Thread: Best Teams of All Time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    '62 - by far the most dominant Packer team I've watched.
    '96 - great team
    '66 - might not even be my third ranked Packer team I've seen
    The 1966 team relied more on Bart Starr's passing than perhaps any Lombardi team. Jim Taylor was past his prime. Hornung was a part time player. Donny Anderson was a rookie.

One thing I just noticed was that Starr did not start the last game of the year against the Rams as the Packers had clinched the division. Was Starr hurt, or did Lombardi (Gasp!) rest his starters? I was but a wee lad of 8 at the time and didn't see the game.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The 1966 team relied more on Bart Starr's passing than perhaps any Lombardi team. Jim Taylor was past his prime. Hornung was a part time player. Donny Anderson was a rookie.

One thing I just noticed was that Starr did not start the last game of the year against the Rams as the Packers had clinched the division. Was Starr hurt, or did Lombardi (Gasp!) rest his starters? I was but a wee lad of 8 at the time and didn't see the game.
    Joe, I remember about 10 - 20% of these old games. the rest I look up on this great Packer historical site...http://www.packershistory.net/

Starr had a fantastic year, but reliable back-up Zeke Bratkowski saved our bacon several time during the year.

Vs the Bears at Lambeau, Bart was knocked out of action in the second quarter. Zeke came on to lead us to a come from behind victory.

In the 13th game vs the Colts, once again the Colts blitzed Starr out of action and hurt his back. Zeke came on to grab the victory and clinch the Western Division crown.

Bart was hurting for the final game, so Lombardi started Zeke. Zeke pulled out the win in a crazy game to give the Pack a 12-2 record. The cast was beginning to change in '66. The Ram game marked the last time Hornung and Taylor would line up in the same backfield in a regular season game.

With the time off that Zeke gave Bart, Starr came on in the NFL Championship with all guns blazing to get us to Super Bowl I. Starr played as well vs Dallas as I ever saw him perform.