Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: All Underrated Team: Three Packer Connections

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He's in the NFL Hall of Fame, isn't he?
    Oops.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Anyone who had a good understanding of pre-merger football talent is dead and has probably been dead for 15 years.
    Smug, I'd nail you harder, but I know you are a great poster.

I'm 68 and also undead. Went to my first Packer game in 1957. I hardly believe that myself. I was 8 years old. Joe posted that he took his son to a game when his son was 8. Loved that comment. At 8 years old, I had no clue what was going on. There were adult men in suits and shit, smoking cigars and getting hammered.

The game was at County stadium in Milwaukee. Packers vs the 49ers. Both teams had gold helmets and the guys looked like super heroes. The Packers had gold helmets with a red stripe, greenish/blue jerseys with gold numerals and gold pants. Very sharp unis. I said to my dad, "I thought the Green Bay Packers wore green" He said, "so did I".

In 1960, I finally made to a game at City Stadium. Pack vs the NFL Champs, the Baltimore Colts. A beautiful sunny day in Green Bay. The Pack killed the defending champs. In the second quarter, I gazed around the stadium, smelling the cigar smoke and seeing the happy fans, I thought "this must be what heaven is like".

There are a lot of old time, alive fans who remember football from the long ago time. It was great and still is now.

Good stuff, ky....

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Yup, my favorite picture and my computer wallpaper is the first game I took my son to. He was 7 at the time.

My in-laws, who are in their mid-80s, bought Packer tickets the first year the Packers played in Milwaukee. He still loves to talk about the old time Packers.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Blog Entries
    Hey, how about a post that ties it all together in one game. John Hadl, County Stadium, & the worst trade of all time?

Because as per usual, KY was there.

In October of '74, I went to Milwaukee with my crew of buddies to see the Pack play the LA rams. We all basically thought the Pack was gonna lose. The Rams were 12-2 the year before. One of their players I wanted to check-out was their QB, John Hadl. Hadl had been the NFC Most Valuable Player in '73. Hadl had also been a real big deal in the AFL for all those years, zinging long passes to Lance Alworth and those great Charger receivers. This shaped up to be a good ball game. It was a great game, but for the G&G, not the Lambs.

Hadl was impressive all right. He impressed me as a guy who was totally washed up. He looked shorter than he appeared in many highlight films of the past. He was stubby looking, short arms and legs. His passes were gross, his arm had apparently lost whatever zip it had once had. The Packer D was on fire, making 4 interceptions (3 by OLB Ted Hendricks). They added another TD on a punt return. The Rams benched Hadl in the 3rd quarter. He slumped on the bench and took off his Rams Horn blue helmet. He got lots of static for displaying his bald head while he was hunkered down on the Pine. The last pass he tossed would be the last ball he ever threw for the LA Rams. How Devine could make the trade he would pull 10 days later is beyond me. Five high draft picks over the next 3 years. 2 #1's, 2 # 2s, and a third. Ridiculous price for a has-been QB.

But Devine did have to do something. Packer QB Jerry Tagge was even worse. Tagge completed all of TWO passes. For a net yardage -1 yard. It remains today as the most pathetic display of QBing a team that I have ever seen. Tagge matched Hadl in another category. His last pass was the last one he ever threw for GB.

Tagge's trade value was zero. but so was Hadl. LA had one thing in it's favor. They had a pigeon in Dan Devine. And pluck their pigeon they did. Devine didn't care.

After the last game with Atlanta, pigeon Devine flew the coop for South Bend. He got the ND college job and never paid any attention to the carnage he caused in GB.

DD was a fool and an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    ...and his dog agrees.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Holy Shit but you are old, KY.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Holy Shit but you are old, KY.
    So was Hadl

I've never seen a guy deteriorate that quickly in one season.

It would have been a lot cooler if we didn't get him.

Hey, how about a post that ties it all together in one game. John Hadl, County Stadium, & the worst trade of all time?

Because as per usual, KY was there.

In October of '74, I went to Milwaukee with my crew of buddies to see the Pack play the LA rams. We all basically thought the Pack was gonna lose. The Rams were 12-2 the year before. One of their players I wanted to check-out was their QB, John Hadl. Hadl had been the NFC Most Valuable Player in '73. Hadl had also been a real big deal in the AFL for all those years, zinging long passes to Lance Alworth and those great Charger receivers. This shaped up to be a good ball game. It was a great game, but for the G&G, not the Lambs.

Hadl was impressive all right. He impressed me as a guy who was totally washed up. He looked shorter than he appeared in many highlight films of the past. He was stubby looking, short arms and legs. His passes were gross, his arm had apparently lost whatever zip it had once had. The Packer D was on fire, making 4 interceptions (3 by OLB Ted Hendricks). They added another TD on a punt return. The Rams benched Hadl in the 3rd quarter. He slumped on the bench and took off his Rams Horn blue helmet. He got lots of static for displaying his bald head while he was hunkered down on the Pine. The last pass he tossed would be the last ball he ever threw for the LA Rams. How Devine could make the trade he would pull 10 days later is beyond me. Five high draft picks over the next 3 years. 2 #1's, 2 # 2s, and a third. Ridiculous price for a has-been QB.

But Devine did have to do something. Packer QB Jerry Tagge was even worse. Tagge completed all of TWO passes. For a net yardage -1 yard. It remains today as the most pathetic display of QBing a team that I have ever seen. Tagge matched Hadl in another category. His last pass was the last one he ever threw for GB.

Tagge's trade value was zero. but so was Hadl. LA had one thing in it's favor. They had a pigeon in Dan Devine. And pluck their pigeon they did. Devine didn't care.

After the last game with Atlanta, pigeon Devine flew the coop for South Bend. He got the ND college job and never paid any attention to the carnage he caused in GB.

Hey KY, no shit, I was at that game. My first Packer game. Please let me know if my memory serves me correct - on one of the first snap's of the game the Rams quarterback bobbled the ball, picked it up and ran something like 44 yards for the TD. Either that or Hadl fumbled, the Rams picked it up and ran it back. Either way, the rout was on, but I held out hope, still being sealed in my plastic bag of innocence.

It was a nice, sunny, warm day. We were sitting along the first base line.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Hey KY, no shit, I was at that game. My first Packer game. Please let me know if my memory serves me correct - on one of the first snap's of the game the Rams quarterback bobbled the ball, picked it up and ran something like 44 yards for the TD. Either that or Hadl fumbled, the Rams picked it up and ran it back. Either way, the rout was on, but I held out hope, still being sealed in my plastic bag of innocence.

It was a nice, sunny, warm day. We were sitting along the first base line.
    Man, We were behind the Rams bench, that was way down the right field (1st base I guess). At the County, both teams benches were on the same side of the field. No Ram scored a TD that day. They were limited to 2 FG's. Some goofy shit happened in the Rams last drive, when James Harris took over for Hadl. I don't remember a QB fumble, but hell, it could've happened.

That was a weird game in several respects. Bad blood developed btw both teams. The Rams thought they had the game in the bag and weren't ready for the ferocity displayed by both Packer lines. The crowd got into it and the Rams got frustrated and pissed. Neither team could pass the ball. Hadl complete 6 passes and Tagge completed 2. Early on, Tagge threw a ridiculous pass that was underthrown by 10 yards or more. A Ram DB picked it up on the bounce and made a mock return with the ball, to the laughter of the Rams on the sideline. Hendricks, Freddy Carr and other Packers were up and screaming at the Rams. it was on. Both teams had to rely on running the ball bc of the inept play at QB. it was like a game from the 1920's.

I had a great time, it was probably the best game of a shit year for the Pack.

Man, We were behind the Rams bench, that was way down the right field (1st base I guess). At the County, both teams benches were on the same side of the field. No Ram scored a TD that day. They were limited to 2 FG's. Some goofy shit happened in the Rams last drive, when James Harris took over for Hadl. I don't remember a QB fumble, but hell, it could've happened.

That was a weird game in several respects. Bad blood developed btw both teams. The Rams thought they had the game in the bag and weren't ready for the ferocity displayed by both Packer lines. The crowd got into it and the Rams got frustrated and pissed. Neither team could pass the ball. Hadl complete 6 passes and Tagge completed 2. Early on, Tagge threw a ridiculous pass that was underthrown by 10 yards or more. A Ram DB picked it up on the bounce and made a mock return with the ball, to the laughter of the Rams on the sideline. Hendricks, Freddy Carr and other Packers were up and screaming at the Rams. it was on. Both teams had to rely on running the ball bc of the inept play at QB. it was like a game from the 1920's.
    I had a great time, it was probably the best game of a shit year for the Pack.
    Good stuff KY. Go to about the 16:15 mark to check out the game highlights: