Thread: Romo at the Helm

Romo at the Helm

I had hoped with a fresh QB going into the studio, the live game analysis would be more along a constructive critique than the always sunny drivel we get from the Monday booth.

Apparently that is not to be. CBS is basically mandating that Romo scale back his critique.

A lot of people made fun of Madden because he made it sound way too easy to understand ("it's gotta be more complicated than that, right?"). But that was Madden's gift. He could explain the right way and the wrong way to do something in such simple language that even someone who never played the sport (e.g. me) could learn about its nuances.

I was hoping Romo could bring the broadcast back to that mentality. I guess it won't be happening.

Related, I have always wished there was an alternative broadcast for each game that didn't aim to appeal to the lowest common denominator, instead offering actual critique and analysis, teaching viewers the finer points of the sport.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post

Related, I have always wished there was an alternative broadcast for each game that didn't aim to appeal to the lowest common denominator, instead offering actual critique and analysis, teaching viewers the finer points of the sport.
    I provide this for my family and they requested that I stop. Perhaps it's mostly the 100 decibel yelling.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

That's funny, I don't recall Madden having a gift for explaining complexity in simple language. I mostly remember him as an abuser of pre-digital technology (coach's clicker and CBS chalkboard--god I hated that thing) and a master of goofy circular reasoning ("Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they’re bigger than everybody else, and that’s what makes them the biggest guys on the field"). He also had a quiet erotic side ('Mark Brunell usually likes to soak his balls before a rainy game").

TV is now programming for the next marginal viewer. They know you are tuning in.

They are trying to get your wife and kids tuned in.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    TV is now programming for the next marginal viewer. They know you are tuning in.

This is a ruthless and poignant truth that deserves to be repeated.

They're trying the man-love angle? Like Smithers-Burns? Or a twisted episode of Glee? My kids run away.

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    They're trying the man-love angle? Like Smithers-Burns? Or a twisted episode of Glee? My kids run away.

I'll be honest. I have never understood how mentioning the QB more gets women to tune in. But that is definitely the approach.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'll be honest. I have never understood how mentioning the QB more gets women to tune in. But that is definitely the approach.
    It's probably violating some modern code to say it, but women (and kids) actually like successful, competent men who are good leaders.

It's probably violating some modern code to say it, but women (and kids) actually like successful, competent men who are good leaders.
    I'd buy it, for men as well. But I think it has more to do with the power of repetition and advertising materials.

And unfortunately, Q scores.

I provide this for my family and they requested that I stop. Perhaps it's mostly the 100 decibel yelling.
    Facts vs Volume
    "Aw, I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?" - Homer Simpson

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose: it's how drunk you get." - Homer Simpson

But I think it has more to do with the power of repetition and advertising materials.
    QFT

But I think it has more to do with the power of repetition and advertising materials.
    QFT
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by theeaterofshades View Post
    Facts vs Volume
    Being convinced you know the former generally leads to the latter.

If your yelling lasts for more than 4 hours, please consult your therapist.

Having a cute QB with dimples in the booth isn't going to get women to tune in for very long. A woman will watch football for the same reason men do - they like the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Having a cute QB with dimples in the booth isn't going to get women to tune in for very long. A woman will watch football for the same reason men do - they like the game.
    I've become a huge fan of women's beach volleyball every Olympic year. I like the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I've become a huge fan of women's beach volleyball every Olympic year. I like the game.
    Don't kid us. You like their uniforms!