Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ahman Ah-rested

I understand your point, but I don't think the lesson can ever be completely clear when physical harm or the threat of harm is involved. Let's assume you're right, and the child learns that when she doesn't listen to Dad then bad things happen. How does that lesson translate into the rest of her life? Does she internalize responsibility for taking care of where she lives? Does she learn to obey the voice of authority simply because it is the authority? Does she simply internalize that she should do what Dad says because he says? I spent some time in a school system in another country where corporal punishment was quite common and often very brutal. I would say that overall the children there were slightly better behaved than their American peers (only slightly) and that they were considerably less adept at thinking for themselves. Their idea of learning was listening to what the teacher told them and memorizing it. That idea stays with many of them throughout their entire education. The change in parenting and discipline culture is new, I agree, and it's easy to assume that if things were done a certain way for a very long time then the results must not be all that bad. Maybe for the average kid they are not, because most kids have supportive, loving families or are simply a lot more resilient than we often give them credit for being.

The kind of negative reaction you impart is very important.

To expect physical assault is simply to fear the abuse again. Its a pretty bad feedback loop to reinforce.

There are a lot of negative outcomes that do not involve a violent act. Refusing to do the dishes or mouthing off can limit your access to that allowance, the car, time away from the home, internet, phone, other favors, trips to see family, etc.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The number of responses to this thread has reminded me of one thing:

There is way too much time between minicamp and training camp.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    How is saying "don't beat your kid, there are other ways" a flawed argument??
    That's not what you wrote, Hotspur. Read what you wrote again, and think about how you will keep your kid from running into traffic or taking things from other kids.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

A: Spring Football League. Now.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How is saying "don't beat your kid, there are other ways" a flawed argument??
    Ultimate test, did you get beat as a child?

Blog Entries
    Must have clicked on the wrong shit. Threads wasn't suppose to be locked. Thanks for pointing it out 31.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

Boy, ain't that the truth!

The world is becoming pussified. Perhaps Green crossed a line. But the line is getting pushed back to not being able to discipline your kids at all. All that does is create entitled assholes aka liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Ultimate test, did you get beat as a child?
    Because if it made sense 30 years ago, it must make sense now!
    Busting drunk drivers in Antarctica since 2006

Of course I wasn't beaten as a child. My parents were educated. Beating someone up loses you respect in the end. When your kids don't respect you, what influence do you have over them?

Blog Entries
    Of course I wasn't beaten as a child. My parents were educated. Beating someone up loses you respect in the end. When your kids don't respect you, what influence do you have over them?
    You are such a sorry piece of shit. So any parent who did is uneducated?

If you are the result of not getting spanked ever then the results more than speak for themselves.

i got spanked with a paddle at home a few times and at school too in later years. never did me any harm physically or mentally. didn't hurt my relationship with my parents. i've no problem with corporal punishment. as for ahman...not sure how accurate the stories coming out are but later in the process it will become more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by theeaterofshades View Post
    Ahman Ah-rested
    clever.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    But the line is getting pushed back to not being able to discipline your kids at all. All that does is create entitled assholes aka liberals.
    When did anyone here say you shouldn't be able to discipline your child? If your only method of disciplining your child is to hit them you are a piece of shit as a parent.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    When did anyone here say you shouldn't be able to discipline your child? If your only method of disciplining your child is to hit them you are a piece of shit as a parent.
    People bitch now if you talk sternly to your children. People whine if you ground them. If by hitting them, you mean give them a swat on the ass when they have it coming. Yes I hit them. I also have absolutely no problem putting a boot up either of my teenagers ass if they do something stupid.

People bitch now if you talk sternly to your children. People whine if you ground them. If by hitting them, you mean give them a swat on the ass when they have it coming. Yes I hit them. I also have absolutely no problem putting a boot up either of my teenagers ass if they do something stupid.
    I have never met anyone who disagreed with grounding children for infractions.

Come to think of it, I have known anyone well and found they did not talk sternly to their children at times.

I do object to the boot though.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    First sentence is a complete lie. Second sentence is a complete lie. Sentences 3-5, you obviously didn't read what I wrote and felt you needed to defend your position.

We have spanked our child. My sentence was if your only method of disciplining your child is to hit them you are a piece of shit as a parent.

But in all of the times we have disciplined our son we have only once spanked him. There are so many more appropriate ways that have a bigger impact in their life than a slap on the butt.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

People bitch now if you talk sternly to your children. People whine if you ground them.
    Who are these people? </Seinfeld>
    Busting drunk drivers in Antarctica since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I do object to the boot though.
    Sometimes immobilizing their car is the only option.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    You beat me to the punch.