Thread: Safety position going forward.....

Safety position going forward.....

It sounds like Brice put on a few lbs in the off season. He's a super explosive and fast player with some instincts and now it sounds like size too. To me, he's a better fit next to Clinton-dix than Burnett. If Brice shows up to play this year, I could see the Packers resigning Clinton-dix and going their separate ways with Burnett.

Then we have Jones and Evans and whoever else comes to the surface..... We have some options...

I want to believe in Brice. I just keep wondering why a 220 lb safety who ran a 4.4 40 went undrafted. We'll see if he can step up this year. A lot of UDFA's impress as rookies but then plateau. Hope he's an exception.

I'm on the Brice bandwagon. He didn't just flash last year. He looked like he belonged and showed more than most midround picks.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I want to believe in Brice. I just keep wondering why a 220 lb safety who ran a 4.4 40 went undrafted. We'll see if he can step up this year. A lot of UDFA's impress as rookies but then plateau. Hope he's an exception.
    He was only 200lbs so undersized. But he's put on weight now. Ran a 4.44. Very fast. He's an exciting player. Clinton-dix isn't a burner. Would be more ideal to have a rangy player like Brice next to him. I'm very interested to see both Brice and herb waters who is said to be an excellent cover guy. Guess he's really come on according to joe Whitt.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the defense this year! I could see a really quick turn around with this group.

Whoops. My mistake on Brice's weight. Burnett is an UFA after 2017, so Brice could possibly have a future as a starter if he excels this year.

Whoops. My mistake on Brice's weight. Burnett is an UFA after 2017, so Brice could possibly have a future as a starter if he excels this year.
    Burnett has been playing more and more lb..... could see Brice on the field quite a bit if they think he's better than Jake or Blake.... just a way to get the best 11 out there.

He is only 5'11" and weighed 200 coming out (is he 220 now for sure?). He also didn't go to the combine and had to rely on a pro day to impress.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    He is only 5'11" and weighed 200 coming out (is he 220 now for sure?). He also didn't go to the combine and had to rely on a pro day to impress.

No. He's 200. My bad. Maybe I was thinking of Sean Richardson.

Did Richardson retire? He had a second neck injury in 2015 and missed all of 2016. I heard he was cleared in January. Shame about his injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Did Richardson retire? He had a second neck injury in 2015 and missed all of 2016. I heard he was cleared in January. Shame about his injuries.
    I don't think he's retired. But I don't know if any team will be willing to put him on the field.

Given the desperate nature of the NFL - the need to win, win, win - I'm a little surprised that some of these guys like Richardson never get signed. I'm guessing the Commish has put his foot down on such attempts.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Richardson had a glass neck. You don't want to sign a guy to put him in a wheelchair for life.
    Brice is a good depth player. He showed really well last year in camp -- ol' McGinn (or was it scouts he interviewed?) thought he looked like a R1 pick. In year 2 for him things should slow down for him and I think he'll be a key player in the depth. He's certainly protection against losing Burnett/HaHa to injury or FA. I think they'll resign HaHa though -- he's becoming a leader back there and was certainly the better pick vs. Calvin Pryor.

Burnett is also a good player and worth keeping -- the question is whether he can stay healthy and if he has enough left in the tank he's worth signing. Add Josh Jones to the mix as a moneybacker who could probably play safety, and they have backup options.

Overall I think they're in much better shape than when they were trotting M.D. Jennings out there.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Richardson had a glass neck. You don't want to sign a guy to put him in a wheelchair for life.
    Or worse. Given the location of the fusion, another hit could be fatal. Absolutely no GM will touch a guy with a significantly elevated chance of dying on the field.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!