Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: PackerRats Glossary

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    KYP and Woodie have taken care of Grabby McSmurf. I could not find the first instance for the coiner of the nickname, but it is one of the best.

Since neither KYP or Woodie volunteered the next word up for a definition, I will.

Packer People is next.
    Are Packer People fans that see it all and Green Bay Packers?

They live and die Green and Gold and never give up on their team no matter what they are solidly behind everything Green Bay Packers.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Wrong

Packer People

Packer People is any incoming player that achieves the high bar of membership into joining the Packers organization and contributing to the success of the team on the field while staying out of trouble off of it. This type of player works hard, talks less, and tows the company line. Off the field they are involved in community benefit activities, hold bible study groups, and most importantly stay out of trouble with the law. These types of players are the expected norm in Green Bay while all the other teams in the NFL don't mind and in fact actively seek out bad seeds to be part of their gangster organizations.

Packer People is a high bar to achieve, some say even impossible. Yet Green Bay has a roster of 53 Packer People each and every season which is utterly incredible.

*Editor's Note - Packer People has been proven a fallacy.

Next up Stubby

Before we get to Stubby, let us also remind everyone that whenever a player, particularly a defensive lineman, does something stupid in regards to the law ("Hey, let me bring a gun into the parking deck and shoot it off!" "Hey, I think I'll get drunk and high on my birthday and then go for a drive!") he is also labeled "Packer People." As in, "Letroy Guion, he's just like Cletidus Hunt - just good Packer People!"
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post

Next up Stubby
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Packer People

Packer People is any incoming player that achieves the high bar of membership into joining the Packers organization and contributing to the success of the team on the field while staying out of trouble off of it. This type of player works hard, talks less, and tows the company line. Off the field they are involved in community benefit activities, hold bible study groups, and most importantly stay out of trouble with the law. These types of players are the expected norm in Green Bay while all the other teams in the NFL don't mind and in fact actively seek out bad seeds to be part of their gangster organizations.

Packer People is a high bar to achieve, some say even impossible. Yet Green Bay has a roster of 53 Packer People each and every season which is utterly incredible.

Next up Stubby
    I'm pretty certain I coined this phrase. Stubborn + Tubby = Stubby. Mike McCarthy is a stubborn man, often more in legend than reality. The legend and the reality is that Stubby refuses to budge, to adapt his gameplay to emerging situations, because, by God his plan is solid and should work. This leads to things like running the ball with an out of shape running back named Wynn until he collapses with cramps. Or just running endlessly because the scouting report showed that the opposition is susceptible to the run. Even when they lose a d back. Even when you have Rodgers and Nelson, Jones, Jennings, Findley, and Driver all hoping to connect on a pass. And Lord knows he will 'play the odds' at the end of a game to run the clock out, no matter how the momentum swings. he knows the odds damnit! We will win using this run the clock, force the opposition to use up it's TOs, and minimize the opponents possessions strategy. No way some guy will flub the onside kick and ruin the whole thing, right? On the Tubby side, who can ignore that McCarthy is starting to become an astronomical phenomena? Like Denny Green before him, McCarthy is starting to register on Cal Tech instruments as an independent gravity well. Stubby most likely and typically eats at fine restaurants, but no doubt slums at the Golden Corral for some comfort food from the trough after a particularly tough loss, of this I'm certain. Stubby is a Great coach, in all the definitions of the term. And stubborn. Don't ever forget that.

Next up: Clusterfavre
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Love Stubby...MM fit Stubby before I knew its correct usage was primarily directed at his intractable nature. I use it frequently, and in proper context people unfamiliar with the term but fully familiar with Stubby immediately catch its reference and meaning; I daresay the term is metastasizing like a Cleft Crusty squamous cell butt mole.

I liked the Packer People definition, but would point out that Packer People has several possible usage profiles: it can be applied in all seriousness, as in Blake Martinez is Packer People; its negative can be used just as seriously, as in Colt Lyerla is not Packer People; and its facetious use must be understood as well, as in Letroy Guion was bringing home cash and bud for his fam 'cause he's Packer People.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Have we covered all the terms?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Have we covered all the terms?
    I have at least 20 more. Plus I am certain I forgot more than a few.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packer People

Next up Stubby
    That response was impressive.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Love Stubby...MM fit Stubby before I knew its correct usage was primarily directed at his intractable nature. I use it frequently, and in proper context people unfamiliar with the term but fully familiar with Stubby immediately catch its reference and meaning; I daresay the term is metastasizing like a Cleft Crusty squamous cell butt mole.

I liked the Packer People definition, but would point out that Packer People has several possible usage profiles: it can be applied in all seriousness, as in Blake Martinez is Packer People; its negative can be used just as seriously, as in Colt Lyerla is not Packer People; and its facetious use must be understood as well, as in Letroy Guion was bringing home cash and bud for his fam 'cause he's Packer People.
    Goddamn, Swede.

That was deep.

Sorta.

Swede is just Packer People.

KYPack

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Belichickism: the doctrines and professional football strategies developed or inspired by Bill Belichick, especially the utilization of ALL aspects of player acquisitions - draft, trade, free agency - competently and constantly. Belichickism includes the exploitation of loop holes for competitive advantages.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Belichickism: the doctrines and professional football strategies developed or inspired by Bill Belichick, especially the utilization of ALL aspects of player acquisitions - draft, trade, free agency - competently and constantly. Belichickism includes the exploitation of loop holes for competitive advantages.
    Hard to argue with that hahahahaha. He sure flies in the face of the old thing about "Winners never cheat, and Cheaters never win".
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Grabby McSmurf was Packer cornerback Ahman Carroll. He was dwarf-like. Listed at 5'10", he looked shorter than that. His nick came from his habit of not being able to keep his cotton pickin hands off receivers.

Who hung that name on him?

I'd guess Nutz or Skin. Those boys were usually at the bottom of most mischief in those days.
    We were remiss not to remember that Mike Sherman and his coaches at one time put Ahmad Carroll in boxing gloves to help teach him how to play press man and not grab the opponent in such a way as to draw a flag.

Nothing captured the moment of a player and his struggle to develop more than Carroll in boxing gloves in DB drills. Like a 6 year old wearing socks on their hands to bed so they don't pick their nose during the night.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Clusterfavre: A situation that has gone bad in multiple ways. Can't just be any contretemps, but must pit fans against each other in a battle that neither side wants to concede even after events have rendered a verdict.

As in, your recent Pro Bowl and HoF quarterback is agitating about retiring for a couple of years to increase leverage over the team so you draft a QB in the first round. Then, after a huge letdown in an NFC Championship game you should have won, you feel forced to retire, only to see the team move on without missing a beat. Feeling forced out, you develop an itch to play again in Summer. Everyone takes sides as no one can imagine jettisoning this QB for a 4th year player with no starts.

The bitterness must also last a good long while. Say, more than 3 years.

Next up: ???? can't find the list, hang on

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    nice. you can use "ish" also...i.e. that was a very belichickish move Gute just made. or you can use "ism" for something he's said (or might say) in the past...i.e. it's only a sprain...not open-heart surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Clusterfavre
    lol

OK, lost the list. I am sure its under "Work To Do List" somewhere, but I have cleverly hid it from prying eyes.

Here is what has been covered:

Packer People
    Stubby
    ClusterFavre
    Belichickism
    APRH
    BOMNF
    FWIW
    QFT
    FIFY
    Patlerized
    Unsound
    Dunderdummy
    Fuckdoggle
    Bretsky Curse
    Kool Aid Drinker
    Fire Slocum
    Polar Bear
    Frankenbacker
    Purple Jesus
    Pad Level
    The Meadow
    Soft n Small
    SprayPaintHair
    Grabby McSmurf
    Packer People

Next up: JAG