Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaepernick unemployment

Kaepernick unemployment

PFT's been beating the drum that Kaepernick is being mistreated, and I have to agree with a lot of what I read there. I tend to think the way he is being treated has nothing at all to do with what happens on the field. How does this guy not even get a camp invitation?

Wasn't that long ago that he faced Rodgers on the field and, well, did pretty damn well! I sure wouldn't mind it if the Pack brought him in.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

My guess is teams don't want the distraction that goes with having Kaepernick in your locker room, especially this time of year. I also think owners are sending a message to all the players in the league to not do what Kaepernick did. Right now teams would rather develop the QB's they have rather than bring in Kaepernick. That could change if some teams lose QB's to injury.

I think it's partly the hassle he generates and partly his play on the field. If Tom Brady started kneeling during the anthem and was then a free agent, you bet your ass someone would sign him the first second they could.

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Our young, hirsute athlete, who is ostensibly a QB, is the perfect union of the worst qualities of Tim Tebow and Michael Sam: he simultaneously lacks even basic NFL competency while having the highest levels of political and social toxicity. He's like the Iron Sheik of All Star Wrestling fame, but without any of the charisma, humor, or irony. It's all deadly serious for Mr. Kaepernick and his fellow travelers, and the NFL (coaches, players, front offices, executives, ball inflaters), despite going through contortions to align itself with the popular culture, doesn't want anything to do with this emesis-inducing poison.

See, I didn't think he played that badly last year (what little I saw). Simply having 4:1 or so TD to INT ratio on a team that was foiled by the Browns in their quest for the first overall pick tell you there is something there.
    --

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    See, I didn't think he played that badly last year (what little I saw).

You didn't see enough. I did, and often I had to look away. As Mr. Kurtz might say: The horror, the horror!

Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    You didn't see enough. I did, and often I had to look away. As Mr. Kurtz might say: The horror, the horror!
    If these sort of things cause you pain and heart palpitations, I suggest you avoid watching the Jets and likely the Jaguars this coming year. I'd hazard a guess the NFC is mostly safe however.
    --

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    If these sort of things cause you pain and heart palpitations, I suggest you avoid watching the Jets and likely the Jaguars this coming year. I'd hazard a guess the NFC is mostly safe however.
    Jets and Jaguars only induce a slightly dyspeptic reaction. The Browns are like a rotavirus.

his average ability is out-weighed by questions about his desire, focus, and the chaos and noise that follows him. someone will come calling when they're totally desperate for a qb.

He is not a terrible QB. His numbers inside and outside the pocket last year were better than some starting QBs and better than almost all backup candidates.

And he was functioning in his first year of Chip Kelly's non-NFL offense with junk around him. He was Captain Checkdown last year though and that did help with the 16/4 TD to INT ratio.

Essentially, CK is proof that winning is not the only thing, as teams would rather be worse at backup (or starter) than sign him.

Its also coaches who would rather groom Graham Harrell to run their offense from the pocket that do something with better results. If you are going to get fired, get fired running your offense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

His numbers suggest he could be a useful backup, but his style is such that the offense would have to be tailored to him, and teams don't usually have the time to create two separate offenses. Because of his style of play and inconsistent results, he also doesn't fit the 'vet who could mentor a rookie' mold. If Seattle needed a backup, he would be a decent fit, and kneeling during the anthem is not likely to cause a big stir in Seattle, as it might in say Dallas (which is otherwise unconcerned with distractions).
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Eh. I don't care that he's out of the league. In the Bay Area I had to deal with so many people telling me Crappernick was so much better than Rodgers because of 579!!! somethingorother. I always told them to come back to me in three years when the 9ers would be irrelevant. Now that I can crow, they don't care because they're all basketball fans now.

He runs too hot and cold for an NFL team to make him a starter. Then he has other issues too, so yeah. Don't see him doing much more.

EDIT: This might be the most juvenile post I've ever made here. I guess living in the Bay Area, I had my fill of his Godhood and Ascendancy.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

It's Colonel Kurtz, respectfully.

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    It's Colonel Kurtz, respectfully.
    He didn't go to evil military academy for six years to be called 'mister'

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    His numbers suggest he could be a useful backup, but his style is such that the offense would have to be tailored to him, and teams don't usually have the time to create two separate offenses. Because of his style of play and inconsistent results, he also doesn't fit the 'vet who could mentor a rookie' mold. If Seattle needed a backup, he would be a decent fit, and kneeling during the anthem is not likely to cause a big stir in Seattle, as it might in say Dallas (which is otherwise unconcerned with distractions).
    Good summation, I believe it's pretty much the case once the histrionics are removed.

He didn't go to evil military academy for six years to be called 'mister'
    Zactly. And considering he entered Rangers school at 40, cat was a bad ass. A touch touched, but still effective at what he did.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    How is this possible? Tank said that Kaepernick was a stud... I mean he couldn't have been wrong, could he?
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    How is this possible? Tank said that Kaepernick was a stud... I mean he couldn't have been wrong, could he?
    Yep.

The guy had me scratching my head for a bit. The guy had (has) a live arm. But it was all off that read option shit. When a big part of the offense is based on the QB running, all NFL D's will beat the dog shit out of the passer. Kap (in Tank speak) is a big thing in the open field. But you contain him in the pocket, he is mediocre. Kaepernick , RGIII, Tebow, & the other guys that lived off read option all died a pretty quick death.

Russel Wilson started out in similar vein, but soon learned he had to be an effective pocket passer to survive in the NFL. Russ did it and is still an good player. The others are all looking for a home.

We need to consider the other contenders. Someone drafted Christian Hackenberg in the second round and today he was intercepted twice and had five other passs dropped by the defense in a 7 on 7 drill.

He also hit reporters on the sideline twice. And he is qualified to be a backup.

The only thing he is good at standing in the pocket and being tall.

Kaepernick is a market inefficiency. I am stunned he isn't in New England, who employed Doug Flutie.
    Last edited by pbmax; 06-08-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Josh McCown—who was somehow WORSE statistically for Cleveland last year than Austin Davis was the year prior—is currently entrenched as the Jets’ starting quarterback.
    And Austin Davis is backing up in Seattle, despite being objectively terrible.

And this from Bill Bardwell, addressing Andy Benoit and those who claim its the pocket passing that they cannot do without.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.