Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: But Can He Lead?

But Can He Lead?

Rodgers gets his veteran O line some toys.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...for-christmas/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Rodgers gets his veteran O line some toys.
    His vet o-lineman are on the Bears, Lions and Browns.

Jahri Evans will be an upgrade from Lang - mark my words. Sitton faded badly, and in hindsight, letting him go was a good move.

I hope those things have good roll bars. We don't need no stinking off-road vehicle injuries.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Jahri Evans will be an upgrade from Lang - believe me.
    FIFY

I'm not really arguing whether the cutting of those vets was a good or bad move in the current system. I'm just grinding an old axe - the fantasy that there really is a "team". Well, there is a team every year enjoying a one-year stand. The hard cap sucks, there are better ways to balance interests - keeping teams together, preventing dominance by deep-pocketed franchizes, and still allowing a degree of free agency. The fan interest (maintaining some continuity of players) is completely ignored with the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    FIFY

I'm not really arguing whether the cutting of those vets was a good or bad move in the current system. I'm just grinding an old axe - the fantasy that there really is a "team". Well, there is a team every year enjoying a one-year stand. The hard cap sucks, there are better ways to balance interests - keeping teams together, preventing dominance by deep-pocketed franchizes, and still allowing a degree of free agency. The fan interest (maintaining some continuity of players) is completely ignored with the current system.
    Part of what he is doing here is helping to keep it a team.

And while older guys move on more frequently, Bulaga is getting close to the 10 year benchmark in the League. Bach in on his second contract (though he wasn't in those pics). They aren't that young. Even Barclay is in second contract territory. In a League of where the average tenure is 3-4 years, I think the team concept holds true.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

In a League of where the average tenure is 3-4 years, I think the team concept holds true.
    The average NFL career is only 2.66 years, so the typical stay with one team is less than that:
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/01/nf...-data-analysis

I don't need stats to tell me that the turnover in NFL is constant and absurd. All those articles last fall about Jared Cook. Starters may last for a contract period. I can't even keep up with the names of the players on the defensive front seven. It's a revolving door. How many running backs have been in and out the past 5 years?

It takes 3-4 seasons to develop an attachment to a player.

The Packer "team" each year is like a fantasy football team chosen by TT. That's an exaggeration, but the constant turnover to younger, cheaper guys is like an endless mill.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 05-26-2017 at 08:14 AM.

pbmax, you are an EXTREME NFL fan. All power and glory to you for it. I follow less closely. Maybe if I were deeper into it, I would know all the players around the league better, the turnover would not be so bothersome. For the more casual fan who just wants to primarily develop an attachment to a team, the turnovers sucks major ass. I can't make myself care about a new crop of offensive linemen every year - they're all just fat guys to me now. <sniff>

House is back on the team. So there's that.

Can the seats in those things really hold a 290 lb guy? Or is Rodgers going to have to pay to have the seats taken out and new, larger ones put in?

What if one of the guys carps about that Polaris model being a cheap-ass edition, and why the hell didn't a guy making 23 mill a year buy the decked-out version?

And how many of the guys on the offensive line get one? Linsley, Bulaga, Bahktieri, Taylor, sure, but does Evans get one? If Kyle Murphy gets one, does Lucas Patrick? And what about that Geoff Grey, that Canadian guy who just signed? Or does he just get a mini-bike?

Man, this leadership thing. It's hard.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

What about Ripkowski and other RBs who also protected his butt?
    He is trying to buy his friends.

The WRs should start dropping everything that takes an effort to catch.

From the article, source unknown:

It appears Bryan Bulaga, Lane Taylor, Corey Linsley and Don Barclay all received their new toys on Wednesday. David Bakhtiari, T.J. Lang, Jason Spriggs and Kyle Murphy could be next, although Lang’s ATV might need to get a blue shade of paint.

Either way, Rodgers paid a pretty penny for the gifts.

According to the Polaris website, the 2017 General retails between $16,000-$20,000, based on model. Eight of them would run well over $100,000.

From the article, source unknown:
    How much of a discount do you think he got for the inevitable free advertising that would and did come from his purchases?

Elite pro athletes can earn $100,000 for a tweet.

The Polaris deal got a story in USA Today. Plus invaluable mentions by internet icon pbmax.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers paid full price because a free present is a little tacky, and the money is insignificant to him.
    Or it could easily be completely free. More investigative work is needed - follow the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    How much of a discount do you think he got for the inevitable free advertising that would and did come from his purchases?
    No idea. But I doubt they were looking for coverage on the packers wire blog on the USAToday website. So it might not be anywhere close to Harlan's number, unless Rodgers actually covered it on social media.

I just googled "Rodgers Polaris" and the story is on TMZ, Fox TV stations, CBS Sports, ESPN..., hundreds of hits from past week, many with pictures of the Polaris ATV. What's that worth?

I saw somewhere that athletes with huge twitter followings can get paid over $100K for a mere twitter mention. That leads me to think that a story that gets picked up by lots of outlets must be worth millions.

How many hairs do you want to split?

Its on ESPN. The Packers beat writers blog. I think we all know how huge Demovsky is in the sports vehicle vertical market's influencers role.

CBS. Straightforward story under NFL by Sean Wagner-McGough. I don't think I have to wikipedia him for you.

TMZ. OK. Maybe there is a Kardashian market for these?

FoxTV stations should tell you all you need to know. Local TV stations. Same places that used to run Chewy's horrible Ford dealer ads.

However, as Chewy said later, the entire idea was to do the ad to get a free car. So there is something

Its a nice run of coverage, but hardly big by even social media standards. The biggest outlet for marketing on social media is Instagram. Haven't seen it there. Rodgers re-tweeted Bulaga's Tweet about the gift. Its on the front page of nothing.

But he did either get paid or get something off the top, from the ESPN and Demovsky:

"Polaris and Aaron partnered to give his linemen the ultimate thank-you gift," a Polaris spokesperson told ESPN.
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-28-2017 at 10:01 AM.

How many hairs do you want to split?

Its on ESPN. The Packers beat writers blog. I think we all know how huge Demovsky is in the sports vehicle vertical influencers role.
    It is on hundreds of sites, both narrowly and broadly focused. You dismiss Packer sites as too narrow, TMZ as too broad. Stories on local news don't count? It was undoubtedly on lots of TV screens.

It got lots of coverage and you can't admit you were wrong.

#loser #sad

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    It is on hundreds of sites, both narrowly and broadly focused. You dismiss Packer sites as too narrow, TMZ as too broad. Stories on local news don't count? It was undoubtedly on lots of TV screens.

It got lots of coverage and you can't admit you were wrong.
    We could keep going

I didn't say it got no coverage. I just said it was limited.

70 year olds waiting 25 minutes for a weather forecast on local news aren't buying ATVs.

But mainly I missed out that the one outfit in position to love the narrow coverage are the local Wisconsin Polaris dealers. I am sure they love this. As usual, Chewy was right.

I'm so glad Mad got the site back up so we can have hard hitting debates about the Rachel of advertising.