Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Packers receiving corps

Packers receiving corps

Good article at packers.com about the decisions that will need to be made about the receiving corps this fall

http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...4-ebcd811e038b

APRH there is quite a logjam at the top of the depth chart. The season Adams had last year was top flight, so it seems reasonable to expect him, Nelson and Cobb to have their spots all but guaranteed. Under TT's watch the Packers rarely cut rookie draft picks, and they have two at WR (Yancey and Dupre). Add last year's draft pick, Trevor Davis, and Geronimo Allison who played well, and I have no idea what they are going to do. Could one of Nelson or Cobb get unexpectedly cut, a la Sitton?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    One of those rookies is gonna be practice squad. If I have these guys straight, Dupre has more upside, but Yancey has more experience. Why not 6 WRs? Monty is a RB, and they have three TEs, but could keep two if Rodgers is stagnant. If I read my cap site correctly (and I usually hate looking this stuff up, so I could be wrong) Cobb is a huge cap hit this year (12.7) but would be 6.5 dead Cap if they cut him. I think he is safe this year, but is done after this year, unless he negotiates a very Packer-friendly deal.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    One of those rookies is gonna be practice squad. If I have these guys straight, Dupre has more upside, but Yancey has more experience. Why not 6 WRs? Monty is a RB, and they have three TEs, but could keep two if Rodgers is stagnant. If I read my cap site correctly (and I usually hate looking this stuff up, so I could be wrong) Cobb is a huge cap hit this year (12.7) but would be 6.5 dead Cap if they cut him. I think he is safe this year, but is done after this year, unless he negotiates a very Packer-friendly deal.
    You guys are going to get Tex upset not mentioning Janis. I agree about Cobb. I think injuries have cost him some speed, and he wasn't that fast to begin with. He is a woefully overpaid slot receiver. Still, he's probably a lock for this year.

Locks: Nelson, Adams, Cobb

Good bet: Davis (Need his speed)

On the bubble: Allison, Dupree, Yancey (2 out of 3 make it.)

Longshots: MCCaffrey, etc.

This bio of Dupre is interesting. http://draftanalyst.com/malachi-dupre Some have suggested he was hampered by poor QB play at LSU in 2016. He won't have that problem in Green Bay. He's Fuckdoggle material for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    You guys are going to get Tex upset not mentioning Janis.
    Janis probably will be on the squad. He is as good a gunner as bush was and that kept him on the roster long enough to give us all headaches.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Janis probably will be on the squad. He is as good a gunner as bush was and that kept him on the roster long enough to give us all headaches.
    Unless one of the rookies show they can do it. Both Dupre and Yancey have the size/speed combo to be a gunner.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    This bio of Dupre is interesting. http://draftanalyst.com/malachi-dupre Some have suggested he was hampered by poor QB play at LSU in 2016. He won't have that problem in Green Bay. He's Fuckdoggle material for sure.
    I really like Dupre. He could be the sleeper WR that makes,the,roster. He will for sure make the practice squad.

It would be interesting if TT traded Cobb for a LB or CB.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I really like Dupre. He could be the sleeper WR that makes,the,roster. He will for sure make the practice squad.

It would be interesting if TT traded Cobb for a LB or CB.
    Cobb's contract probably makes him untradeable. He could be cut after this year though if one of the young guys shows they can be a #3.

Cobb's contract probably makes him untradeable. He could be cut after this year though if one of the young guys shows they can be a #3.
    Upside is that Cobb gets better with two better guys outside of him. He's not coming off the field unless M3 deploys 2 TE or 3 TEs, but if the outside guys are causing trouble, he will thrive with room to maneuver. Bennett helps him here too.

One thing that has changed is that Jordy has become the #1 target on scrambles. For a long time, that was Cobb's job. Doesn't hurt him to be able to do that.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think mraynrand, joemailman and bobblehead together are onto something, if you combine them. Packers keep 6WR, with one of them being Janis, who will see the field on regular downs about as often as Bush played CB.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

They start out with 8 WRs worth considering, 9 if McCaffrey is included. I think we end up keeping 7 WRs. That leaves one as odd man out - assuming no one gets injured and ends up on IR, and they don't manage to stash somebody on the practice squad. Forget McCaffrey. That leaves on other one gone. My obvious candidate would be Trevor Davis, who showed very little last season.

As was said, I will be damn pissed off if they fart around and don't give Janis a chance again - and I mean as a receiver, not just on special teams. The guy has been nothing but good every time he had an opportunity. This crap about being stupid or bad at running patterns, etc. I think is just making excuses for the coaching staff not playing him enough.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Upside is that Cobb gets better with two better guys outside of him. He's not coming off the field unless M3 deploys 2 TE or 3 TEs, but if the outside guys are causing trouble, he will thrive with room to maneuver. Bennett helps him here too.

One thing that has changed is that Jordy has become the #1 target on scrambles. For a long time, that was Cobb's job. Doesn't hurt him to be able to do that.
    Don't you think that the signing of Bennett AND Kendricks points to deploying 2 TE's a lot more than in the past? I do. Plus, I see Monty getting more catches han recent Packers RB's. Cobb is a good player, but he's getting close to being expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    They start out with 8 WRs worth considering, 9 if McCaffrey is included. I think we end up keeping 7 WRs. That leaves one as odd man out - assuming no one gets injured and ends up on IR, and they don't manage to stash somebody on the practice squad. Forget McCaffrey. That leaves on other one gone. My obvious candidate would be Trevor Davis, who showed very little last season.

As was said, I will be damn pissed off if they fart around and don't give Janis a chance again - and I mean as a receiver, not just on special teams. The guy has been nothing but good every time he had an opportunity. This crap about being stupid or bad at running patterns, etc. I think is just making excuses for the coaching staff not playing him enough.
    The coaches aren't stupid. If Janis is as good as you say, he'd be playing. They could use his speed, but speed ain't enough. The difference between Jordy Nelson and Jeff Janis is that Nelson does things the right way all the time. Janis some of the time.

based on last year...nelson, cobb, adams, allison, are your top 4. who cares how the others fall. it would take quite a preseason, or an injury, for someone to uproot allison at 4. if someone actually beats him out that's great cuz that means the team is getting better and that's the whole point.
    Last edited by gbgary; 07-09-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Don't you think that the signing of Bennett AND Kendricks points to deploying 2 TE's a lot more than in the past? I do. Plus, I see Monty getting more catches han recent Packers RB's. Cobb is a good player, but he's getting close to being expendable.
    Yeah, but given that Cobb can also be put in the backfield AND deployed as a wing, I don't think he comes off for each 2 TE set.

But we'll see. I do think Adams stays outside with Jordy in 2 TE sets. He's too good now to pull off the field.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think Trevor Davis is the dark horse here. He's fast as lightning and has improved over the offseason, if the WR coach is to be believed. He's got confidence and he's catching the ball. My guess is he makes the team. Janis has been around for what, three years now? The dude is what he is - the Jarrett Bush of WR's. That's not entirely bad, but it means if someone can play ST like he does and offers more upside as a receiver, Janis will be gone and we'll see him playing for Detroit in the fall.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I agree with Fritz. Rodgers went to Geronimo down the stretch last year, not Janis. Those two hail marys won't save Janis if Rodgers can't consistently trust him to understand the offense. Jarrett Bush of the offense seems to be a perfect description. The counter argument some have made is the Schroder exception, but this training camp will be Janis' last chance. I suspect Janice may be disappointed come August: "Davis, Davis, Davis!"
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I say this the year he learns how to run routes.

Davis would have to make a huge improvement, as he showed little or nothing last year. I suppose his 40 time is faster than Janis, but it seems like Janis plays faster. As for the route running, I hope it's like Harlan says. My point of view, though, is that in those three years Janis has been around, for whatever reason, he wasn't given enough opportunities. Hopefully he will get that this year. It would be a damn shame if he ended up in Detroit or wherever and became a star - which I could really see happening.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I say this the year he learns how to run routes.