks while stretching for additional yardage. Small sample size during freshman season gave hints of his downfield potential.

WEAKNESSES
    Lacks upfield juice into his routes. Vertical push doesn't appear to threaten cornerbacks. Needs to play faster off the snap. Slow to sink and open on curls. Needs a greater commitment to nuances of route-running in order to improve his separation. Tends to tip his hand early allowing cornerbacks to match his patterns. Stalk-blocker with marginal aggression and sustain after initial contact.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 3-4

SOURCES TELL US
    "I was asked by someone at the school about where he would be drafted if he came out and I told them on the third day. I recommended he go back to school. His size is interesting but I don't see a fast player." - NFC Personnel Director

BOTTOM LINE
    Big target who has suffered from arrested development due, in part, to quarterback inconsistencies at LSU. Dupre is a developmental receiver with some upside but it could take some time before he's ready to contribute. Could be a potential third or fourth wide receiver with time and coaching.

-Lance Zierlein

h/t woodbuck
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

pSparq had him 21st in Wide Receivers this year. Average athlete overall this year, but inside the 82% of NFL athletes.

Lotta explosion (vert 39.5, broad 11.25) and speed at the top end of the 40 (4.46/2.56/1.57). Short shuttle and 3 cone look like average to below average (SS 4.26/3C 7.19). 11 reps at lift.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

This is a kid who will benefit greatly from having a guy like Jordy Nelson to watch every day in practice. The kid has physical talent...time will tell if he can put everything else together.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Hard to turn this kid away for a 7th round pick

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Hard to turn this kid away for a 7th round pick
    Donald Driver 2.0?
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    A little bit bigger than Donald and Dupree dropped in this draft. I don't think anyone had a fucking clue about Driver

good in space, good hands. it's big play or nothing though (from this small sample). driver was a lot more than that.

ted called him a home run hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    ted called him a home run hitter.
    Less Driver, more Schroeder?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-3-report-card

No. 247 Green Bay Packers: Malachi Dupre, Wide Receiver, LSU

Strengths: Size, after-catch ability.

Weaknesses: Technique, productivity.

Dupre and Travin Dural both suffered from playing in a post-Odell Beckham Jr., post-Jarvis Landry program that ran the ball approximately 5000 times per game and asked the wide receivers to stalk block and run clear-out routes. Dupre has exceptional hands and ball-snatching capability, and he does block pretty well. But he has no experience beating jams, runs ordinary routes and makes most of his big plays by just outleaping some 5'10" cornerback for jump balls.

I like Dupre as a project, but a project he is. At least he's playing with a team and quarterback that get footballs to their receivers. Grade: Good.

I think this guy is the most likely of the receivers to make the roster.

A lot of talk that this guy was a victim of bad QB play at LSU in 2016.

http://draftanalyst.com/malachi-dupre

Analysis:
    After his sophomore season of 2015, I graded Dupre as a potential first-round choice, but for a variety of reasons his play took a step back last year. He possesses the underlying size, skill and upside potential to be a dominant pass catcher at the next level but must get his game back on track.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    A lot of talk that this guy was a victim of bad QB play at LSU in 2016.

http://draftanalyst.com/malachi-dupre
    This, I watched him a bit during the WI/LSU game. He looked good running and blocking but LSU hardly passed the whole game. I like this pick a lot.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I've got high hopes for this guy too. If there is no hidden problem like attitude or drugs or criminality, he seems like a real bargain pick. For some odd reason, there were several seemingly outstanding wideouts still available very late in the draft.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?