Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is McCarthy the problem?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Is Stubby the problem?

The buck stops with him. He and his entire staff including Capers should go. Their act is stale. Being a Packers fan nowadays is like watching a long-running TV series that is past it's prime. The plot is predictable. I don't care if Stubby rallies the troops and runs the table. It's time for some new blood.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

There are a lot of worse head coaches around. McCarthy is ok when it comes to not overtly blowing games. He just doesn't take risks sometimes when they need to be taken to win tough games. (I hate to use the word conservative for that - try too cautious).

And regarding his staff, I've said many times, we would be seriously hurting without the creativity of Capers, given the lame personnel that Ted Thompson has saddled this team with. THAT is squarely where blame needs to be assessed - on Ted Thompson.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    There are a lot of worse head coaches around. McCarthy is ok when it comes to not overtly blowing games. He just doesn't take risks sometimes when they need to be taken to win tough games. (I hate to use the word conservative for that - try too cautious).

And regarding his staff, I've said many times, we would be seriously hurting without the creativity of Capers, given the lame personnel that Ted Thompson has saddled this team with. THAT is squarely where blame needs to be assessed - on Ted Thompson.
    But Ted drafted Rodgers, that makes him a genius.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    But Ted drafted Rodgers, that makes him a genius.
    No, but he's OK when it comes to not overtly blowing every pick in all his drafts. Be careful: we really don't want to heap unnecessary praise on these losers.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Capers sucks, the other offenses KNOW what we are calling.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Is Stubby the problem?

The buck stops with him. He and his entire staff including Capers should go. Their act is stale. Being a Packers fan nowadays is like watching a long-running TV series that is past it's prime. The plot is predictable. I don't care if Stubby rallies the troops and runs the table. It's time for some new blood.
    Hear, hear, couldn’t agree more!

The 57 yard FG attempt was just plain dumb. Still hard to believe that decision actually.

I think McCarthy should stay and Capers should go. However, if McCarthy is unwilling to get rid of Capers, then perhaps they both need to go.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    "Stubby, Look at you. You used to be so cocky. You were going to go out and conquer the NFL. You once called Bill Belichick "a warped, frustrated, cheating coach"! What are you but a warped, frustrated middle-aged coach? A miserable little head coach from a tiny little town crawling in here on your hands and knees and begging for a contract extension. No playoffs this year, no championship, nothin' but a single miserable little Super Bowl victory some NFC north trophies and 8 straight playoff appearances. Why, you're worth more dead than alive! Stubby, why don't you go to that Packer fan base you love so much and ask them to let you keep your job? You know why? Because they'd run you out of town on a rail."
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    The 57 yard FG attempt was just plain dumb. Still hard to believe that decision actually.
    Fans are just starting to notice things like the 57 yard field goal attempt now.
    There’s been signs of his thick headed ness years ago.
    I don’t think we will ever, ever forgive him for that Seahawks NFC Championship poop the bed.
    Sure you could start blaming Bostick and other players for it, but MM’s conservative play calling coming down the stretch of that game was the clincher.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 11-29-2017 at 04:29 PM.

If Crosby tells you he can make it, you do not believe him? What do you put his odds at?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I was opposed to trying the 57 yard field goal. However, if Crosby had made it, it wouldn't have been the first time he made a kick that I thought shouldn't have been attempted. My opposition to trying the kick had nothing to do with Crosby. With the revolving door at long snapper, the kicking game has been a little less dependable this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I was opposed to trying the 57 yard field goal. However, if Crosby had made it, it wouldn't have been the first time he made a kick that I thought shouldn't have been attempted. My opposition to trying the kick had nothing to do with Crosby. With the revolving door at long snapper, the kicking game has been a little less dependable this year.
    He always believes in his guys.

Did anyone see any discussion about what happened with the block? Low kick or penetration?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If Crosby tells you he can make it, you do not believe him? What do you put his odds at?
    Considering the longest FG in Heinz Field history is 53 yards (yes tied by Boswell Sunday night), I'd put the odds of him making it between slim and none.

I think there was talk he was hitting some in pregame but hellva difference between pregame and game conditions with a rush on.

It was a reckless and foolish decision. It was then and is now.

Considering the longest FG in Heinz Field history is 53 yards (yes tied by Boswell Sunday night), I'd put the odds of him making it between slim and none.

I think there was talk he was hitting some in pregame but hellva difference between pregame and game conditions with a rush on.

Heinz field has had some terrible fields, much worse than Sunday night. Horrible rain and wind. And a HOST of bad FG kickers after the naked selfie guy left the scene.

I don't think the history tells as much of a story as people seem to be thinking. Wonder what the numbers are on good kickers over 50 yards there is decent conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Since no one has ever kicked a FG longer than 53 yards at Heinz Field, I put the odds close to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Is Stubby the problem?

I would have to believe the buck actually stops with Mark Murphy. The man large and in charge. Unless we want to dig a little deeper, then the buck stops with the 43 (count 'em) folks who ultimately decide - http://www.packers.com/team/executive-committee.html

Boswell, who had never kicked a FG longer than 51 yards, kicked one for 53 in the game. So there's almost no way that Crosby, a much more accomplished kicker, could have kicked one from 4 yards further out? Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Since no one has ever kicked a FG longer than 53 yards at Heinz Field, I put the odds close to zero.
    I'd guess somewhere around 30% for Crosby. I'd be willing to bet that if they it were possible to know the exact chances and someone told M3 that there was a 1 in 3 chance, he'd still take it. He took a risk on one of his better players making a play and it didn't work out.

At any rate, I doubt punting was ever considered. If they had Rodgers, they would have gone for the 1st down. Hundley was like 6/7 on third down in that game, so maybe they should have gone after it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.