Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Roster

The Roster

Some no names will turn heads in camp and make this projection obsolete, but if I had to project the 53-man roster right now, this is how it would look.

QB (3)

Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley, Joe Callahan

RB (4)

Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Aaron Ripkowski

WR (6)

Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey

TE (3)

Martellus Bennett, Lance Kendricks, Richard Rodgers

OL (9)

David Bakhtiari, Lane Taylor, Corey Linsley, Jahri Evans, Bryan Bulaga, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy, Don Barclay, Lucas Patrick

DL (6)

Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, (Letroy Guion), Dean Lowry, Montravius Adams, Ricky Jean Francois

OLB (5)

Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Vince Biegel, Kyler Fackrell, Jayrone Elliott

ILB (3)

Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas

CB (6)

Kevin King, Damarious Randall, Davon House, LaDarius Gunter, Quinten Rollins, Josh Hawkins

S (5)

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice, Marwin Evans

ST (3)

Mason Crosby, Jacob Schum, LS

PRACTICE SQUAD

RB Devante Mays, WR Malachi Dupre, OG Kofi Amichia
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I believe Guion will not count as a member of the 53 man roster until his suspension is over. I like Brian Price to have a chance to make the 53 in his absence. Adam Pankey is my early favorite for an UDFA to make the 53.

This is the final year of the Janis experiment? I'll take that. Next up to get cut, Don the turnstile Barclay.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    This is the final year of the Janis experiment? I'll take that. Next up to get cut, Don the turnstile Barclay.
    With Tretter gone, he's the backup center. If somebody shows he can fill that role, his status is as shaky as a 3-legged giraffe.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    With Tretter gone, he's the backup center. If somebody shows he can fill that role, his status is as shaky as a 3-legged giraffe.
    Probably the part about losing Tretter that sucks the most. The Swiss army lineman is gone and we have a turd sandwich.

Harsh truth, Zool.

Matched my projection very closely:

Waters over Hawkins- coin flip, can't argue.
    Janis over Yancey- strictly based on his ST skills but you are likely right, not many TT picks get clipped and Yancey is well thought of enough to get snagged before we can PS stash him.
    Punter- Schum is on thin ice but I can't project a kid I've never seen punt a ball to beat him out at this point in the offseason.
    Guion- Price or Ringo get to play for a month until he fulfills his suspension. Your parenthetical implies as much but thought I'd offer my opinion on who fills his chair in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Some no names will turn heads in camp and make this projection obsolete, but if I had to project the 53-man roster right now, this is how it would look.

QB (3)

Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley, Joe Callahan

RB (4)

WR (6)

Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey

TE (3)

Martellus Bennett, Lance Kendricks, Richard Rodgers

OL (9)

David Bakhtiari, Lane Taylor, Corey Linsley, Jahri Evans, Bryan Bulaga, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy, Don Barclay, Lucas Patrick

DL (6)

Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, (Letroy Guion), Dean Lowry, Montravius Adams, Ricky Jean Francois

OLB (5)

Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Vince Biegel, Kyler Fackrell, Jayrone Elliott

ILB (3)

Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas

CB (6)

Kevin King, Damarious Randall, Davon House, LaDarius Gunter, Quinten Rollins, Josh Hawkins

S (5)

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice, Marwin Evans

ST (3)

Mason Crosby, Jacob Schum, LS

PRACTICE SQUAD

RB Devante Mays, WR Malachi Dupre, OG Kofi Amichia

We look really thin at ILB

Agreed. I think we see Josh Jones there in many sub packages but in base we will need to borrow from the OLB group (CMIII, Beigel) to fill snaps if we have an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    We look really thin at ILB

just an FYI for anyone trying to make a predicted final roster

last year we had 13 rookies on the final 53 after cut downs

so make sure you have plenty of rookies in there

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    just an FYI for anyone trying to make a predicted final roster

last year we had 13 rookies on the final 53 after cut downs

so make sure you have plenty of rookies in there
    I'd say 10-11. 8 draftees make it. The 2 7th round picks end up on the PS. Probably 2-3 UDFA's make the 53.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post

RB (4)

Joe Kerridge over Ripkowski maybe? I wondered last year if they called him up just because they were so short handed or because they saw something in Kerridge they preferred over Ripkowski.

Oh - and I'm manning the Devante Mays support hotline, so add him to the list, I think they learned a lesson last year, and go back to 5 WRs!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

No way Ripkowski gets cut. One of the best FBs in the league.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Packers roster will be interesting. They are sort of treading water as some of the young guys on the 2016 roster haven't stepped up to knock out some older guys. The Packers drafted 2 more WRs when the Packers really don't have room at that position without someone getting hurt. Trevor Davis needs to play his ass off in camp or he will be cut, and that doesn't mean the two rookies have a chance of making this roster either. Janis is a pretty important piece on special teams, but if there is a guy in camp like Yancy that can make plays on ST then Janis is gone. They will take the younger player. With drafting three running backs Monty can swing between receiver and RB, where ever they are going to need him the most. If the young backs step up and demonstrate they can handle the rushing load then Monty might swing back over to receiver. The roster battle on offensive will be between the young running backs and the young receivers. Which ever performs better will claim a roster spot.

I will be surprised if the Packers carry 5 safeties.

Also I didn't think Barclay played all that bad as a backup last year. I wouldn't want him full time as as starter but there isn't anyone better on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Packers roster will be interesting. They are sort of treading water as some of the young guys on the 2016 roster haven't stepped up to knock out some older guys. The Packers drafted 2 more WRs when the Packers really don't have room at that position without someone getting hurt. Trevor Davis needs to play his ass off in camp or he will be cut, and that doesn't mean the two rookies have a chance of making this roster either. Janis is a pretty important piece on special teams, but if there is a guy in camp like Yancy that can make plays on ST then Janis is gone. They will take the younger player. With drafting three running backs Monty can swing between receiver and RB, where ever they are going to need him the most. If the young backs step up and demonstrate they can handle the rushing load then Monty might swing back over to receiver. The roster battle on offensive will be between the young running backs and the young receivers. Which ever performs better will claim a roster spot.

I will be surprised if the Packers carry 5 safeties.

Also I didn't think Barclay played all that bad as a backup last year. I wouldn't want him full time as as starter but there isn't anyone better on the roster.
    Overall, I think there is some pretty good depth on the team. I think the UDFAs that showed flashes last year (Allison, Hawkins, Brice, Evans) + a large draft class will do it. There are interesting battles at almost every position:

QB Will Callahan make the roster? I think he will knowing that Hundley is as good as gone next year.

RB I'm guessing two of the three rookies make the roster with the other on PS. Mays is least impressive to me--although Jones had fumbling issues in college and it's pretty glaring on his tape. I'm worried he'll be a fumbler.

FB Not sure there is room for Kerridge this year.

WR Allison, Davis, Yancey, Janis, and Dupre for three spots.

OL Probably comes down to Patrick vs. Amichia for the last spot.

DL Will Ringo and Price show enough to make the squad?

OLB Gilbert could push for a spot.

S I was impressed with Brice. He looked like he belonged in the NFL. Evans has great athleticism. Knowing Jones will play that CB/S (maybe ILB) hybrid role, Evans has a chance with his athletic ability.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 04-30-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Janis cut? That's simply not acceptable. I wonder if Mays could convert to fullback behind Ripkowski. I don't think Kerridge is worth keeping. I'll check into this deeper tomorrow.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Janis is a really good ST gunner - so he sticks.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    8 LB and 11 DBs is pushing it
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Blog Entries
    With them using 80+% sub-package defenses I'd say that's their minimum for DB's and LB's. I could see them going with 5 DL (with back-ups on the PS) and another ILB like Tripp for ST/injury protection.

Just eyeballed the salary situation:
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/

Randall Cobb is no bargain.
    I really don't get the Jared Cook -> Martellus Bennett downgrade. MB is not cheaper unless he flops.

I'm sure these are topics beaten to death elsewhere.