View Poll Results: What would you do with Ted Thompson ?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree with Murphy. Extend him and let him be the GM as long as he wants

6 40.00%
  • Doug Melvanize TT. Get his replacemnt in line for a promo next year-TT becomes a consultant

4 26.67%
  • Wait til his contract expires and see who is available

2 13.33%
  • One Superbowl; Goodbye and Let's move on now

3 20.00%

Thread: COMMENTS BY MARK MURPHY

Blog Entries

COMMENTS BY MARK MURPHY

Recent Comments from the Packer Brass noted Ted Thompson has done a great job and he can remain as our GM as long as he wants...agree...or disagree ??
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Hocking a topic from ESPN 1070. Most felt we have a unique opportunity in place to line up an experienced youthful successor in John Dorsey as our next GM for many years to come. Of course....I want Eliott Wolf but it's an interesting debate. I think TT has a yr left on current contract. I don't think anybody feels we should jet from TT. But would you want to actively plan for the future or see where it takes us ?

They made a comparison...albeit a bad one...with how the Brewers started a movement with Melvin but just felt like it in the best interests for the Brewers to move on. Obviously the Bucks seemed to be going that route as well but when their GM left the search turned out to be a bloody mess within the organization and the assumed heir apparent bolted out the door when one side of management won the battle and he was not hired.

What say you rats ??
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I think he's done an above-average job. He's hard to maintain excellence when you're picking so low in the draft every year, especially when you don't like FA historically and your HOF draft pick defender is forced to retire far too young.

I think they'll bring in Dorsey.

Blog Entries
    So you are in favor of hiring Dorsey now as he's the heir apparent ? That is part of the debate. Dorsey doesn't stay available for that long IMO.

I hire him as assistant to the GM or something and make the transition in a year or so. Pay him what a top tier GM gets paid presently and call it a day. You almost certainly lose Gutenkunst and Wolf then, but oh well. You'd have a proven commodity who went deep into the AFC playoffs without a QB. Very impressive work.

A lot depends on Ted. If Ted is thinking one more year, he may be loathe to throw Dorsey in the mix and create even more internal candidates. Dorsey could sit a year, or get a consulting gig, then apply for the job.

If Ted brings in Dorsey, he might want another couple of years.

I want Ted to stay, then in order, Schneider, Dorsey, Wolf/Gutenkist.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Schneider isn't leaving Seattle any time soon. Rehiring Dorsey is an interesting idea, however. He might be a good #2 guy until Ted decides to retire and/or go back to scouting.

Let TT finish his contract then get someone younger. Youth is where it's at according to Ted himself. Be kind of silly go against your own practices.

Best GM in football. Keep him until that changes or he decides to retire

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I'm OK with having a succession plan, but not one that is unnecessarily heavy-handed. If they hired Dorsey back as the hand-picked, someday successor, I'd be fine with that, if he is.

I would suspect they are making their own plans in-house, and not sharing it with anyone else. When someone does a good job, like TT has done overall, you don't treat him like trash on the way out just because it's a business and you want to stay one step ahead, or keep guys in-house. You do that, you're inviting Karma's wrath. Sure, you don't want to miss out on the next great GM, but you also have to appreciate what you have right now, and that anyone else is an unknown.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bump
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Recent Comments from the Packer Brass noted Ted Thompson has done a great job and he can remain as our GM as long as he wants...agree...or disagree ??
    What was your Source for the above Bretsky?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    What was your Source for the above Bretsky?
    you would have had to ask me about 6 months ago and I would have been able to respond

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    you would have had to ask me about 6 months ago and I would have been able to respond
    I know what you mean hahaha.

I found the Article and the date of it was July 12, 2017 @ 6:18 PM EDT

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-p...ng-a-great-job

Packers president: GM Ted Thompson doing a 'great job'

GREEN BAY, Wis. " ...Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy says general manager Ted Thompson is doing a great job, and the team will have a plan in place whenever he decides to retire or step down.

Murphy says his first objective is to keep Thompson in place as long as the longtime GM enjoys the work. ... "

Date: July 12, 2017 @6:18 PM EDT

Comment woodbuck27:

So it's safe to report that about July 12, 2017 and unless Mark Murphy was misquoted; he was PLEASED ( "is doing a great job " Mark Murphy ) with Ted Thompson, as the Packer GM.

As of this past Summer, President and CEO Mark Murphy had zero plans to remove him from his duties as Packer GM as long as Ted Thompson enjoyed his work.

It sure looks to me like 1265 needed to get the very best PR Person hired as was available as they ended up in a PR Nightmare.

I like the move by Murphy. Not sure if adjusting the chain of command was necessary or wise.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I like the move by Murphy. Not sure if adjusting the chain of command was necessary or wise.
    Any Issues (complaints) that Mike McCarthy might have now go directly to President and CEO Mark Murphy.

This allows The Packer GM Brian Gutekunst and Russ Ball to focus on their duties; and possibly NOT have to focus primarily on MM's Issues. Thus a buffer zone is (thereby) created. and Mark Murphy is then more aware of all possible political issues and on the Coaching Front.

Personally I'm skeptical based on my observations that MM is objective and/or competent in assessing talent at the Player or Coaching levels. He is clearly indecisive on one hand and 'out of touch 'and reality on the other. I aim that last comment based in how long it took him to dismiss Shawn Slocum and Dom Capers. I base that comment on some of the Coaches he released this Off Season and clearly feel those calls were questionable. ie:

A. ) Edgar Bennett – Offensive Coordinator !!! This is a Packer HOFER and has been a Packer Director of Player Development 2001 -04. He's had extensive experience as a Packer Coach including RB's and WR's (2005-14) and working hand in hand with MM as OC 2015-17.

Edgar Bennett was snapped up by Jon Gruden the New HC in Oakland and will be the Raiders WR's Coach.

Here's that Story:

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-ra...oach-113637890

Report: Raiders hire former Packers OC Edgar Bennett (13 Hours ago)

The Raiders just made a home run hire for their wide receivers coach.

B.) Mike Trgovac – Defensive Line Why was he dismissed !? (The DL is arguably the Packers BEST Position on the Packers Roster)

DT Kenny Clark (We saw a big improvement in Kenny Clark in the 2017 Season over his Rookie SEason)

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/K...c-7064626282e0

DT Mike Daniels (Made the Pro Bowl as an Alternate):

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/M...4-0860a519610f

DE Dean Lowrey (improved in 2017)

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/D...3-3f0133bf0772

DT Quinton Dial: (Value)

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/Q...4-b962a75ed45a

DT Montravius Adams: (Injury)

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/M...9-6eb9a4a2502c

C.) Scott McCurley – Assistant Linebackers (ILBers) ... Why was he dismissed?...He coached LB Black Martinez (Tied for 1st in Tackles for the entire NFL 96 T and 48 AT or 144 Total Tackles)

Blake Martinez:

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/B...4-36afc6c639b5

Was this Guy really all that bad with 80 Tackles PLUS two SEasons in a row !? !?

LBer Jake Ryan:

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/J...b-2c2a933d4e80

Consider that players lost games due to injury like Clay Matthews ( 7.5 SACKS started 14 Games) and Nick Perry ( 7 SACKS Started 11 games) . Ahmad Brooks (1.5 SACKS missed 4 games and only started 5 games). Joe Thomas 0.5 SACKS missed 4 games and only started 1 Game.

The rest of the Packer LBers are RAW.

That the Packers let Julius Peppers WALK to Carolina, where he contributed 11 SACKS in the 2017 Season.

I'll rest my case there but there is more ...
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-13-2018 at 11:24 AM.