Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Self-Scouting: Packerrats Edition

Self-Scouting: Packerrats Edition

Just as MM "self scouts" during the bye week, I thought I would take this opportunity to, well, self scout. I wonder if you might do the same. We spend a lot of time telling each other what's wrong with each other; what if we turned the lens inward?

Fritz has been deeply disappointed with Hundley's inability to come out of the gate (after Rodgers's injury) and play well. Fritz thought that with two years of watching and learning and not getting pummeled, Hundley ought to be able to step in and move the offense, albeit not like Rodgers moves the offense.

But why? After lots of pondering, here's one possible answer: Fritz is a child of the 70's. In the 70's, the game was played differently. That era featured, I believe, more running plays than any other decade, maybe ever. I did some research on that several years ago and found that was the case.

So in the 70's, a backup quarterback lived in a system where he could step in and hand the ball off while throwing the occasional pass. In addition, in the 70's, QB's who completed over 50% of their passes were considered decently accurate. Defensive backs used stickum on their hands (perfectly legal), grabbed and shoved receivers all over the field, and aimed to injure receivers who dared to go over the middle or extend themselves for a catch.

In fact, Fritz's fixation on the 70's game caused him to fear people like Mike Holmgren, who seemed to not understand the importance of running the ball. It took Fritz years of therapy (getting Patlerized and PB-ized helped) to get over that reluctance to embrace the forward pass.

So now Fritz expects a backup QB to be able to come in and run that offense, not realizing that the game is much more complicated than it was back in his childhood days. There are more defensive formations to read, more kinds of blitzes to consider, more pressure to pass the ball - you can't just run all the time in today's NFL.

In sum, Fritz's past continues to inflect his understanding of the game, or, more accurately, his misundertanding of the game. He needs to be more patient with Hundley and not expect him to get it all at once, just cuz he had a chance to learn behind Rodgers. That worked in 1973 (unless you were Scott Hunter or Bobby Douglas or the myriad of third-rate or washed-up QB's of the 70's in Packer land), but maybe not any more.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Maxie's biggest problem is pad level. But he'll fix that by next Sunday.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Hoosier is deeply dismayed with his uncanny ability to predict a sub-500 final record that nobody saw coming. Nobody else I mean. Why do I have to be the seer?

This is like an AA meeting.

My higher power expects Hundley to get a couple more wins, which lures Rodgers out of retirement. Not sure it is worth it, but guess I'll just roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    This is like an AA meeting.

My higher power expects Hundley to get a couple more wins, which lures Rodgers out of retirement. Not sure it is worth it, but guess I'll just roll with it.
    You call that self-scouting???

Rooting for the high upside, athletic guys drafted in the top half of the draft (Harrell, Sherrod, Jones, Fackrell) that struggle to find a spot doesn't seem to actually help them. Unless you are Nick Perry.

But it makes me feel better that there is hope.

SPRIGGS™!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Beveaux1 said that it would take 4 to 5 games to gauge just how good Hundley would be and he predicted he would be an average back up QB in the NFL. He then watched the debacle in Green Bay last week and said that Hundley would never be even a poor NFL QB.

He obviously did not understand that average back up QBs can have good games and some stinkers, usually in equal parts. He has been humbled by this lack of knowledge, but will still make wild predictions in the heat of the moment even though he knows better.

Bobblehead has always abhorred idiots who speak in the 3rd person, but finds himself doing it anyway just to follow a theme. He also thought Sherrod was going to be good, but never was that high on spriggs. Too skinny and doesn't have any nasty in him...but I love being wrong in case he turns it around.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Pugger is a dumb broad who doesn't know football from Tittlywinks.

ignorable.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Pugger is a dumb broad who doesn't know football from Tittlywinks.
    I believe the correct expression is 'teat-ly-winks'
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

TPB is an incurable optimist. Optimism, however, almost always equates to reality - especially when you have Aaron Rodgers on your team (and playing).

BTW, I said it when Hundley made some mistakes, and I'll say it again after he played so well: Hundley isn't the main problem/reason for the Packers losing games. It's the bunch of sad sacks that Ted Thompson provided as a supporting cast and which he has now been exposed about.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    You call that self-scouting???
    hoosier is a dumb broad who doesn't know football from Tittlywinks.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I believe the correct expression is 'teat-ly-winks'

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    TPB is an incurable optimist. Optimism, however, almost always equates to reality - especially when you have Aaron Rodgers on your team (and playing).

BTW, I said it when Hundley made some mistakes, and I'll say it again after he played so well: Hundley isn't the main problem/reason for the Packers losing games. It's the bunch of sad sacks that Ted Thompson provided as a supporting cast and which he has now been exposed about.
    That doesn't make any sense. Rodgers is great but he can't do it alone. Nobody can. The only real difference with our offense right now is at the QB position and a departed TE so either not having Bennett is the reason or Hundley's play.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    ignorable.
    I'm sorry, did you say something?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. Rodgers is great but he can't do it alone. Nobody can. The only real difference with our offense right now is at the QB position and a departed TE so either not having Bennett is the reason or Hundley's play.
    The problems were always there, but we just usually won anyway with Rodgers - piss poor O Line, mediocre talent on defense saved by Capers' scheming and time of possession, receivers who seemed better than they were because Rodgers was the one throwing to them.

Hundley is getting better - which in the Packers case means getting used to the fact that he's gonna be rushed horribly on virtually every play.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I'm sorry, did you say something?
    who...me?

esoxx likes spicy chicken

Cumby is a pet hoarder.