Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tell me again how the Packers have faith in Ty Montgomery.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Chrissy never should've been re-signed in the first place. The guy loves running into an OL player's ass at full speed. He's either blind or gay...can't make up my mind as to which it is.
    And now we'll never know - he's been released.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    And now we'll never know - he's been released.
    so it seems...packers-planning-to-release-christine-michael

Gamblin' Rat
    Well that answers the question. I like it. Give these hungry rooks a chance to make the team. Michael's career is just tanking. Can't stick with anyone.

Unfortunate if they really are cutting Michael. If all three rookies pan out, keep Montgomery, Ripkowski, Michael, AND all three. The way I see it, Michael has breakaway ability that none of the rookies have. It would be a shame to piss that away.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Micheal can play but I suspect he isn't the sharpest bulb in the knife drawer and has problems picking up NFL offenses so this is why he can't stay with any one team very long.

Gamblin' Rat
    Michael is a workout/metrics beast. For NFL teams to not covet him means there's something else very wrong with this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasPackFan View Post
    Michael is a workout/metrics beast. For NFL teams to not covet him means there's something else very wrong with this kid.
    It isn't a mystery. He has skills. He also has little vision and is scatter shot in his approach to choosing a hole. Sometimes he dances. Sometimes he puts his head down and pile drives a Guard in the kidneys. His mind is going 150 mph in the 35 mph backfield.

Once he clear the LOS or has a lane, he is very good with decent cuts and straight line speed.

But 3 or 4 years in, if the vision and backfield reads haven't slowed down for him, not sure when they will.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    And Don Jackson. I suspect Michael was signed as insurance just in case the draft board didn't fall the way TT thought it might.

Don Jackson is pretty worthless. All three new guys seem to be a lot better. Michael, though, is a breakaway threat, which the new guys aren't, not much anyway. That uniqueness is good to have - and he is more than just "a workout/metrics beast". He looked good on the field in limited carries in addition to doing well in Seattle. Is he stupid? There's a rumor going around hahahahaha. I'd like to see somebody who thinks so ask him to his face.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I'm interested to know the team's end-game for the RB's this season. Last year, they cast their lot with inexperienced depth at DB, and the results were not encouraging. I hope they are not about to do the same thing at RB this year. If Monty gets hurt and misses any amount of time, right now the depth would be all rookies and Rip. Do you suppose there is still a chance they add a veteran free agent RB, like Blount?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I'm interested to know the team's end-game for the RB's this season. Last year, they cast their lot with inexperienced depth at DB, and the results were not encouraging. I hope they are not about to do the same thing at RB this year. If Monty gets hurt and misses any amount of time, right now the depth would be all rookies and Rip. Do you suppose there is still a chance they add a veteran free agent RB, like Blount?
    Gosh, I hope not!

OK, so perhaps not Blount, but what about the idea of bringing in a veteran for depth? They can't be committing to the draft class of RB's by default just because they released Michael and Jackson. Don't they want to really good look at them first? Surely, they must be bringing in some other RB talent for more competition at camp. I hope they don't get caught flat footed!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Except the RB position is nowhere near as crucial to a team's success as a DB. Except for two years of Lacy, the Packers haven't had a consistent RB since Ahman (with honorable mention to Ryan Grant). They can get by with "meh", but that's worst case scenario.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

This team needs to Pass Pass Pass Pass maybe throw in a run for a change of pace, then Pass Pass Pass .......

The variety should be in the form of different types of pass plays.

For this, explosive breakaway runners are called for, NOT Lacy-type plodders. Montgomery is very close to what we need; Hopefully all three or at least two of these rookies will lean that way too.

Understood that it's easier to coordinate a run game vs. a defensive backfield. The communication has to be at another level. I'm not directly comparing, but recall the mistake of last year of having nothing but youth for depth at DB. Also, in 2013, the major issue was being prepared at backup QB. I understand that if the starting QB goes down, you're going to have issues anyway, and they did. Part of those issues was caused by lack of proper planning for the backups. In final roster cut down, they finally decide that Graham Harrell can't play backup and pulled the plug on the Vince Young experiment. TT all but admitted that he should have signed someone like that at the start of the off-season to give him more time to learn the offense. Then he basically scrambled to get two new backups...not good. I know, QB, it's a whole other level of challenge, but you should properly plan each position group and not leave things to chance.

I hope that Monty never gets hurt, has an awesome season and that all the new backs are studs. If you are TT, have you done enough for the position at this point? I think if he stands pat at the position, he is taking a bit of a risk. Don't get me wrong, they all look good and bring different things to the table, but they are all rookies and as of right now and they are the backups. Is that enough?
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 05-02-2017 at 05:45 AM.

I hope that Monty never gets hurt, has an awesome season and that all the new backs are studs. If you are TT, have you done enough for the position at this point? I think if he stands pat at the position, he is taking a bit of a risk. Don't get me wrong, they all look good and bring different things to the table, but they are all rookies and as of right now and they are the backups. Is that enough?
    Runningback is one position where rookies can contribute right away. Williams might not be the most dynamic prospect out there, but he seems pretty solid overall. I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing as much or More than Monty by the end of the year. Packers have had recent success with rookie runningbacks (Lacy, Starks in the playoffs, Brandon Jackson). If it appears at the end of training camp that the rookies aren't ready, there will be veterans available to be picked up.

Except for pass blocking (and Ripper can do that) RB is the position most amenable to being played well while very young.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Runningback is one position where rookies can contribute right away. Williams might not be the most dynamic prospect out there, but he seems pretty solid overall. I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing as much or More than Monty by the end of the year. Packers have had recent success with rookie runningbacks (Lacy, Starks in the playoffs, Brandon Jackson). If it appears at the end of training camp that the rookies aren't ready, there will be veterans available to be picked up.
    The most critical thing Packers RB's have to learn to be able to contribute is blitz pick-up. If they can do that, they have a shot at playing. Otherwise the Packers will be limited to Monty and Rip for passing plays, and it will be harder to disguise what play they are planning to run.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I just want a RB that can run between the tackles like Ahman Green, run the screen like Edgar Bennett and pass block like Brandon Jackson. Is that so wrong?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    I just want a RB that can run between the tackles like Ahman Green, run the screen like Edgar Bennett and pass block like Brandon Jackson. Is that so wrong?
    You are going to need a waiver for that kind of genetic experimentation.