Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is one thing that could happen that would make you optimistic about this year?

He's not too shabby at finding WRs, either.

If Prince Obi picked up NFL speed immediately and turned into another Thompson late round gem making us forget Lang. I love me a dominant OL, and I already miss the running game that Sitton and Lang helped provide. I want our OL to play so well everyone praises Thompson on find 3 great RB's at the end of the draft along with monte rushing for 1000 yards.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I would argue that Lacy's first or second year had a more complete backfield with Starks. This year we have Montgomery (who appears to be legit) and a bunch of unknowns. I want to see them play before anointing them.
    Agreed on seeing them play... I think the potential is there, and this happening "would make me optimistic about the year."

I personally wouldn't consider Lacy/Starks to have been much of a dual-threat with any consistency. Lacy's only year with any receiving success was 2014 (42 for 427 - 26.7 ypg). Since then he's been pretty much invisible in the passing game. Starks did OK in 2015 (392 yds receiving) but did virtually nothing before or since.

My hope (cause for optimism if it happens) is that the upgraded TE group can also impact the RB's both running and receiving...

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Yeah, it will be interesting to see what his upside is. He was barely 20 years old when the Packers drafted him. Even though he's in his 2nd year, only 2 players on the roster are as young as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Considering the source, it's not too surprising that the piece reads like he'll be the next superstar. However there were a comments from Clark that are very encouraging. First when his playing time started dropping, he responded by working harder in practice, and second he worked hard in the off season to improve strength and explosiveness, and the results are showing.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Considering the source, it's not too surprising that the piece reads like he'll be the next superstar. However there were a comments from Clark that are very encouraging. First when his playing time started dropping, he responded by working harder in practice, and second he worked hard in the off season to improve strength and explosiveness, and the results are showing.
    He simply didn't show much all season. Think he was way overdrafted, and has a limited ceiling.

I'm more hopeful for Lowry.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    He simply didn't show much all season. Think he was way overdrafted, and has a limited ceiling.

I'm more hopeful for Lowry.
    He's 20 so projecting his ceiling is pretty tough IMO. He did underwhelm last year so probably was over drafted, but the big fatties get better at 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    He's 20 so projecting his ceiling is pretty tough IMO. He did underwhelm last year so probably was over drafted, but the big fatties get better at 25.
    His playoff performance was above average. That's saying something for a rookie d-lineman.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    His playoff performance was above average. That's saying something for a rookie d-lineman.
    Yep. The rookie year is all about getting better. Not that many rookies are great from Week 1. Especially Defensive tackles, who have a huge adjustment to make.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Yep. The rookie year is all about getting better. Not that many rookies are great from Week 1. Especially Defensive tackles, who have a huge adjustment to make.
    and are 20 year old underclassmen when drafted. Clark's still a baby in the NFL trenches.

I shouldn't be surprised, but wist, how can you not see a high ceiling for Clark? Quick, agile, active, strong, young, still learning technique... a wrestler who can move and is still figuring out how to use his quickness and strength to gain leverage inside - and is still maturing, learning and growing.... What doesn't he have that limits his ceiling, other than a position not suited to statistical achievement? In terms of what he's asked to do and his willingness to do that effectively, that kid's got high ceiling written all over him. In terms of raw ability, Daniels doesn't have a thing on him. He appears to have a pretty damn good work ethic too, which is promising.

I don't remember Ol' Cletidus ever being accused of "killing it in the weight room" after his rookie year.... and look at how great he was...
    Last edited by vince; 06-02-2017 at 11:51 PM.

If this defense can be just average I like our chances. Our offense should give CDs nightmares this year. We made it to the NFCC game with that terrible defense last year.

I'm excited for

Kenny Clark. Word is, he's come back a beast!
    Damarious Randall - gonna have that davante Adams bounce back from health year
    Davante Adams - gonna be a beast!
    Marty Bennett - gonna help the run/pass balance
    Jordy - full year after injury. Think this will be his last monster year
    Montgomery - looks big!!!! He's a running back now
    Brice - showed promise as a rookie. Should be improved!

I'm also excited to see what the rookie batch brings.

Clark might be a star tho! I'm getting a really good feeling about his chances of breaking out!

You get playmaker years out of
    Rodgers
    Nelson
    Adams
    Daniels
    Clark
    Mathews
    Perry
    Clinton dix
    And maybe Randall or king or that rookie lb who runs 4.4...... could be that year!

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Agreed on seeing them play... I think the potential is there, and this happening "would make me optimistic about the year."

I personally wouldn't consider Lacy/Starks to have been much of a dual-threat with any consistency. Lacy's only year with any receiving success was 2014 (42 for 427 - 26.7 ypg). Since then he's been pretty much invisible in the passing game. Starks did OK in 2015 (392 yds receiving) but did virtually nothing before or since.

My hope (cause for optimism if it happens) is that the upgraded TE group can also impact the RB's both running and receiving...
    It doesn't matter how good of RB's they have. Stubby will refuse to use them anyway.

Blog Entries
    It's one thing to criticize when it's warranted but that's just ridiculous IMO.

Here's the Packers' point production and league rank over the last decade under McCarthy. You want to criticize him for not using RB's enough?

Yr. .. Pts. .. Rank
    2007 .. 435 .. 4
    2008 .. 419 .. 5
    2009 .. 461 .. 3
    2010 .. 388 .. 10
    2011 .. 560 .. 1
    2012 .. 433 .. 5
    2013 .. 417 .. 8
    2014 .. 486 .. 1
    2015 .. 368 .. 15
    2016 .. 432 .. 4

Avg. .. 439.9 .. 5.6

That's as consistently elite as it gets. There's likely one team in the league who can outperform that decade of production. How exactly has McCarthy's utilization of RB's hurt the team?

Packer RB touches generally go up when the team is winning/controlling/finishing games - not vice versa - which is why I think RB production is cause for optimism. That doesn't mean they should be running the ball more early in games. Running more (and effectively) and/or controlling the clock with short passes to backs throughout, but particularly late in games is also the sign of defensive and passing game success I'm hoping to see.
    Last edited by vince; 06-06-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Packers usually are in the middle of the pack as far as rushing attempts per game are concerned. They ran the ball less last year, but I think that can be attributed to the injury situation at running back, and perhaps to the Packers being behind more than usual. It wouldn't make any sense for a team with Aaron Rogers to lead the NFL in rushing attempts. Going back to 2015, the Packers finished 13th in rushing attempts. This was higher than Atlanta (16th) (Matt Ryan), New Orleans (20th) (Drew Brees) or New England (25th) (Tom Brady).

With better health and depth at the RB position this year, and better blocking from the TE position, I would look for the Packers to get to closer to their 2015 numbers in rushing attempts.

If only Belicheck would commit to the run more, the Patriots might win some games.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    If only Belicheck would commit to the run more, the Patriots might win some games.
    Sometimes - make that rarely - even I can appreciate your sarcasm.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    It doesn't matter how good of RB's they have. Stubby will refuse to use them anyway.
    You nag more than my wife when I leave my underwear in the bathroom sink.

Bitching about rb utilization on this team shows how good our O is imo.

I think what gives me cause for optimism is that for the first time since Raji second year I am excited to see our dl. Clark came up big in the last 6 games last year. I think he will be one of the motors on d this year.