Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: J.J. Watt Cares

J.J. Watt Cares

Raising Money for hurricane relief. Target keeps going up. He's up to 3.25 million. New goal s 4 million. https://twitter.com/JJWatt?ref_src=t...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

5 million now. wow!

The Titans owner, daughter of Bud Adams, franchise that used to be the Luv Ya Blue Houston Oilers, donated a cool $1 million to this.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    He is a quality guy and a great middle school soccer coach.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

6.62 million. New goal 10 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    6.62 million. New goal 10 million.
    It's pretty cool that Watt has helped raise more than 3 times what Google has.

$8.5m

$10,075,896

Not sure if they're stopping there.

https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofh...eharvey-915053

11.6 million.

Packers donated 100,000. That's a little weak for a team with a $350,000,000 reserve fund, unless they have additional plans. Several teams have given far more.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

11.6 million.

Packers donated 100,000. That's a little weak for a team with a $350,000,000 reserve fund, unless they have additional plans. Several teams have given far more.
    They need more cash in their legal defense fund with the wife-beater on board.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Yeah, the Packers donated $100K, the Ravens $1 million, but they don't list Watt. They are saying its going to Houston Flood Relief Fund

Green Bay Packers‏ @packers 5h5 hours ago
    #Packers donate $100,000 to Houston Flood Relief Fund

Which is close to the Human Fund. Money. For People. Is that the name Watt is using for his Go Fund Me?

Baltimore Ravens‏ @Ravens
    The Ravens are donating $1 million to the recovery efforts in Houston.

Join us in these efforts by donating here: http://redcross.org/nfl

Ravens going with Red Cross. I can understand the orgs bypassing Watt and going directly with known commodities. Reggie White lost a bunch of receipts.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yeah, the Packers donated $100K, the Ravens $1 million, but they don't list Watt. They are saying its going to Houston Flood Relief Fund

Green Bay Packers‏ @packers 5h5 hours ago
    #Packers donate $100,000 to Houston Flood Relief Fund

Which is close to the Human Fund. Money. For People. Is that the name Watt is using for his Go Fund Me?

Baltimore Ravens‏ @Ravens
    The Ravens are donating $1 million to the recovery efforts in Houston.

Join us in these efforts by donating here: http://redcross.org/nfl

Ravens going with Red Cross. I can understand the orgs bypassing Watt and going directly with known commodities. Reggie White lost a bunch of receipts.

The fund that Watt is doing is called The Houston Flood Relief Fund. https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofh...eharvey-915053

Youcaring is a platform for many fundraising efforts. The Red Cross has been subject to criticism in the past. Many religious charities, like Catholic Charities and Samaritan's Purse, have less overhead than The Red Cross.

The fund that Watt is doing is called The Houston Flood Relief Fund. https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofh...eharvey-915053

Youcaring is a platform for many fundraising efforts. The Red Cross has been subject to criticism in the past. Many religious charities, like Catholic Charities and Samaritan's Purse, have less overhead than The Red Cross.
    Good information on that can be hard to come by. Catholic Charities don't seem to publish much audited financial disclosure info. They probably do claim low overhead but without audited statements, hard to be sure. Heck, would be dicey even if audited.

Samaritan's Purse gets better rating that Red Cross at Charity Watch (A- versus B+), but Red Cross has lower overhead (11 versus 23%). Red Cross spends much more on fund raising ($30 per $100 donated, versus $13 per $100).

11.6 million.

Vikings only did $100k too.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Vikings only did $100k too.
    So Packers have sunk to the Vikings level? Sad.

Houston is an NFL city. NFL should be doing A LOT, whether it's through Watt's fund or something else. Especially since the people of Houston probably had to help pay for the stadium they play in.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I'm glad we have a bunch of Rats who know how much people ought to donate. You guys keep me honest.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

12.7 million

over $13m now.

15.4 million

Took me a while to dig this up and get an idea of the critique about the Red Cross. Basic idea is Red Cross in your local area does great job providing shelter, food and clothing, access to medical care, etc. for local communities. See the low over head number. You have local fire that wipes out an apartment building or some homes? Call them. Tornado? Call them.

But in cases of national catastrophe, see Katrina, Haiti or possibly Harvey, they don't have the organizational heft to be effective at providing long term relief from all of their small platforms to one concentrated area for extended periods of time. They DO however, a great job of fundraising off those disasters, see the $30/100 of fund raising cost). Some of that success is probably people volunteering the Red Cross as the de facto route for giving in public appeals.

Here is a report about the less than stellar response to Haiti that the Red Cross oversaw. https://www.propublica.org/article/h...-built-6-homes