Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
I'm usually pretty hasty; you're just going to have to live with it.

There's a depth to corporeal punishment that shouldn't be missed. Drive by comments like Zool's look foolish. There are spankings that little kids get (smacks on their behind) that serve as a negative reinforcement when they do something dangerous like walk into the street. These are highly effective. There's actual punishment, like 5 hard shots with a belt for doing something pretty bad (this is the form things took in our house growing up). There's no doubt it was a strong reminder about consequences for bad behavior; I can report that it prevented bad behavior on my part. There are all sorts of bad hitting - the uncontrolled outbursts are all bad, even if they don't do damage , because having a parent out of control is really what sends a strong negative message. (based on history, I suspect this is true in the Green case).

On another note, there was a time when my brother and I were getting a little older (10-12 maybe), my Mom tried to spank us and she was so ineffective that my brother and I just laughed at her. It was all fun and games until Dad got home. Sort of a double backfire.
So my opinion is different than yours so it's foolish. Then Hoosier sites the same studies i've read to form my opinion and it's now feasible? You must be a blast in conversation.

I still stand by my original statement. If you need to hit, you've lost and you've taught your child that hitting gets your desired effect.