Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Training Camp Thread

Gunter's not soft; he's just slow. So half the Packers' problems are solved!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    MM on Special Teams:

"We're very green, and I'm not talking about the color of the uniforms."
    That's good news for the Janis lovers.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Michael Cohen
    @Michael_Cohen13
    #Packers CB Herb Waters will not practice today. McCarthy said Waters re-injured his shoulders yesterday. Original injury happened in OTAs.

Ryan Wood
    @ByRyanWood
    #Packers coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged sloppy run game on camp's first day, ball on ground too often. Wants it cleaned up immediately.

Michael Cohen
    @Michael_Cohen13
    McCarthy said Trevor Davis and Geronimo Allison have matured physically since last season. They are bigger and stronger. #Packers

Michael Cohen
    @Michael_Cohen13
    McCarthy said Randall Cobb is always part of the punt return game, but he expects Trevor Davis to take a big step in that area. #Packers

Ryan Wood
    @ByRyanWood
    McCarthy sounds high on #Packers WR Trevor Davis. Said he's definitely bigger than last year. "He's done a great job in the weight room."

Pete Dougherty‏Verified account @PeteDougherty 53s53 seconds ago
    First team drill of camp, Burnett at ILB, we're going to a lot of that this year.

Catching punts in PR drill: Cobb, Davis, Crockett, Rollins

Sixth-round pick Amichia playing center with No. 3 offense
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I heard King was in for Gunter starting opposite House today.

Ryan Wood
    @ByRyanWood
    Martellus Bennett left field after grabbing his leg following noncontact drill, but he ran back on and is doing drills. You can breathe now.

Aaron Nagler
    @AaronNagler
    Kevin King rolling with the ones opposite House.

Pete Dougherty
    @PeteDougherty
    In 2 minute drill King at CB ahead of Gunter and Lowry inside rusher with Daniels

Ryan Wood
    @ByRyanWood
    With 1 second on clock, Aaron Rodgers threads tight coverage from #Packers S Morgan Burnett to cap 2-minute drill w/ 13-yard TD to Bennett.

Aaron Nagler
    @AaronNagler
    Burnett has done a fantastic job these first 2 days staying w/Bennett when they match up..then Rodgers hits him with an in-defensible laser.

Aaron Nagler
    @AaronNagler
    Great back shoulder throw from Huntley to Trevor Davis in the end zone to beat Gunter for a TD. Tough one to stop.

Michael Cohen
    @Michael_Cohen13
    Second round of 2-minute drill: Hundley hits Geronimo Allison for a huge gain up the seam. Hundley back-shoulder to Trevor Davis for the TD.

Aaron Nagler
    @AaronNagler
    Rodgers didn't see it, but Janis shook House bad off the line of scrimmage. Play went to the opposite side but that's a great rep from Janis

Michael Cohen
    @Michael_Cohen13
    First interception of camp belongs to Damarious Randall. He made a sliding interception of Brett Hundley over the middle.

Aaron Nagler
    @AaronNagler
    Rollins getting all the reps in the slot with the ones in Pass Under Pressure.

Pete Dougherty
    @PeteDougherty
    Morgan Burnett lots of work at ILB with 1s, same for Josh Jones with 2s

Ryan Wood
    @ByRyanWood
    Brett Hundley threads to Jeff Janis, no window. Gunter and Randall collide playing ball. Gunter gets INT, Randall was slow getting up.

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein
    WR Trevor Davis getting first crack at kickoff return.

Aaron Nagler
    @AaronNagler
    Rodgers didn't see it, but Janis shook House bad off the line of scrimmage. Play went to the opposite side but that's a great rep from Janis

Very encouraging for Janis. I am sure coaches will see it on film. Breaking from press man was one thing he did not do well. Could be good sign.

Very glad to see King advance and Hundley makes some plays to Allison and Davis.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Michael Cohen
    @Michael_Cohen13
    Rodgers throws his first interception of camp. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix sliced in front of Bennett and made the catch along the sideline.

Aaron Nagler
    @AaronNagler
    Nice diving catch on the left sideline from Colby Pearson. Kid has some talent. Interested to see him with the lads on.

PackerRanter
    @PackerRanter
    After reading tweets from one and half training camp practices, I can confidently say this:

SUPER BOOOOOOOOWL!

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein
    Clinton-Dix only gets one foot down before going OB on potential 2nd INT.

gunter beat again...but gets the first int of camp so far.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    HOUSE!

Silverstein Twitter
    Davon House and LaDarius Gunter the starters at CB, Randall is the nickel. Jake Ryan and Joe Thomas at ILB. #packers
    They need to flip Gunter and Randall.

Gunter has the best pre-snap and solid mechanics, but the boy can't run the field.

Michael Cohen
    @Michael_Cohen13
    Rodgers throws his first interception of camp. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix sliced in front of Bennett and made the catch along the sideline.

Aaron Nagler
    @AaronNagler
    Nice diving catch on the left sideline from Colby Pearson. Kid has some talent. Interested to see him with the lads on.

PackerRanter
    @PackerRanter
    After reading tweets from one and half training camp practices, I can confidently say this:

SUPER BOOOOOOOOWL!

Tom Silverstein
    @TomSilverstein
    Clinton-Dix only gets one foot down before going OB on potential 2nd INT.

So are the reporters going to follow him around in his personal life to get a look at this?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Third Practice, in pads:

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport
    Looks like five not practicing. Waters, Goodson, Biegel, Peck and M Adams.

I miss the days when there was a written recap of practice with highlights, standouts, and poor performances. Now it's reporters tweeting with no summary and either a discussion on a podcast or a video. I am rarely where I can watch something. Why is written reporting a low priority? I understand why they're adding video/etc, but I don't understand why it's a replacement tactic.

I'm not that old, but I feel like I'm getting there.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    They need to flip Gunter and Randall.

Gunter has the best pre-snap and solid mechanics, but the boy can't run the field.
    I disagree. Gunter is a natural at covering moves/patterns like what you find on the outside - even though he sadly lacks speed. I don't think he has shown the quickness, though, to jump a slant route or other quick patterns you'll see in the slot. Randall seems to get lost on moves and patterns, but he definitely has the quickness and athleticism to stop the quick hit stuff.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I miss the days when there was a written recap of practice with highlights, standouts, and poor performances. Now it's reporters tweeting with no summary and either a discussion on a podcast or a video. I am rarely where I can watch something. Why is written reporting a low priority? I understand why they're adding video/etc, but I don't understand why it's a replacement tactic.

Seems very true. Scout.com, PackersNews (GBPG) and JSO have practice recaps but they are video.

Madison.com (WiSJ) just has features on the story of the day.

A bunch of media companies have been making a big transition to video, because it translates well to mobile devices AND forces users to watch the ads. There will be a lot less written content on the web from big media companies for a few years.

The problem is that most of them, including virtually all at packers news.com, are terrible at video. The practice report with Nagler and the beat writer of the day looks like it was filmed by a cell phone, written by a monkey and edited by a ghost.

Rob Demovsky‏ @RobDemovsky 2h2 hours ago
    Trevor Davis said he's OK after his hard fall in practice. Got the wind knocked out and a stinger with tingling... https://t.co/RzNA7jij2t

Montravius Adams has a foot injury, which is why the rookie DT missed the first padded... https://t.co/jQUyeUlWuG

Packers Practice Day 3: Padded

Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 5h5 hours ago
    Trevor Davis muffs first punt return try. I guess I put the whammy on him with story this morning.

On four punts with no wind, Justin Vogel averages 50.7 per. Three of the punts had hang time of 4.6 or better. Other was 3.7. Pretty good.

Some great catches in one on ones with CBs and WRs. Davante Adams smokes Gunter and then out fights Kevin King for position deep.

S Josh Jones very active in run game. Shot through line for tackle in backfield with ball at the 4 on last play of team drill.

WR Trevor Davis not helping cause with drop in the end zone.

K Mason Crosby makes 6 of 7 FGs with P Justin Vogel holding. Some weren't pretty. Could be unfamiliarity with Vogel.

Trevor Davis down after hitting ground hard trying to make catch.

Davis on his feet and walking off after spending awhile on the ground.

CB Quinten Rollllins has owned Randall Cobb today. Hasnt given him an inch all day. Just picked off Rodgers in EZ on another throw to Cobb.

I LIKE ROLLINS BUT THERE ISN'T A MORE DEPRESSING SENTENCE YOU COULD WRITE ABOUT A WR AFTER LAST YEAR'S DB PERFORMANCE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...-observations/

Josh Jones in pads doesn’t disappoint

The hype train keeps chugging along for rookie safety Josh Jones, who had another good showing in the first padded practice of the year. Jones flew all over the field and was always around the ball wherever it went. He made a tackle in the backfield untouched for a tackle and a safety blitz on one play that could have resulted in a sack.

His physicality was on display as he put a good hit on fellow rookie Malachi Dupre. Veteran tight end Richard Rodgers didn’t appreciate the hit and got into Jones’s face. The scuffle was quickly broken up by players.
    Other Notes and Observations

– Quinten Rollins made an impressive diving interception in the end zone off Aaron Rodgers near the end of practice, while safety Marwin Evans also had an interception off Joe Callahan.

– Kevin King and Davon House were once again the starting cornerbacks on the outside with Rollins in the slot. In his press conference before practice, head coach Mike McCarthy said to not pay attention to the rotation of defensive backs, but there was not much mixing and matching with the first team defense.

– Jayrone Elliott started 2-0 in 1-on-1 drills against the offensive line, while Kyler Fackrell was 0-2 according to Ryan Wood of PackersNews.Com

– Kicker Mason Crosby and rookie punter Justin Vogel both had solid practices on Saturday. Crosby went 6-for-7, hitting the post on a 42-yard field goal attempt, while his longest made was from 48 yards. Vogel had three good punts with one bad one, averaging 50.75 yards with a 4.51 average hang time according to Wood.

– Rookie defensive lineman Montravius Adams did not practice today with no injury reported yet.

I read that some of Crosby's kicks were not solid. Speculation that he and Vogel are still getting on same page.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I disagree. Gunter is a natural at covering moves/patterns like what you find on the outside - even though he sadly lacks speed. I don't think he has shown the quickness, though, to jump a slant route or other quick patterns you'll see in the slot. Randall seems to get lost on moves and patterns, but he definitely has the quickness and athleticism to stop the quick hit stuff.
    Well, I double dirty dog disagree. You want the slow guy covering the wide corner spot? I sure as hell don't. Gunter needs deep help & you'll skew your coverage trying to help him wide. I agree he may have trouble covering the quick slants, but he sure as hell can't cover flys. I think he's a nickel or dime guy. Well, Whitt and Perry will have to hash this one out.