Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Schum out

Schum out

Packers released Schum:
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...hum/362171001/

The musical chairs at punter continues. He was waived-injured with a back injury, so either the Packers didn't think he would heal, or just thought he wasn't good enough.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Good Move. Maybe bring in another UDFA for competition, but it seems like Vogel is a major upgrade from Schum.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Good Move. Maybe bring in another UDFA for competition, but it seems like Vogel is a major upgrade from Schum.
    What have you heard? He is a UDFA from Miami, no pro track record.

Seems ludicrous to trust him to be ready as a rookie.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

I don't think they cut Schum because of him, I think they cut Schum because he came back injured and they didn't see a need to tie up a roster spot for him, when they can probably resign him if he gets healthy. I doubt there is a line of GM's waiting for Schum to be available.

I expect there will be another punter on the roster before TC starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I don't think they cut Schum because of him, I think they cut Schum because he came back injured and they didn't see a need to tie up a roster spot for him, when they can probably resign him if he gets healthy. I doubt there is a line of GM's waiting for Schum to be available.

I expect there will be another punter on the roster before TC starts.
    I agree with you. I wanted to know why tex thought it was an upgrade and worth the risk.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I agree with you. I wanted to know why tex thought it was an upgrade and worth the risk.
    Hyperbole

meh. he did lead the league in fewest punts returned, or fewest return yards, or something like that though.

I know ..... I meant maybe bring in another one in case Vogel doesn't pan out.

I don't see any reason he can't do well as a rookie, though.

oops...it was lowest % of returnable punts.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    oops...it was lowest % of returnable punts.
    It felt like every time we needed a good punt he hit a 32 yarder that went out of bounds for no return.

I remember at warm-ups last year and watching Schum boom punts before games. He never got off a punt close to his warm-ups in game action.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    It felt like every time we needed a good punt he hit a 32 yarder that went out of bounds for no return.

I remember at warm-ups last year and watching Schum boom punts before games. He never got off a punt close to his warm-ups in game action.
    Against both Dallas and Atlanta in the playoffs he averaged 54 yards per punt. I thought he got off to a bad start last year but then really turned it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Against both Dallas and Atlanta in the playoffs he averaged 54 yards per punt. I thought he got off to a bad start last year but then really turned it around.
    me too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Yeah Schum was 16th ranked in net average for the year at 39.8, but the last 3 games (playoff games) he netted 43.4 which would have been 3rd in the league had he done that all year.

It's all about net average in Green Bay, the ball just doesn't travel as far, and Schum did an underrated job overall I think. He's replaceable though obviously.

Don't drop the ball here Teddy. Maybe there's some Austrailian who can run around, threaten some first downs and "kick it where they ain't" when he can't get the first down...
    Last edited by vince; 06-02-2017 at 11:18 PM.

The key is can Vogel do the job as holder for Crosby. I was hoping they woulda kept that guy last year who came from Green Bay, went to U. of Minnesota, and won some award as the Big Ten's best holder, in addition to having damn good punting numbers and some all around athleticism. Maybe still bring him in to compete.

In general, though, there's no reason I can think of why a punter would not have as good numbers in the NFL as college, and therefore, not be decent right from the start as a pro.

In general, though, there's no reason I can think of why a punter would not have as good numbers in the NFL as college, and therefore, not be decent right from the start as a pro.
    You can't just look at a punter's numbers in college and expect them to translate to the NFL. Often punters in college can get away with bad practices or forms that you can't do at this level. The biggest thing is the snap to kick time. Look at how many colleges have these rugby style punters who take a bunch of steps before kicking. That won't fly against an NFL rush. Even with normal punters, many take an extra step or are just a bit slower than needed for the NFL. Fixing those problems can screw up a punters consistency.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Why the hell not? Possible better rush on the guy is cancelled out by better protection. If somebody averages 43 or 44 yards with good placement and height in top level college, there's no reason not to expect it in the NFL. Ditto that with place kickers. There are a helluva lot of both coming out every year. There shouldn't be any reason to pay them big money. Ted is right to treat them like they are disposable.

Why the hell not? Possible better rush on the guy is cancelled out by better protection. If somebody averages 43 or 44 yards with good placement and height in top level college, there's no reason not to expect it in the NFL. Ditto that with place kickers. There are a helluva lot of both coming out every year. There shouldn't be any reason to pay them big money. Ted is right to treat them like they are disposable.
    For one thing, the football is different. So the kicks are different.

In Madison, this is referred to as the Kevin Stemke effect. Unless you are Mike Lucas and you blame the GB coaches for screwing him up.

One NFL punter said the difference is this: in college he stood still, caught an arched snap, secured the ball, then started his three-step approach to the kick. In the NFL he had to catch a line-drive snap as he was starting his two-step approach to the kick. Everything is just much faster, just as it is in every aspect of the game for players coming from college to the pros in every sport.

If Vogel struggles I wouldn't be surprised if they bring Schum back, if his injury is healed. Right now, they may not want to tie up a roster spot with a punter who can't punt.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    One NFL punter said the difference is this: in college he stood still, caught an arched snap, secured the ball, then started his three-step approach to the kick. In the NFL he had to catch a line-drive snap as he was starting his two-step approach to the kick. Everything is just much faster, just as it is in every aspect of the game for players coming from college to the pros in every sport.
    To add to this, there are different rules for the "ineligible player downfield" penalty. In the NFL, only the players at the side of the formation, the "gunners", are allowed to run toward the punt returner as soon as the ball is snapped. All the rest of those along the line of scrimmage can't go more than a yard forward until the ball is kicked.

Under NCAA rules, the linemen can run toward the punt returner right after the snap. So many of the linemen take advantage of this and run forward after the snap. So if the college teams want to have anything resembling a return, they need to go back right away to help blocking. So the punter can take the 3 steps, run around and such as there's less pressure on him. In the pros, that time simply isn't there.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!