Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why McGinn Retired: His Memory Is Gone

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    That was my first game at Lambeau with my wife. It was really cold, like high of 15 in,late Nov/early Dec. Pats won 35-0.

No one in our section at the end of the game, I made my wife,stay until the end because it was my 1st game.
    I was there. However, the awfulness of the game may have made it seem colder to you than it really was. It was 41, but kinda windy.

Not so fun fact: Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers were a combined 9-27, 105 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's, 5 sacks. Passer rating 46.1.

McGinn clearly has some kind of nostalgia for the old days that makes him blind to the present. Will miss his draft coverage and game ratings but not his opinion pieces at all.
    Go PACK

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I was there. However, the awfulness of the game may have made it seem colder to you than it really was. It was 41, but kinda windy.

Not so fun fact: Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers were a combined 9-27, 105 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's, 5 sacks. Passer rating 46.1.
    Wasn't this one of the first games to build evidence against the Patriots leading to Spygate?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bad fact #2

By 3rd year, he was better than awful but still struggling.

His numbers in regular season in 2007: 20 or 28, 71%, 1 TD, 0 int, adjusted yards per attempt 8.5 (which is very good) and 3 sacks.

He outplayed Favre versus Dallas. There were a number of occasions that Brett was on his own agenda and looked afraid and unwilling. He did not rediscover the iron man until after Ted shipped him off.

Correct fact #2, if you allow for negative lessons, Rodgers learns from Favre not to have an independent agenda and allow Michael Flipping Strahan to sack him and make poor Bubba Franks look bad. What a weasel move.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Bad fact #2

By 3rd year, he was better than awful but still struggling.

His numbers in regular season in 2007: 20 or 28, 71%, 1 TD, 0 int, adjusted yards per attempt 8.5 (which is very good) and 3 sacks.

He outplayed Favre versus Dallas. There were a number of occasions that Brett was on his own agenda and looked afraid and unwilling. He did not rediscover the iron man until after Ted shipped him off.

Correct fact #2, if you allow for negative lessons, Rodgers learns from Favre not to have an independent agenda and allow Michael Flipping Strahan to sack him and make poor Bubba Franks look bad. What a weasel move.
    I think Bob was off by a year. The way I remember it:

2005: Bad
    2006: Better but not really good.
    2007: Looked ready to start.

I think Bob was off by a year. The way I remember it:

2005: Bad
    2006: Better but not really good.
    2007: Looked ready to start.
    I remember 2006 as being very encouraging, but that might be for improvement alone. He wasn't Mr. August Hasselback until 2007.

His mechanics were fine in 2007. Took McCarthy basically one season to iron it out. And I am not convinced the high carry was that big a deal.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    McGinn was an amazing writer and a NFL draft stud. I'll miss him a ton

Things are about ready to get way more boring at the JS
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    McGinn was an amazing writer and a NFL draft stud. I'll miss him a ton

Things are about ready to get way more boring at the JS
    I agree. Can't tell the other guys apart. I sometimes disagreed with McGinn, but he spurred more debate here than all the other beat writers put together.

Blog Entries
    I agree. Can't tell the other guys apart. I sometimes disagreed with McGinn, but he spurred more debate here than all the other beat writers put together.

Most writers and boring matter of factoid dude's with no personality in their writing.

I have no clue whose interesting articles I will post for others to nitpick to death anymore
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Bad fact #3

he was a little bit better the third year, but not to any degree, and then he just really developed.
    In the Winter ahead of Rodgers' 4th year, the Packers put Favre on a timetable for a decision. A timetable he had not, since yearly Hamletizing became a thing in 2000, adhered to previously. This was before OTAs or camp and before FA and the draft. They had time to restock if they needed to.

When they got back word he was retiring, they made exactly zero moves away from Rodgers from the late spring to camp. If McGinn thinks that scouts or Packer coaches couldn't see that Rodgers was going to be the future, he really does believe in miracles and unicorns.

Shorter version: at the end of Rodgers year 3, the Packers thought he was the future and were mad enough about cold Brett to send him packing. The entire holdout/unretire deal doesn't happen if the head coach doesn't think Rodgers is the better choice.

I just finished Gunslinger, and it brought back all those bad memories of Brent retiring and then hemming and hawing and unretiring. Bad times, and the book did not give any insight that made Favre look any better or give at least some deeper understanding.

His brother made a good point: Brent needed to suck in order to convince himself it was time to retire; that's why that last awful year with Minny was so important. Favre was apparently emotionally incapable of going out on top.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack