Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tell me again how the Packers have faith in Ty Montgomery.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Personally, I love Monty with our FA TE signings. The Pack can come out in 12 personnel. What does the D do? Do they play heavy run, base or nickel?

If the D plays run heavy or base you can split Monty and/or 1 TE out. If they go nickel, you pound the ball into a 6 man box with 7 blockers.

Effectively 12 personnel for the Pack is a hybrid 02 with a WR playing RB. It can be a heavy run package or similar to a 5 wide package.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I agree Thunder.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I'm not sure I understand the point/argument that Rutnstrut is trying to make. Monty should feel a lack of confidence now that the Packers have tried to create some quality depth during the draft? Rut, are you saying the Packers showed lack of confidence in Monty? You almost make your own counter argument in your replies when you talk about how things went last year with the lack of depth. I would agree that they did have lack of depth, but that will happen when you lose one backup even before the season starts (Crockett), and significant time to complete season (Starks and Lacy). It's pretty rare that your depth gets challenged so much that you have to convert a WR to a RB. I like to focus on the fact that they found a good, somewhat unexpected option. I knew he had some running back experience in his football career, but never expected the Packers to need it, let alone how well he did when pressed into the role.

This argument is a non-starter. I look at this as nothing more than trying to build up quality depth behind Montgomery. Michael, Jackson, and Crockett are not guaranteed to make the roster. The team has not invested much in them, certainly not enough to stand pat with them and not try and build more competition/depth at that position through the draft or college free agency (although I didn't noticed any more RB's in that class). After yesterday, I think the team hears your depth argument loud and clear, don't you?
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 04-30-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Thompson said it was a really deep draft for RB and that's why he ended up with 3. Convenient cuz we needed RBs. They all look like they could be good. Man, would be great if we had one of those once in a decade drafts where we get two stars and a handful of good starters.

GB gave up on John Crockett at the beginning of March, when they declined to tender him even though all it required was a minimum salary offer because he was an exclusive rights free agent. He can't be signed for anything less than that by GB or anyone else. They could have given him the option of signing with them, or sitting out the season. They let him become an unrestricted free agent instead.

Prior to the draft the Packers had just three RBs on their roster (not counting fullbacks). When have they ever gone into training camp with less than 5 or 6? I doubt they could even run the practices they want to with just 3. It's the same reasons why they will start with about 10 WRs.

Right now they will have at least 5 guys auditioning for one or two spots behind Montgomery on the final roster, and another one or two on the practice squad.

Drafting three was just a way to fill up their off season roster needs with players they think have potential to stick behind Montgomery, because he is the only one with a virtually guaranteed roster spot.

I'm guessing the RBs next season will be Ty, Williams, and Jones with Mayes to the PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the point/argument that Rutnstrut is trying to make. Monty should feel a lack of confidence now that the Packers have tried to create some quality depth during the draft? Rut, are you saying the Packers showed lack of confidence in Monty? You almost make your own counter argument in your replies when you talk about how things went last year with the lack of depth.
    This is exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread. FWIW, I really like the way Monty runs. But the Pack will not assume he has 240 carries in him so they would be fools not to load up on back-ups. Monty has that mysterious sickle cell trait issue that could pop up at some point again. We need other Backs to be ready. If one of them turns into this year's Jordan Howard (5th round Bears pick last year) --all the better.

Gamblin' Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I'm guessing the RBs next season will be Ty, Williams, and Jones with Mayes to the PS.
    Do you think they release Michael?

Quote Originally Posted by VegasPackFan View Post
    Do you think they release Michael?
    ted's pretty loyal if the $ are the same. in this case they won't be. if he thinks one of the noobs is as good as michael...michael is gone.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Now that Michael has a full off-season with the team, and since he projects as a backup, I'm guessing that he'll have to prove his worth playing special teams as well as whatever snaps he might get on offense. If one of the younger players catches on fast and is more versatile, Michael may be gone.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The guy has had a couple of spectacular runs and a whole bunch of dumb ones. If a rook can play better on ST, and pick up the assignments and move forward, Michaels will likely be gone.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The problem, if you can call it that, is that we have too many quality receivers and to only a slightly lesser extent, a bunch of RBs. You just can't stockpile them, considering the fact that players on the practice squad can be easily signed by anybody.

No way needed Perine or somebody like him. On second glance, I see that Mays is not that - thankfully. If/when we need a short yardage power guy, Ripkowski will do just fine.

Rip-a-fart-kowski is a fumbler and can never be trusted again! During the most important game of the Packers season and the most important game of his lifetime, the guy doesn't even bother protecting the football with his life! Still really puzzled why y'all like this guy so much?
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

I'm excited to see this Jones kid in camp, I think he might end up being the gem of this draft class.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I'm excited to see this Jones kid in camp, I think he might end up being the gem of this draft class.
    Agreed! Jones is going to be a dynamic back.
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Now that Michael has a full off-season with the team, and since he projects as a backup, I'm guessing that he'll have to prove his worth playing special teams as well as whatever snaps he might get on offense. If one of the younger players catches on fast and is more versatile, Michael may be gone.
    Just don't let Micheal return kicks...

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Rip-a-fart-kowski is a fumbler and can never be trusted again! During the most important game of the Packers season and the most important game of his lifetime, the guy doesn't even bother protecting the football with his life! Still really puzzled why y'all like this guy so much?
    Huh? He had a grand total of one fumble last year and in his career. It was unfortunate it was in the NFCC game but that was his lone fumble ever so you can't say he is a fumbler.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    If/when we need a short yardage power guy, Ripkowski will do just fine.
    maybe but there's something to hitting the hole quickly too, or launching yourself over the wall. got to be athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Just don't let Micheal return kicks...
    just cuz he goofed up one kick return...

Chrissy never should've been re-signed in the first place. The guy loves running into an OL player's ass at full speed. He's either blind or gay...can't make up my mind as to which it is.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Perhaps he is both.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack