Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
Anyone who had a good understanding of pre-merger football talent is dead and has probably been dead for 15 years.
Smug, I'd nail you harder, but I know you are a great poster.

I'm 68 and also undead. Went to my first Packer game in 1957. I hardly believe that myself. I was 8 years old. Joe posted that he took his son to a game when his son was 8. Loved that comment. At 8 years old, I had no clue what was going on. There were adult men in suits and shit, smoking cigars and getting hammered.

The game was at County stadium in Milwaukee. Packers vs the 49ers. Both teams had gold helmets and the guys looked like super heroes. The Packers had gold helmets with a red stripe, greenish/blue jerseys with gold numerals and gold pants. Very sharp unis. I said to my dad, "I thought the Green Bay Packers wore green" He said, "so did I".

In 1960, I finally made to a game at City Stadium. Pack vs the NFL Champs, the Baltimore Colts. A beautiful sunny day in Green Bay. The Pack killed the defending champs. In the second quarter, I gazed around the stadium, smelling the cigar smoke and seeing the happy fans, I thought "this must be what heaven is like".

There are a lot of old time, alive fans who remember football from the long ago time. It was great and still is now.