View Poll Results: Who should the next Packers GM be?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Dorsey: Experienced, history of winning as GM, a haircut you could set your clock to.

9 42.86%
  • Brian Gutekunst: Cypher, very promotable. Makes a mean macchiato with McCarthy's expresso machine

0 0%
  • Bill Parcells: If still alive, then this poll is dumb. Hire Bill. Proven rebuilder

2 9.52%
  • Eliot Wolf: Princeling, creative speller, if bloodlines are your thing, great resume paper

7 33.33%
  • Other, Post it below

3 14.29%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Next Packers GM Poll

Next Packers GM Poll

Who should it be? Ted can't draft forever. He's going to make his way to the never-ending lands of the Senior Bowl sooner than later. Permanently though, he is going to be buried under the pecan pie stand.

We supply four candidates or you can name your own.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    TOO EASY
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

yea, parcells. No brainer.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    yea, parcells. No brainer.
    lol. Belichick is responsible for most of Parcell's success. Plus the cost for the manziers alone is prohibitive.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I thought Russ Ball was a serious candidate......

"Former colleagues from the Kansas City Chiefs and New Orleans Saints see Russ Ball – the Green Bay Packers vice president of football operations and player finance and the secret weapon of Ted Thompson’s front office staff– as a future general manager in the NFL."

"Ball, 57, has been with the Packers since 2008. Before being hired by Thompson in Green Bay, Ball served 10 years with the Chiefs and six more with the Saints – with a few short stops with the Washington Redskins and Minnesota Vikings in between."

http://www.jsonline.com/videos/sport...ger/102321144/
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 06-23-2017 at 07:11 AM.

John Schneider?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I thought Russ Ball was a serious candidate......

"Former colleagues from the Kansas City Chiefs and New Orleans Saints see Russ Ball – the Green Bay Packers vice president of football operations and player finance and the secret weapon of Ted Thompson’s front office staff– as a future general manager in the NFL."

"Ball, 57, has been with the Packers since 2008. Before being hired by Thompson in Green Bay, Ball served 10 years with the Chiefs and six more with the Saints – with a few short stops with the Washington Redskins and Minnesota Vikings in between."

http://www.jsonline.com/videos/sport...ger/102321144/
    In my rush to take a shot at Eliot Wolf, some may have inadvertently been left out.

Feel free to vote Other.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    In my rush to take a shot at Eliot Wolf, some may have inadvertently been left out.

Feel free to vote Other.
    I read somewhere but can't find it now that Russ Ball is the top candidate.
    However, last January PFT wrote this article which put Dorsey as the leading candidate, and now that Dorsey has been canned by the Chiefs you'd have to think the odds have changed:

"There are a number of factors at play here. Thompson’s contract runs through the 2018 NFL draft, though there has been some speculation he could walk away if the Packers win the Super Bowl.

Dorsey, who came up through the ranks with the Packers, also has a contract through the 2018 draft. And the work he’s done with the Chiefs has certainly been good enough to merit an extension, if he wanted it. But if Thompson were to leave after this season, the Chiefs could prevent Dorsey from returning to Green Bay, where he played five seasons and worked in personnel from 1991 to 2012, with one year in Seattle stuck in between."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-packers-g-m/

McGinn wrote about Ball earlier this year. It sure seemed like a plant, with quotes from his former coworkers with the Schottenheimer Chiefs, but McGinn did enough original work it was hard to tell what the exact impetus was.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...rial/89425882/

Dorsey got canned? Where'd you read that, Vincenzo?

I vote Russ Ball because he has no scouting experience.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    lol. Belichick is responsible for most of Parcell's success. Plus the cost for the manziers alone is prohibitive.
    Don't think so. Belichick has failed franchises, parcells has not. Although he got just a bit less focused and successful each step so I am more being sarcastic. Man is far too old and non committed at this point.

I would say hang in there a few more years ted and Schneider might become available.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Don't think so. Belichick has failed franchises, parcells has not. Although he got just a bit less focused and successful each step so I am more being sarcastic. Man is far too old and non committed at this point.

I would say hang in there a few more years ted and Schneider might become available.
    Belichick has only failed in Cleveland. That shouldn't count.

Dorsey has drafted well in KC, but they have had a lot of salary cap issues under Dorsey. Pairing Dorsey with Russ Ball could be a good combination if they can convince ball to accept less than a GM job.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Belichick has only failed in Cleveland. That shouldn't count.
    Ok, you get one strike an outlier and I get one. New England doesn't count either.

[QUOTE=Fritz;929887]Dorsey got canned? Where'd you read that, Vincenzo?

Check it out, man:
    http://http://profootballtalk.nbcspo...m-john-dorsey/

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    McGinn wrote about Ball earlier this year. It sure seemed like a plant, with quotes from his former coworkers with the Schottenheimer Chiefs, but McGinn did enough original work it was hard to tell what the exact impetus was.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...rial/89425882/
    It's interesting cuz at one point I really thought Ball was gonna be our man. I'm not so sure about E. Wolf, he still seems young for such a job, especially in a place like Green Bay.

My guess is that Ted would like to retire after another year or two and move into a scouting job. I think that's his secret fantasy - to do nothing but scout college guys 24/7/365. Give him the title "Executive College Scout/Wide Receivers" and send him all over the country.

In the meantime, will it be Ball or Eliot? My guess is Ball. Wolf-the-Wunderkind would play well in some markets; less so in small-town Green Bay.

Can you "trade" a guy like Eliot Wolf for a draft pick?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by wootah View Post
    John Schneider?
    I doubt he's a viable candidate. He recently signed an extension and I don't think there is an out clause for the GB job.

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    My guess is that Ted would like to retire after another year or two and move into a scouting job. I think that's his secret fantasy - to do nothing but scout college guys 24/7/365. Give him the title "Executive College Scout/Wide Receivers" and send him all over the country.

In the meantime, will it be Ball or Eliot? My guess is Ball. Wolf-the-Wunderkind would play well in some markets; less so in small-town Green Bay.

Can you "trade" a guy like Eliot Wolf for a draft pick?
    Why do you and Vincenzo think Wolf wouldn't be a good choice for a town like GB? Just curious...