Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pete Prisco's Team Grades for 2017 Draft

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    exactly. he had to involved in free agency because of the high number of people he let go. he's the same ted. watching the $. i thought he did a good job in the draft addressing needs even though he passed over watt and foster. the cb position was just too needy to ignore.
    Yeah I hoped he'd really break from character, do the easy fan-friendly thing and cut a huge check to one of the #1 corner FA's. That would have guaranteed nothing but obviously didn't happen regardless.

We'll see how Ted's way fits with 31's "whole infinite collection of variances that are set in motion" this year. Given the addition of King and House, along with the return to health - and appropriate placement down the pecking order - of Randall, Rollins and Gunter, I think the corners are likely to be improved.

One of those 31esque butterfly-effect variances that concerns me is what happens if/when Perry and/or Matthews miss time with injury... Someone who hasn't really shown up yet is gonna need to be there.

Injuries in key spots last year set variances in motion that decimated the pass defense and proved to be their undoing in the NFC Championship. Bottom line is, given their early up-tempo offensive approach and play-from-ahead game strategy, they probably don't need a top 10 pass defense - but I'd say they do need to be top 20. Top 31 got them schooled pretty hard by the league's premiere offense 2 wins short of the goal.

Many , including myself , don't think it is reasonable to grade a new draft class. In fact , many feel it is only fair to grade following 3 seasons of play. With that in mind , the 2014 GB Draft Class should be ready to be graded.

IMO, the best players from the 2014 Draft were Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix / DB / Alabama and Corey Linsley /C/Ohio State. Davante Adams/WR/Fresno St. is a little above average.
    I rate the 2014 GB Draft Class : C+

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

Blog Entries
    Now you're not only trolling this thread but you're trolling the 2014 class.

2014 Draft
    21 Dix
    53 Adams
    85 Thornton
    98 Rodgers
    121 Bradford
    161 Linsley
    176 Abbrederis
    197 Goodson
    236 Janis

2014 Notable UDFA's
    Joe Thomas
    Jayrone Elliott
    Mike Pennel
    Justin Perillo

3 solid core starters including a pro-bowler
    5 solid contributors including a couple ST aces
    5 more guys not good enough to be Packers but still in the league

That's a Grade A haul all day long.

There's not another team in the league who acquired that much value from that class - including the 20 teams with higher draft slots.
    2014 Draft by Team

Why do you have such an anti-Packer bias that you feel the need to troll so hard Rad?
    Last edited by vince; 05-02-2017 at 07:19 AM.

One of the best draft classes we've had. A year ago, Adams was not as highly thought of. The grade may not have been as high. Proves it takes at least three years for a good measurement.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Washington Post = Fake News

Another to add to the list.
    MSN.com
    Crap, A+ from the place that still has Hillary ahead in the Electoral count...
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Why do you have such an anti-Packer bias that you feel the need to troll so hard Rad?
    It makes people feel smart and superior to point out the failings (actual or perceived) of others.

Unfortunately, this theme of Thompson evolving has become a thing. Here is Mike Freeman doing a survey of the greatest, recent, hits.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...die-in-the-nfl

Just a couple things beyond what vince and gary wrote.

1. Its became clear that the solution to the Packer Offensive woes was a monster TE. It never before seemed that important, but against that man under cover 2, they needed him. Cook was a FA signing in 2016, which already runs counter to the narrative that Freeman and Spoon are pushing. Had his agent not tried to weasel a better deal at the last moment, he would have been resigned in a VERY Ted like move.

While Cook's agent was screwing around, Bennett came available and wanted to play for a winning team and I don't think his contract demand was at the far reaches of comprehension given his 2016 year. Pretty reasonable, slightly above Cook, for a more well rounded guy. Since he was replacing a FA signing himself, very Ted move for this position of sudden need. By sudden, I mean, prior to Cook, I would have gone to the mattresses arguing that TE was not that integral to McCarthy's offense. I was obviously wrong. Ted knew he needed a talent there and signed one like he did the year before.

Cook was the test case that TE was as vitally important as a top flight WR, as I bet M3 had been pointing out for some time.

2. DBs. The Defense had to be redone, obviously. Shields wasn't coming back and even if you agree with me that each of the young corners could become a #1 (Randall, Rollins, Gunter), the 2016 year made it clear that was no lock and even if one stepped forward, depth was a problem. Its not the first time Ted has remade a position in a short time period (QB, CB, ILB, TE, RB).

So he was going to collect DBs this offseason. House was a unique example of a prepared player available and ready for a bargain. Like resigning Jones after Jordy was hurt.

3. I do think Ted made one concession to his roster needing some retooling. Mid-range FAs. I suspect it was possible because he lost both offensive lineman in FA (Tretter and Lang) and did not expect to. He signed not only House at modest rates, but also Kendricks and Evans. Evans was need based, but I bet Kendricks was a coaching request. To have enough starter quality TEs (two plus backup) to reliably trot out 12 personnel (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) all season long to entice teams out of nickel. Or punish them if they stay in it.

But #3 is a long way from revolutionizing Ted's approach. He had a boatload of money (more than the normal boatload) and went shopping. If he returned to non-FA form after a successful 2017-18 season, I would not be surprised.
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-02-2017 at 09:54 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

In spite of TT, GB may have chosen well in the 2017 Draft. That remains to be seen down the road . I hope that the 2017 Packers will be SB Champions this season, but GB is not NE and I've learned not to get my hopes up too much with the current GM. The bad thing is that we will have wait to see how the next GM in GB preforms following 3 to 4 seasons . I'd be agreeable to giving Elliot Wolf a shot at the job.

If your not the lead dog , then the view never changes !

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    In spite of TT, GB may have chosen well in the 2017 Draft.
    This makes absolutely no sense. TT is in charge of the draft and makes the picks.

It would be similar to say if it wasn't for Augusta Nation Golf Club the Masters would suck.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

LOL, Radagast doing the best he can to not admit that maybe he is wrong. LOL!

In spite of Aaron Rodgers, Packers led the NFL in TD passes last year. I'd be agreeable to giving Brett Hundley a shot at the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    GB is not NE and I've learned not to get my hopes up too much with the current GM.
    Because, aside from the one exceptional team you just named, there are so many other GMs in the league with a better record of success than TT's, right?

Those who were paying attention saw this offseason as shaping up very differently for Thompson. Ted managed it better than most by doing some of the heavy lifting last year getting rid of Sitton a year earlier than expected. Still there were a number of important pieces coming due who were at different turning points in their careers as Packers to varying degrees and for various reasons - Lacy, Lang, Peppers, Tretter, Shields, Cook, Perry, Hyde, Starks, Jones, etc. That's a ton of production to lose and/or have to pay up for all in one year.

Big changes were almost inevitable and I believe Ted stayed true to his way this year rather than "evolving."

Extra picks help Ted Thompson retool Packers roster

This idea that Thompson has somehow "evolved" and risen from the depths of yesterday's game are a gross oversimplification and a misunderstanding of what's happened this year. While he necessarily signed more FA's this offseason, those moves were necessitated by the state of the roster not by some new approach. He was still characteristically judicious about not overspending or over-reaching.

Ted Thompson has always assessed the state of the roster and acted in ways he feels appropriate for maintaining balance between short-term needs and long-term health of the roster. That balance is different this year, which has driven the moves he's made but his strategic approach to building a team to win now and in the future remains the same as it's always been.
    Where is that second quote from?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Where is that second quote from?
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...die-in-the-nfl

I had a post about it somewhere in here I think, and Patler talked more at length about it in his thread.

Freeman is taking a few gibes WAY too seriously and overlooking the FAs Ted has actually signed.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I get so pissed off when people who are paid to write for a living - like the idiot who wrote the Bleacherreport article - don't seem to understand language. Here's the opening paragraph of that article:

"Across the NFL, many of the front-office executives who help shape their teams' drafts have always viewed Ted Thompson as almost a God-like figure. He is, by some, literally worshipped."

Does this guy have any idea what the word "literally" means? Or are there really a bunch of front office executives who get on their knees to worship little Ted Thompson statues they have set up on an altar in the corners of their offices?

"The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I get so pissed off when people who are paid to write for a living - like the idiot who wrote the Bleacherreport article - don't seem to understand language. Here's the opening paragraph of that article:

"Across the NFL, many of the front-office executives who help shape their teams' drafts have always viewed Ted Thompson as almost a God-like figure. He is, by some, literally worshipped."

Does this guy have any idea what the word "literally" means? Or are there really a bunch of front office executives who get on their knees to worship little Ted Thompson statues they have set up on an altar in the corners of their offices?

C'mon Fritz, definition 4 of Merriam Webster!

extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem - 'worship of the dollar'

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    C'mon Fritz, definition 4 of Merriam Webster!
    That's the definition of "literal"??
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

It's only literal in a figurative sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    It's only literal in a figurative sense.
    So it's metaphorically literal?

Good call!

I literally, in a metaphoric way, am laughing my ass off right now.

KYPack

That's the definition of "literal"??
    It's a millennial thing, don't you know? Max's D4 is close but the millennial usage means something closer to bigly. For instance: "I was sitting there trying to write my final paper, and I could not think of anything to say. Then, suddenly, a light bulb literally went off in my head."