Thread: Future Value Sticker Shock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I intended to ask about this before. I don't understand your point about Tretter and Linsley. If anything, it proves that either way works, in spite of what Campen may have argued. Linsley was an experienced center, but Tretter was a two- year tight end who was converted to a tackle for two years, with no experience at center in college.
    Thompson drafted Linsley and all concurrent reporting and scouting had him pegged for Center. Tretter was slightly different but immediately after the draft, the Packers plan was not to cross train him, but stick him at Center.

That was not the usual plan of attack. He had kept and paid Wells, signed FA Saturday and shuffled cross trained guys over to center before (both UDFAs-Barclay- and more permanent drafted fixtures-Sitton and Lang).

But he had not drafted people destined for Center before. And Campen reported the benefits were obvious.

Is this actually evidence of Thompson changing him mind? Probably not. But it was evidence that drafting a player and fitting him into Center was a viable and worthy strategy. I actually think Ted would prefer to draft Tretter again rather than a one position player like Linsley, but both worked out.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Thompson drafted Linsley and all concurrent reporting and scouting had him pegged for Center. Tretter was slightly different but immediately after the draft, the Packers plan was not to cross train him, but stick him at Center.

That was not the usual plan of attack. He had kept and paid Wells, signed FA Saturday and shuffled cross trained guys over to center before (both UDFAs-Barclay- and more permanent drafted fixtures-Sitton and Lang).

But he had not drafted people destined for Center before. And Campen reported the benefits were obvious.

Is this actually evidence of Thompson changing him mind? Probably not. But it was evidence that drafting a player and fitting him into Center was a viable and worthy strategy. I actually think Ted would prefer to draft Tretter again rather than a one position player like Linsley, but both worked out.
    As far as that goes, when they drafted Spitz they said he would end up at center, but they needed him at guard at first. I think he was there some already his second season, like Tretter. I suspect Tretter would have been "cross trained" his rookie year too, but he was injured in his first OTA and missed the season, except for a couple practices late. Letting EDS walk rushed his development for year 2 at center, but he was soon their super-sub and did some practicing elsewhere too.

Linsley may be a lost cause anywhere but center.

There is talk now that Amichia could end up at center, too. It will be interesting to see where all he practices.