Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adios McGinn

Adios McGinn

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...nel/101237304/

Too bad you can't take Cohen with you.
    I am better looking than you.

I like that he went out on top with his successful mock draft.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I like McGinn. Y'all can hate on him but he is universally respected as a reporter. He'll be missed. I like Cohen too. I'm not sure if he has Ty Dunne talent with words, but he is pretty good.

https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/sta...74713526198274
    Last edited by call_me_ishmael; 05-03-2017 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arcilite View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...nel/101237304/

Too bad you can't take Cohen with you.
    Gotta have at least one beat writer to bitch about on this board, or we'll get way too quiet in the off season.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I like McGinn. Y'all can hate on him but he is universally respected as a reporter. He'll be missed. I like Cohen too. I'm not sure if he has Ty Dunne talent with words, but he is pretty good.

https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/sta...74713526198274
    He turned sensationalist at the end. I liked him for most of his career, but the last few years he's either been mailing it in or flip flopping to tell whatever story he wants.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Blog Entries
    I'll miss his post-game in-depth film-study game review articles. Someone will pick that up no doubt but I'm not sure any of the current guys will do that as well as McGinn.

My guess is this isn't the last we'll hear of him, though it won't be breaking down games. He won't be able to keep himself from blessing the peasantry with his unique knowledge about what it really takes to win in the NFL.

I liked his scouting pieces and game analysis/breakdowns. His predraft coverage was excellent.

The other stuff, especially the last few years, was clickbait.

He's one of the better packer writers for JSO and I'll miss 65% of his columns. Good luck to him in retirement.

Where's Cleft Crusty when you need him?

Love his reported pieces, and as vince said his game reviews, especially the Tuesday grades after watching the replay. Same for season in total and by the numbers.

Disliked his sensationalistic "the sky is falling" weekend pieces to get fans to choke on their Cheerios.

Overall, we are less well informed today.

And he isn't leaving writing, he said he is moving back to Ann Arbor and will pursue other avenues. Not retiring.

So, do we get Bedard back?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Yeah, there's no room for reporters in the Green Bay universe if you aren't forever sucking at the cock of the organization

I did not know the dude was from A2.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

McGinn's writing that was based on watching film was outstanding. I wonder if anyone else will be willing to put the work in that he did. I just get the feeling that all the beat writers covering the Packers now are going to sound pretty much the same. I was critical of some of the stuff he wrote in recent years, but I was still glad he was doing it.

My only real issue with his articles is when he wrote things from a fact standpoint instead of opinion.

The guy was connected in the NFL, I think, and he certainly seemed to put a lot of work into some of his analyses. I didn't like all of his work - maybe the nature of the news game today demanded some of those dumb clickbait pieces, but on the whole he was a professional and I think he will be missed.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I just get the feeling that all the beat writers covering the Packers now are going to sound pretty much the same.
    ding ding ding

Why would anybody celebrate McGinn leaving just because he has strong opinions you sometimes disagree? Distinctive personalities are good. He was very serious about his job, and has a wealth of knowledge about how the Packers and NFL have operated in the past. He's smart.

I don't lament the ditching of all old-timers. Not to mention any names - Bud Lea - but some guys have lot of knowledge but are kinda bland.

Is Vic Ketchman leaving? http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28978-Vic-Ketchman
    That's another old timer who added personality - too opinionated for some.

I with you.
    I'll actually miss his perspective on things.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    McGinn knows his football. I have to wonder if journalism didn't demand 90% sensationalism, comment generation, page-views, and facebook shares what McGinn would have chosen to write. Also wonder how much of that was necessitated for business sake to account for the Packers boring and tight-lipped front office. Either way guys who know the game and get paid to write about your team are rare and valuable. I'll miss him once a less knowledgeable writer takes over the buzz-feed duties at the JS sports desk.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 05-04-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    ding ding ding

Why would anybody celebrate McGinn leaving just because he has strong opinions you sometimes disagree? Distinctive personalities are good. He was very serious about his job, and has a wealth of knowledge about how the Packers and NFL have operated in the past. He's smart.

I don't lament the ditching of all old-timers. Not to mention any names - Bud Lea - but some guys have lot of knowledge but are kinda bland.

Is Vic Ketchman leaving? http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?28978-Vic-Ketchman
    That's another old timer who added personality - too opinionated for some.
    Old-timers who are opinionated...
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I miss Christl. Nothing sensational there. I agree that the analytical part will be missed. Hopefully another guy steps up, but doubtful. <sigh> oh well. Sensationalist clickbait of the future, here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I miss Christl. Nothing sensational there. I agree that the analytical part will be missed. Hopefully another guy steps up, but doubtful. <sigh> oh well. Sensationalist clickbait of the future, here we come!
    Well, let's take a look at some not-so-distant future headlines from the next generation of Packer beat writers:

"Thompson Close-mouthed About Sexual Preferences"

"McCarthy Frustrated with Thompson's Style"

"Bennett Blowup Appears Imminent"

"Rodgers' Frustration Evident on the Field"

"Packers Unhappy and Angry: All Fingers Point at Thompson, McCarthy"

"Belichek to Green Bay?"

"Holmgren Hints at Return to Coaching; Green Bay a Possibility?"

KYPack