Thread: Demovsky Projection of 53 Man Roster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I thoroughly expect Evans to play better than Lang would have - even if the money had been equal, which obviously it is not.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I thoroughly expect Evans to play better than Lang would have - even if the money had been equal, which obviously it is not.
    I don't. Evans will be 34 before the start of the season, and I expect will not be the elite player he has been for most of his career. In fact, I won't be shocked if his performance falls of a cliff like Jeff Saturday's did. It happens. On the other hand, I won't be surprised if he puts together another solid, but unspectacular year and plays all 16 games. Either way, signing him was a good move. If Lang can stay relatively healthy, I expect he will still be one of the best guards in the league. Evans was even better, but that was a few years ago. I am hoping for nothing more than solid, reliable play from him.

Sitton and Lang were an usual pair of guards, both among the very best in the league. The Packers were fortunate to have them. Unfortunately, both had building histories with injuries. For a number of years, they managed to be available for games, but practiced very little even as relatively young players. It continued last year for Sitton in Chicago and for Lang in GB. Neither practiced much for many weeks, but last year each also missed three games entirely and played little in several others. I won't be surprised if either or both miss even more games this year. Sitton is attempting to compensate for chronic back problems by losing weight, and has had recurring leg problems. Lang has a chronic hip issue and may not be ready for camp because of surgeries on his hip and foot that he broke twice last year. Two years ago he had significant injuries to both shoulders, had surgery on one and was rumored to have had surgery on both. His foot problems have been recurring.

Evans has had some recent injury issues, too, but managed to play all 16 and reportedly very well in 2016. A $200k bet on his health and performance makes a lot more sense than a nearly $20M bet on Lang's.
    Last edited by Patler; 07-23-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I don't. Evans will be 34 before the start of the season, and I expect will not be the elite player he has been for most of his career. In fact, I won't be shocked if his performance falls of a cliff like Jeff Saturday's did. It happens. On the other hand, I won't be surprised if he puts together another solid, but unspectacular year and plays all 16 games. Either way, signing him was a good move. If Lang can stay relatively healthy, I expect he will still be one of the best guards in the league. Evans was even better, but that was a few years ago. I am hoping for nothing more than solid, reliable play from him.

Sitton and Lang were an usual pair of guards, both among the very best in the league. The Packers were fortunate to have them. Unfortunately, both had building histories with injuries. For a number of years, they managed to be available for games, but practiced very little even as relatively young players. It continued last year for Sitton in Chicago and for Lang in GB. Neither practiced much for many weeks, but last year each also missed three games entirely and played little in several others. I won't be surprised if either or both miss even more games this year. Sitton is attempting to compensate for chronic back problems by losing weight, and has had recurring leg problems. Lang has a chronic hip issue and may not be ready for camp because of surgeries on his hip and foot that he broke twice last year. Two years ago he had significant injuries to both shoulders, had surgery on one and was rumored to have had surgery on both. His foot problems have been recurring.

Evans has had some recent injury issues, too, but managed to play all 16 and reportedly very well in 2016. A $200k bet on his health and performance makes a lot more sense than a nearly $20M bet on Lang's.
    Saturday was 37 when he started games for us in 2012. Evans is 3 years younger. I don't think he'll fall off a cliff like Saturday did.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Saturday was 37 when he started games for us in 2012. Evans is 3 years younger. I don't think he'll fall off a cliff like Saturday did.
    True, but for some reason guards don't hang around as long. I researched it and posted about it a while back here or elsewhere, perhaps even when Sitton was cut. Looking back several years there weren't even many guards over 30 who played a lot, and there were just a handful at 33. I don't think there was a single one 35 or older other than in a backup role. For centers, there was always a few 35/36 still hanging around and playing. There were more older tackles, too. I wondered if it might be because by and large tackles and centers had more athletic players.

Smile

True, but for some reason guards don't hang around as long. I researched it and posted about it a while back here or elsewhere, perhaps even when Sitton was cut. Looking back several years there weren't even many guards over 30 who played a lot, and there were just a handful at 33. I don't think there was a single one 35 or older other than in a backup role. For centers, there was always a few 35/36 still hanging around and playing. There were more older tackles, too. I wondered if it might be because by and large tackles and centers had more athletic players.
    I don't know if this means much but J. Evans was in with the other starters on the O line at RG at practice yesterday.

I don't know if this means much but J. Evans was in with the other starters on the O line at RG at practice yesterday.
    It means it's his job to lose. He played pretty well last year, so I doubt the wheels are about to fall off. Barring injury, no real reason to believe he won't be the starter this year.

Just 1 person's opinion but...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...amp/540727001/

When the Packers signed 37-year-old Jeff Saturday to start at center in 2012, there were signs early in camp he’d hit the wall. By season’s end, he no longer was the starter. No such red flags so far with six-time Pro Bowler Jahri Evans, who turns 34 later this month and is replacing T.J. Lang at right guard. Evans has been a crafty run blocker and fine in pass protection, though he had two false start penalties Saturday night.