Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pete Prisco's Team Grades for 2017 Draft

Cool

The following players visited the GB Packers prior to the draft and were then drafted by the Packers.
    They are :

DeAngelo Yancey / WR / Purdue
    Kofi Amichia / OL / South Florida
    Devante Mays / RB / Utah State

Last edited by Radagast; 05-01-2017 at 06:03 AM.

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

Well, we of course don't know jack about how who will pan out and who won't, not for any of these teams. But da Bears sure did give up the farm to move up - I love this - one spot! After giving a young guy a big contract to play the same position.

Minnesota looks like they may be back to their bad old ways - drafting Cook in the second round. Lions, too, drafting Teez Tabor in the second, then a bunch of third wide receivers and special teamers, it appears.

But who knows. The fun is in finding out.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    In a way I think it makes more sense to rank a draft now for purposes of GM accountability. Or in a few months maybe. For purposes of coach accountability 4 years should do.

I think its a bad assumption that some players are destined for greatness independent of the circumstances of the team that drafts them. In an alternate reality Rodgers may have been a 49er and never developed into the MVP-level talent he is now. There are probably players that never hit with the Packers who could have been pro bowlers elsewhere. And I'm not just talking about schematic fit but the whole infinite collection of variances that are set in motion once drafted by a team in the NFL. So I see the temptation of thinking "what if we took Ngata over Hawk?" but there is no guarantee that Ngata the prospect would have been Ngata the star without Ray Lewis barking orders behind him. It could well have taken his coaches, trainers, friendships, teammates, family, fans, and a million other things in that exact situation to make him. Maybe he comes to GB and our trainers destroy his back in the weight room and he becomes nothing but a curse word Bretsky uses in traffic.

For this reason the Brian Brohms and Khyri Thorntons are the worst draft picks to hang on Ted. They were piles of shit so immediately that its hard to imagine what it would take to cultivate whatever talent they had.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    For this reason the Brian Brohms and Khyri Thorntons are the worst draft picks to hang on Ted. They were piles of shit so immediately that its hard to imagine what it would take to cultivate whatever talent they had.
    Thornton is actually still in the league - playing for the Lions, I believe. Those big bodies tend to get more chances though.

Brohm...that was a bad one. I always though TT might've been at odds with a previously very highly rated player (and a QB!) being on the board 2/3 of the way through the second and panicked a little.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

The same people calling the draft grades worthless would be frothing at the mouth if the Packers had received poor draft grades for this year. Too many armchair GM's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    In a way I think it makes more sense to rank a draft now for purposes of GM accountability. Or in a few months maybe. For purposes of coach accountability 4 years should do.

I think its a bad assumption that some players are destined for greatness independent of the circumstances of the team that drafts them. In an alternate reality Rodgers may have been a 49er and never developed into the MVP-level talent he is now. There are probably players that never hit with the Packers who could have been pro bowlers elsewhere. And I'm not just talking about schematic fit but the whole infinite collection of variances that are set in motion once drafted by a team in the NFL. So I see the temptation of thinking "what if we took Ngata over Hawk?" but there is no guarantee that Ngata the prospect would have been Ngata the star without Ray Lewis barking orders behind him. It could well have taken his coaches, trainers, friendships, teammates, family, fans, and a million other things in that exact situation to make him. Maybe he comes to GB and our trainers destroy his back in the weight room and he becomes nothing but a curse word Bretsky uses in traffic.

Killer post 31. Though I think it's fair to hold the GM responsible for drafting/adding players that can/will thrive within the circumstances of the team as constructed.

As you say it's more complex than simply assessing talent in a vacuum. I think your post says a lot about Ted's approach to player acquisition beyond the draft as well.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    It's all speculation at this point. Check again in 3 or 5 or 10 years.
    of course it is. these guys/publications are doing it just for fun (and it's their job). that's what it is. just like these chat boards. talking points and fun.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Totally excluding picks that had their careers derailed by injury early on, it amazes me when the team drafts a guy in the first three or four rounds and they come in and look like they can't play. Likewise, we all love it when a player is found where least expected. I wasn't crazy about picking DeAngelo Yancey where he was chosen, however, if he catches on and turns out to be a decent pro, then my concerns were unfounded.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I must be in the minority because I don't care when a guy is taken. If he ends up that he can play and really contribute isn't that all that matters in the end?

you can always grade drafts on how well they addressed their needs

in that case, i think we would get about a B, we still might have the Ilb or OLB depth problem, depending on where beigel plays. and we still have barclay as our #1 backup at guard

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I must be in the minority because I don't care when a guy is taken. If he ends up that he can play and really contribute isn't that all that matters in the end?
    yeah, good point. who cares if a guy is a reach in the 4th if he becomes a starter

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    The same people calling the draft grades worthless would be frothing at the mouth if the Packers had received poor draft grades for this year. Too many armchair GM's.
    No I wouldn't. I don't and never have cared about post-draft grades. Wait and see how these guys perform for a few years and then re-visit the draft success. It's simply something for people to write and talk about. It's fine with me if people want to act as though they carry any weight. IMO they don't. It has nothing to do with being an, "armchair GM". I'm not saying it's a good or a bad draft in any way yet. Of course there are players I'm glad to see us pick and some that leave me scratching my head. For example, I really wanted to see us grab Perine from Oklahoma with the first pick in the 4th Rd. but I'm not going to blow a gasket or lose any sleep over the fact that we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Washington Post = Fake News

Another to add to the list.
    MSN.com
    I read that article. GB got the only A+
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m_campaign=nfl

At Long Last, the Packers Seem to Understand That It's Evolve or Die in the NFL

MIKE FREEMAN ... MAY 1, 2017

" Thompson's embrace of a more modern, or at least, current way of doing things in the NFL has all but stunned his counterparts across the league. Six different team officials told me they were flabbergasted by the change in someone they believed had become too dogmatic and stubborn in his approach to a rapidly changing NFL world."

Comment woodbuck27:

A fine compliment to Ted Thompson from a respected writer...Mike Freeman.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-01-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    don't remember who did it but i read a guy a yesterday gave them a B+.

here's link that gives grades from several sources...http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dra...sults-analysis
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m_campaign=nfl

Another site gives the Packers a B- Grade:

" Green Bay Packers B- Kevin King and Montravius Adams were nice values. The Packers addressed running back by selecting three players at the position. "
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    The following players visited the GB Packers prior to the draft and were then drafted by the Packers.
    They are :

DeAngelo Yancey / WR / Purdue
    Kofi Amichia / OL / South Florida
    Devante Mays / RB / Utah State

All lies. TT is lazy and only had one player in for an interview.

Blog Entries
    Those who were paying attention saw this offseason as shaping up very differently for Thompson. Ted managed it better than most by doing some of the heavy lifting last year getting rid of Sitton a year earlier than expected. Still there were a number of important pieces coming due who were at different turning points in their careers as Packers to varying degrees and for various reasons - Lacy, Lang, Peppers, Tretter, Shields, Cook, Perry, Hyde, Starks, Jones, etc. That's a ton of production to lose and/or have to pay up for all in one year.

Big changes were almost inevitable and I believe Ted stayed true to his way this year rather than "evolving."

Extra picks help Ted Thompson retool Packers roster
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverstein
    The beauty of general manager Ted Thompson’s draft-and-develop system is that the Green Bay Packers never should be in a rebuilding mode.

As long as Thompson is making the right choices 50-60 percent of the time with his draft selections, the warehouse never should run out of goods. Whenever items are pulled off the shelves because someone paid a pretty price for them or their expiration dates passed or they become damaged, newer merchandise fills their place.

Of late, Thompson hasn’t had to restock his shelves all that much.
    But after watching his team crumble under the weight of injuries and inadequate depth, Thompson went out to retool his roster in a way he hadn’t since 2006 when he signed Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett and finagled 12 draft picks.
    Across the NFL, many of the front-office executives who help shape their teams' drafts have always viewed Ted Thompson as almost a God-like figure. He is, by some, literally worshipped.

They see the Packers' general manager as an OG, a genius, a model for how to run a team. They look at Thompson the way Starfleet captains look at James Kirk. Thompson's intelligence, his draft picks, his common-sense approach and the way he refuses to publicly pat himself on the back for some of the best picks of all time—like Aaron Rodgers—are just some of the reasons why he's so cherished.
    This idea that Thompson has somehow "evolved" and risen from the depths of yesterday's game are a gross oversimplification and a misunderstanding of what's happened this year. While he necessarily signed more FA's this offseason, those moves were necessitated by the state of the roster not by some new approach. He was still characteristically judicious about not overspending or over-reaching.

Ted Thompson has always assessed the state of the roster and acted in ways he feels appropriate for maintaining balance between short-term needs and long-term health of the roster. That balance is different this year, which has driven the moves he's made but his strategic approach to building a team to win now and in the future remains the same as it's always been.
    Last edited by vince; 05-01-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Killer post 31. Though I think it's fair to hold the GM responsible for drafting/adding players that can/will thrive within the circumstances of the team as constructed.

As you say it's more complex than simply assessing talent in a vacuum. I think your post says a lot about Ted's approach to player acquisition beyond the draft as well.
    That being said, Josh Jones was the perfect pick. He fills Hydes role this year, and Burnett is on the last year of his contract. Jones is a bigger body for the new hybrid ILB/S position we have been using. A good fit for this team right now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    That being said, Josh Jones was the perfect pick. He fills Hydes role this year, and Burnett is on the last year of his contract. Jones is a bigger body for the new hybrid ILB/S position we have been using. A good fit for this team right now.
    Agree. Jones fills both an immediate and potential long-term need.

If anything appears different this year it's been the transparency of moves that so clearly address "need." I think it's clear that's always been a big part of the value equation but with the important losses of this year's departures in specific areas and how close the team continues to be year after year, the "needs" jump out a lot more than in the past when there's been less "starting role veteran" roster turnover.
    Last edited by vince; 05-01-2017 at 03:14 PM.

This idea that Thompson has somehow "evolved" and risen from the depths of yesterday's game are a gross oversimplification and a misunderstanding of what's happened this year.
    exactly. he had to involved in free agency because of the high number of people he let go. he's the same ted. watching the $. i thought he did a good job in the draft addressing needs even though he passed over watt and foster. the cb position was just too needy to ignore.