Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Roster

Janis over Davis; 8 O Linemen instead of 9 with Barclay or Patrick cut; 5 D Linemen - Guion gone even when the suspension ends; 4 Safeties instead of 5 with either Brice or Evans or both gone; 5 or maybe even 6 RBs instead of 4 with Mays or Michael kept - Mays cross-trained at Fullback (no way Kerridge stays, maybe more use of TEs at FB); I wouldn't be surprised if they cut Callahan and try to keep him on the practice squad again since we signed the BYU kid as a backup QB also.

Somebody is for sure gonna get injured, and somebody among the UDFAs probably will stand out and be kept also.

It should be an interesting preseason with all these quality (apparently) RBs and WRs competing.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Bennett is an upgrade over Cook. Isn't he the better and more willing blocker?

Amichie makes the squad. Will be a pleasant surprise, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Bennett is an upgrade over Cook. Isn't he the better and more willing blocker?
    I looked around and couldn't find any TE comparisons - all draft and fantasy football.

I thought Cook proved himself to be a top receiver, would take him whether he could block or not.

Bennett is probably a better receiver (but they are different; Cook offers more speed). It's not even close blocking-wise. Bennett is right at the top at TE for blocking. Cook is serviceable at best.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Bennett is probably a better receiver (but they are different; Cook offers more speed).
    Cook was rated a better FF receiver last year in my google adventures (I call Rodgers/Brady a wash.)

But if you watched the Patriots games and think Bennett is better, OK. I remember him being a body-up sort of receiver for the Bears. He was good. Green Bay is his fifth team. (I see Cook is on his 4th, so maybe that is the NFL.)

I wonder how nfl analysts compare the two.

Bennett isn't some plodder. He can run, but Cook ran about as well as a TE can coming out and he hasn't lost a lot of his speed. What do you mean Cook was rated a better FF receiver? Bennett did better last year. If you are talking preseason, Bennett was still rated higher (even though he was the backup TE to Gronk).
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Just eyeballed the salary situation:
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/

Randall Cobb is no bargain.
    I really don't get the Jared Cook -> Martellus Bennett downgrade. MB is not cheaper unless he flops.

I'm sure these are topics beaten to death elsewhere.
    Bennet is a big upgrade. Almost equal in pass game (more productive) and a world apart as a run blocker. Its about time we focused on dual threats at TE.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Cook was rated a better FF receiver last year in my google adventures (I call Rodgers/Brady a wash.)

But if you watched the Patriots games and think Bennett is better, OK. I remember him being a body-up sort of receiver for the Bears. He was good. Green Bay is his fifth team. (I see Cook is on his 4th, so maybe that is the NFL.)

I wonder how nfl analysts compare the two.
    Well, one of those guys was competing with Gronk for catches there blue dog.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Bennett did get significantly more money, I was just looking at first year with my initial reaction.

Martellus Bennett signed a 3 year, $21,000,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers, including a $6,300,000 signing bonus, $6,300,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,000,000.

Jared Cook signed a 2 year, $10,600,000 contract with the Oakland Raiders, including $5,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,300,000.
    Jared Cook turned the Packer offense around last year, IMO.

The initial page I hit had JC listed as a better FF prospect than MB, but I see now that most sites had MB rated 10 slots better among NFL TEs.

Amichia was a LT that will play G and possibly C. I see him as either Barclay's successor (and possibly Jahri Evans') or he washes out.
    They can afford to go light on ILB's vs. Safeties because they will play Jones/Burnett/Clay in there sometimes. I wonder if Reggie Gilbert or Johnathan Calvin push Elliott for a spot.

I expected them to draft another pass rusher, it makes me wonder if they saw some development in their young guys? Maybe they're counting on better pass rush from the DLine?

I am getting old enough to begin being addled.

Having a hard time differentiating twixt all the Devantes', Jones', and Adams'.

Looking forward to the TV announcers experiencing the same conundrum during the Super Bowl broadcast.

The Murphy/Amichie/ Patrick pre-season battle will be riveting.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    That ones up in the air. Yikes. We don't know a damn thing about how any of them play right now. But we have Evans for a year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Hopefully riveting as in "they are all playing so well, how do we choose" instead of "holy shit, if one of these guys doesn't improve fast Rodgers is toast"
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I think what you're saying, Bobblehead, is that barring a bunch of injuries, none of those three is gonna see the field much in the regular season. Jahri Evans, on the other hand, could just be a key piece, playing better (I hope and almost expect) than T.J. Lang did/would have.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?