Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All Underrated Team: Three Packer Connections

All Underrated Team: Three Packer Connections

This is all-time, not current era. Early warning for KYPack, Patler, Shadow, oldbutnotdeadyet, Fritz and all posters who remember the 1974 Packers. There is some rare John Hadl praise in here (though not specifically for his Packer stint).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...in-nfl-history

Contains my favorite paragraph of the off-season so far:

No modern coach suppressed passing offenses quite like Fisher, and no team produces offensive stats that look like they come from the early 1930s quite like the Ravens. Derrick Mason's 95-catch, 1,200-yard seasons translate to 115-catch monsters in more pass-oriented schemes. Put him on the Tom Brady-led Patriots, and Mason might have invented a new branch of mathematics.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Nice to see Butler get his due. Only a shoulder injury cost him the Hall Of Fame.

One slight disagreement. This is pretty much a Super Bowl-era list, not an all-time list.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Nice to see Butler get his due. Only a shoulder injury cost him the Hall Of Fame.

One slight disagreement. This is pretty much a Super Bowl-era list, not an all-time list.
    Its got some good AFL stuff in there.

Its also 2017. Everyone before the AFL is underrated.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Anyone who had a good understanding of pre-merger football talent is dead and has probably been dead for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Anyone who had a good understanding of pre-merger football talent is dead and has probably been dead for 15 years.
    I beg to differ! At least I don't think I am dead!

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I believe I am dead, but I do remember 1974 Packers! Hell, even the 60's packers, yet I did pedal bike from Minneapolis to Rhinelander last summer so I am truly OLD BUT NOT DEAD YET!

Yippee doo...

I'm ancient too.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    I believe I am dead, but I do remember 1974 Packers! Hell, even the 60's packers, yet I did pedal bike from Minneapolis to Rhinelander last summer so I am truly OLD BUT NOT DEAD YET!

Yippee doo...
    I remember when Lombardi was hired, and I try to run at least 100 miles/month; so without claiming the name I guess I am old but not dead yet, too!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Its got some good AFL stuff in there.

Its also 2017. Everyone before the AFL is underrated.

Where the hell is Bert Jones on that list? He was Brett Favre before there was a Brett Favre.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Where the hell is Bert Jones on that list? He was Brett Favre before there was a Brett Favre.
    Bert Jones' career was actually worse than you remember, if you go back and look at it........

Bert Jones' career was actually worse than you remember, if you go back and look at it........
    The Colts had one really good year with Jones at QB; I recall they were coached by Ted Marchibroda (could be wrong) and were, other than that year, pretty dysfunctional. But I remember Jones as having a rocket arm and good accuracy, so don't mess with my memory by going back to actual facts and statistics.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

The Colts had one really good year with Jones at QB; I recall they were coached by Ted Marchibroda (could be wrong) and were, other than that year, pretty dysfunctional. But I remember Jones as having a rocket arm and good accuracy, so don't mess with my memory by going back to actual facts and statistics.
    He actually covered the Bert omission:

Mike Tanier @MikeTanier May 29
    Several of these guys were on my watch list. I'm also banned from the Internet from writing any more about Bert Jones.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/wal...ory-1981-colts

Naw, wasn't going to do that. Just a play on your Quote of KYP in your signature.

Jones probably didn't play long enough to merit much consideration. He looked like a possible budding star early, but was hurt, traded and out of the league in relatively quick sequence when he should have been just hitting his stride as a QB.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He actually covered the Bert omission:

Mike Tanier @MikeTanier May 29
    Several of these guys were on my watch list. I'm also banned from the Internet from writing any more about Bert Jones.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/wal...ory-1981-colts
    Guess I should have read farther before responding!

Yeah I supposed I should have qualified it better. Not just understand of *some* pre-1970 ball, but a good first-hand account of the league for all of the period from 1920 to 1970. Anyone who was ten years old in 1920 is 107 this year. Haha.

Blog Entries
    Good list. Let's hope Jahri Evans is still underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Yeah I supposed I should have qualified it better. Not just understand of *some* pre-1970 ball, but a good first-hand account of the league for all of the period from 1920 to 1970. Anyone who was ten years old in 1920 is 107 this year. Haha.
    Lem Barney was a pretty good cornerback for the Lions for a number of years.

KYPack

Lem Barney was a pretty good cornerback for the Lions for a number of years.
    He's in the NFL Hall of Fame, isn't he?

Shut up, you'll be stone dead in a moment (little monty python humor)
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

So was Favre's....oh damn, here we go.

We'll never forget you bert!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.