Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ahman Ah-rested

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Yeah, god forbid anyone discipline their bratty, entitled, lazy children. If they did, there would be no future for the Democratic party.
    If you teach a child to do what you say with the thread of violence, that child learns that the threat of violence gets you what you want. It's actually pretty simple and completely fucking stupid. If you hit your kid, you just lost.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    If you teach a child to do what you say with the thread of violence, that child learns that the threat of violence gets you what you want. It's actually pretty simple and completely fucking stupid. If you hit your kid, you just lost.
    good lord
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Not all hitting is violence. My dad used to sometimes hit us for misbehaving. We never sensed danger though because we knew he wasn't doing it out of rage. He was in control. he was sending a message that we needed to straighten up. Ahman Green is a different story. He has, at least sporadically, problems controlling his anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Not all hitting is violence. My dad used to sometimes hit us for misbehaving. We never sensed danger though because we knew he wasn't doing it out of rage. He was in control. he was sending a message that we needed to straighten up. Ahman Green is a different story. He has, at least sporadically, problems controlling his anger.
    Sorry but it is still violence. Maybe of a different sort, but it is still violence. I don't doubt that there were and may still be family environments in which kids get spanked and grow up to be highly functional adults. But parenting culture is changing, and it's no longer generally accepted that hitting a child will produce desirable changes. Recent studies have shown a positive correlation between corporal punishment in the home and increased negative behavior as well as lowering of self-esteem. There are plenty of non-violent ways of teaching kids right from wrong and instilling responsibility.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Now that's a Green Bay Smacker!!!

Man where Nutz or skinbasket? Bunch of pussies here like PBMax and zool. So what if he had to put her little ass down. You mofos know how teenagers can be. He didn't break anything and bruising ain't shit.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Recent studies have shown a positive correlation between corporal punishment in the home and increased negative behavior as well as lowering of self-esteem.
    50% of social science studies is shit. Not to mention that a lot of even the reasonably conducted stuff is politically outcome-driven (lysenkoism). And the last thing our society needs is more self esteem.

I would like to see which studies you think are worthy of consideration. I'd consider them.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Here is an example of a metastudy of spanking. Its conclusions are not entirely black-and-white and it finds that a large number of the studies done were flawed--not because they were politically motivated, as you assume, but probably because they were simply poorly conceived--but it still finds persuasive evidence of correlation between spanking and negative behavior.

Don't be too hasty in dismissing self esteem or in assuming that you know what someone else understands when they speak of it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bout-spanking/

Probably there are plenty of homes where spanking is done, and the kids turn out fine. But maybe that is because the parents are caring and attentive, and that overrides the pointless destruction of hitting the kids. We'll never know from studies.

Anecdotally, I was spanked as a kid and turned out splendidly. But is that because of my core strengths, my steely resolve to do good in the world? We can never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Anecdotally, I was spanked as a kid....
    That explains a lot.

Anecdotally, I was spanked as a kid
    I was spanked for real, not anecdotally.

Haters gotta hate.
    I'm gonna shake it off, shake it off.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Here is an example of a metastudy of spanking. Its conclusions are not entirely black-and-white and it finds that a large number of the studies done were flawed--not because they were politically motivated, as you assume, but probably because they were simply poorly conceived--but it still finds persuasive evidence of correlation between spanking and negative behavior.

Don't be too hasty in dismissing self esteem or in assuming that you know what someone else understands when they speak of it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...bout-spanking/
    I'm usually pretty hasty; you're just going to have to live with it.

There's a depth to corporeal punishment that shouldn't be missed. Drive by comments like Zool's look foolish. There are spankings that little kids get (smacks on their behind) that serve as a negative reinforcement when they do something dangerous like walk into the street. These are highly effective. There's actual punishment, like 5 hard shots with a belt for doing something pretty bad (this is the form things took in our house growing up). There's no doubt it was a strong reminder about consequences for bad behavior; I can report that it prevented bad behavior on my part. There are all sorts of bad hitting - the uncontrolled outbursts are all bad, even if they don't do damage , because having a parent out of control is really what sends a strong negative message. (based on history, I suspect this is true in the Green case).

On another note, there was a time when my brother and I were getting a little older (10-12 maybe), my Mom tried to spank us and she was so ineffective that my brother and I just laughed at her. It was all fun and games until Dad got home. Sort of a double backfire.

Haters gotta hate.
    I'm gonna shake it off, shake it off.
    I prefer to:
    shake it up

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Probably there are plenty of homes where spanking is done, and the kids turn out fine. But maybe that is because the parents are caring and attentive, and that overrides the pointless destruction of hitting the kids. We'll never know from studies.

Anecdotally, I was spanked as a kid and turned out splendidly. But is that because of my core strengths, my steely resolve to do good in the world? We can never know.
    Based on this new evidence you provided I am strongly reconsidering changing my opinion from spanking to straight up drown them at birth.

Be honest HH, you have always been the runt in your family.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I'm usually pretty hasty; you're just going to have to live with it.

There's a depth to corporeal punishment that shouldn't be missed. Drive by comments like Zool's look foolish. There are spankings that little kids get (smacks on their behind) that serve as a negative reinforcement when they do something dangerous like walk into the street. These are highly effective. There's actual punishment, like 5 hard shots with a belt for doing something pretty bad (this is the form things took in our house growing up). There's no doubt it was a strong reminder about consequences for bad behavior; I can report that it prevented bad behavior on my part. There are all sorts of bad hitting - the uncontrolled outbursts are all bad, even if they don't do damage , because having a parent out of control is really what sends a strong negative message. (based on history, I suspect this is true in the Green case).

On another note, there was a time when my brother and I were getting a little older (10-12 maybe), my Mom tried to spank us and she was so ineffective that my brother and I just laughed at her. It was all fun and games until Dad got home. Sort of a double backfire.
    So my opinion is different than yours so it's foolish. Then Hoosier sites the same studies i've read to form my opinion and it's now feasible? You must be a blast in conversation.

I still stand by my original statement. If you need to hit, you've lost and you've taught your child that hitting gets your desired effect.

So my opinion is different than yours so it's foolish. Then Hoosier sites the same studies i've read and it's now feasible? You must be a blast in conversation.
    I think you can do better than a lot of your shallow drive-by posts, that's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I think you can do better than a lot of your shallow drive-by posts, that's all I'm saying.
    My time to post is limited. I try to interject opinion when I can.

My time to post is limited. I try to interject opinion when I can.
    you need to re-examine your priorities.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    There is a cultural component to this. About 100% of my wife's students experience the level of corporal punishment our great grandfathers probably experienced. When its Adrian Peterson or Ahman Green I have a hard time clutching my pearls. The truth is not beating your kids (which I think is excellent practice for the record) is like a generation old and not everybody watches enough Dateline to get the memo. Even Tanahasi Coates writes about how his dad was noble enough to beat him "so the cops wouldn't" or some such. We see a mother in Baltimore pull her kid out of a riot while hitting him in the face and she's somehow #motheroftheyear. Seems to me there are two sets of rules here and one set of laws.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    There is a cultural component to this. About 100% of my wife's students experience the level of corporal punishment our great grandfathers probably experienced. When its Adrian Peterson or Ahman Green I have a hard time clutching my pearls. The truth is not beating your kids (which I think is excellent practice for the record) is like a generation old and not everybody watches enough Dateline to get the memo. Even Tanahasi Coates writes about how his dad was noble enough to beat him "so the cops wouldn't" or some such. We see a mother in Baltimore pull her kid out of a riot while hitting him in the face and she's somehow #motheroftheyear. Seems to me there are two sets of rules here and one set of laws.
    Beating your children to avoid other, possibly worse beatings, might seem to be necessary, but its not desirable.

Same goes for spanking. If you can get the behavior change without the violence (I disagree with Joe that hitting is not violence, its message is pain, fear and/or humiliation no matter the velocity or frequency) it would be best to avoid it.
    Last edited by pbmax; 06-28-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.