Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TD'S and KICKOFF RETURNS

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This clearly will be a big, big training camp for both Janis and Davis. I do think Janis is what he is - no more "he's got so much potential." He's like Bill Schroeder but built better. Janis can make a career as a gunner and maybe as a returner, and just be counted as a wide receiver because the NFL just doesn't list a player's position as "ST."

Davis we know less about. We do know he needs to put on some muscle and he needs to run good routes and catch everything, or he'll be applying for a job at one of Ricky Jean Francois's Dunkin' Donuts.
    Schroeder, for al his faults, was fundamentally a better WR.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Schroeder, for al his faults, was fundamentally a better WR.
    Schroeder did absolutely nothing his first four years after being drafted, just 2 receptions for 15 yards. Even his fifth year was nothing special (31/452). I think it is a bit premature saying he was fundamentally better than either Janis or Davis. Both Janis and Davis have produced more in 3 years and one year, respectively, than Schroeder did in 4 years.

I'm not sure Schroeder was ever anymore reliable than Janis. He was lucky to play with Favre, who wasn't all that disciplined himself, yet still showed his frustrations with Schroeder even when Schroeder was putting up good stats.
    Last edited by Patler; 07-03-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Schroeder did absolutely nothing his first four years after being drafted, just 2 receptions for 15 yards. Even his fifth year was nothing special (31/452). I think it is a bit premature saying he was fundamentally better than either Janis or Davis. Both Janis and Davis have produced more in 3 years and one year, respectively, than Schroeder did in 4 years.

I'm not sure Schroeder was ever anymore reliable than Janis. He was lucky to play with Favre, who wasn't all that disciplined himself, yet still showed his frustrations with Schroeder even when Schroeder was putting up good stats.
    Billy Schroeder was with the packers in 94 (Practice Squad), Patriots in 95, broken foot-perhaps during a lost 1996, then Rhein Fire in 97 before making the '97 Packers active roster. That year he appeared in 15 games on special teams. In 98 he had the "breakout season" to which you refer. An article on him mentions he was active for 2 playoff games after Sharpe's injury. So 5 year career, 4 years on rosters, 17 games and 33 catches.

Janis approaches Year 4, and has appeared in 35 games after 3 full years on a roster. Despite being a better special teams player immediately, he has 17 catches so far. Double the number of active games, half the production so far.

Still, he is young and is/was raw. He might still elevate his game. But he seems to be developing slower than Schroeder.

I am not condemning Davis to a fate worse than Schroeder, he is still within the normal 3 year WR window.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Simple fact was Schroeder couldn't even make a roster for years. He was as big of a disaster in knowing where to be and what to do as Janis ever has been, maybe even more. Not only that, he was "shy" regarding contact, something Janis never has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Simple fact was Schroeder couldn't even make a roster for years. He was as big of a disaster in knowing where to be and what to do as Janis ever has been, maybe even more. Not only that, he was "shy" regarding contact, something Janis never has been.
    Janis is just dumbfounded by contact unless its a jump ball. I would take him first in any pickup football game in the world after Rodgers. But he doesn't have an NFL receiver skill set.

I do think he has a role he could play as a designated Go route guy and hope for a penalty. I could also imagine him on the goal line for jump balls or timing routes. but if he has to fight for position off the line, he looks lost.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Janis is just dumbfounded by contact unless its a jump ball. I would take him first in any pickup football game in the world after Rodgers. But he doesn't have an NFL receiver skill set.

I do think he has a role he could play as a designated Go route guy and hope for a penalty. I could also imagine him on the goal line for jump balls or timing routes. but if he has to fight for position off the line, he looks lost.
    Schroeder really never did either. If memory serves, he mostly ran away from contact for much of his career, no matter what the QB expected of him, and was responsible for his fair share of Favre's miscues because of it. They let Schroeder run a lot of go routes because of that.