Thread: Best Teams of All Time

Best Teams of All Time

Goes back to early 40's. There are three Packer team on the list.

See if you can match them up:

Packer Team's Rank: 1st, 7th, 11th

Packer teams on list: 1996, 1966, 1962

No cheating!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...in-nfl-history
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    I had 66 and 96 reversed...

'96 had the league's #1 ranked offense and defense, to go with an electric special teams (not sure what they ranked).

I did the same.

I think the 96 team would be treated better historically if the '97 team had fared better in the final game of their season.

Side note: the 1950 Browns should be higher rated.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I'll say '66 then '62 then '96 in terms of domination at the time.

I think we had 3 consecutive NFL champs in the early '30s also if they had gone back that far. It's kinda an apples to oranges to water melons comparison if you go back to different eras, even between the early Super Bowl era and now.

After reading the article, I'm convinced that those '62 Packers deserve the top spot - a nice tribute to greatness.
    Last edited by texaspackerbacker; 06-05-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Goes back to early 40's. There are three Packer team on the list.

See if you can match them up:

Packer Team's Rank: 1st, 7th, 11th

Packer teams on list: 1996, 1966, 1962

No cheating!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...in-nfl-history
    '62 - by far the most dominant Packer team I've watched.
    '96 - great team
    '66 - might not even be my third ranked Packer team I've seen

Blog Entries
    Here's the franchise power ranking based on points awarded for each successive spot on the list. (1 for 25th and 25 for 1st)

Packers 59

Patriots 42
    Niners 39
    Steelers 35

Cowboys 28
    Bears 27
    Dolphins 24
    Redskins 20

Browns 11
    Rams 10
    Broncos 8
    Raiders 7
    Giants 5
    Seahawks 4
    Colts 4
    Eagles 2

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    '96 - great team
    Isn't there an argument that one of the few non-championship years in the 60s the Packers were even better than '62?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Even tho that Dolphin team was undefeated I don't know if I'd put them at #2. IMO they'd be around 10 or so.

I'll guess 62, 96, 66.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Isn't there an argument that one of the few non-championship years in the 60s the Packers were even better than '62?
    I don't know about being better than '62, but some have argued that '63 might have been better than any of the '65-'67 championship teams. Couldn't beat the Bears that year.

I don't know about being better than '62, but some have argued that '63 might have been better than any of the '65-'67 championship teams. Couldn't beat the Bears that year.
    Imagine missing the playoffs with a record of 11-2-1. I wonder if that is the best record ever for a team that didn't make the playoffs.

Senior Rat Veteran TravisWilliams23's Avatar
    1. 62 team. Detroit was especially tough that year and gave them the only loss on Thanksgiving and damn near beat them at Green Bay.
    2. 96 team. So much talent on both sides of the ball. A+ on special teams too.
    3. 66 team. Most players were starting to go past their prime but the defense was bad ass.

SRS for 1963 was around 10. For '62 it was close to 20.

The Seahawks team that blew out Denver in SB has gotta be up there.

'96 - great team
    The 1966 team relied more on Bart Starr's passing than perhaps any Lombardi team. Jim Taylor was past his prime. Hornung was a part time player. Donny Anderson was a rookie.

One thing I just noticed was that Starr did not start the last game of the year against the Rams as the Packers had clinched the division. Was Starr hurt, or did Lombardi (Gasp!) rest his starters? I was but a wee lad of 8 at the time and didn't see the game.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The 1966 team relied more on Bart Starr's passing than perhaps any Lombardi team. Jim Taylor was past his prime. Hornung was a part time player. Donny Anderson was a rookie.

One thing I just noticed was that Starr did not start the last game of the year against the Rams as the Packers had clinched the division. Was Starr hurt, or did Lombardi (Gasp!) rest his starters? I was but a wee lad of 8 at the time and didn't see the game.
    Joe, I remember about 10 - 20% of these old games. the rest I look up on this great Packer historical site...http://www.packershistory.net/

Starr had a fantastic year, but reliable back-up Zeke Bratkowski saved our bacon several time during the year.

Vs the Bears at Lambeau, Bart was knocked out of action in the second quarter. Zeke came on to lead us to a come from behind victory.

In the 13th game vs the Colts, once again the Colts blitzed Starr out of action and hurt his back. Zeke came on to grab the victory and clinch the Western Division crown.

Bart was hurting for the final game, so Lombardi started Zeke. Zeke pulled out the win in a crazy game to give the Pack a 12-2 record. The cast was beginning to change in '66. The Ram game marked the last time Hornung and Taylor would line up in the same backfield in a regular season game.

With the time off that Zeke gave Bart, Starr came on in the NFL Championship with all guns blazing to get us to Super Bowl I. Starr played as well vs Dallas as I ever saw him perform.

Senior Rat Veteran TravisWilliams23's Avatar
    Ky, dead on about Starr's play vs Dallas in '66. Here's a link to watch that game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgDpB_mgrCU
    That game should have been a blowout but the defense played horrible except for the last series on the goal line and Chandler had a bad day kicking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisWilliams23 View Post
    Ky, dead on about Starr's play vs Dallas in '66. Here's a link to watch that game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgDpB_mgrCU
    That game should have been a blowout but the defense played horrible except for the last series on the goal line and Chandler had a bad day kicking.

Thx Travis.

Couple things... The Packers first offensive play was a sucker play designed to take advantage of Landry's defensive scheme. Lombardi coached with Landry at the Giants and Vince knew that an influence play with a trap would go for yardage.

When the Pack needed a score, Max McGee came thru with a real tricky little out route for the 6. Man, I loved Max.