Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017-18 PackerRats Fantasy Football Signup

We still have some outstanding invitations. Keep signing up.

Only need 8 more for two divisions of 10. Pretty sure about 2 of those.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

1. pbmax
    2. rutnstrut
    3. Zool
    4. Bretsky
    5. Tony Oday
    6. Freak Out
    7. Joemailman
    8. wist43
    9. swede
    10. LEWCWA
    11. mmmdk
    12. red
    13. Harvey's Wallbangera
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Which scoring system do we follow?
    Its a Point Per Reception league with pretty standard scoring except that I am toying with the idea of 6 points for QB TDs (previously its been 4 pos) and docking 4 points for turnovers instead of 2.

Details here: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...otball-2017-18

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Its a Point Per Reception league with pretty standard scoring except that I am toying with the idea of 6 points for QB TDs (previously its been 4 pos) and docking 4 points for turnovers instead of 2.

Details here: http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...otball-2017-18
    -4 pts per TO should be a nonstarter...

It gives the elite QB's far too much of an advantage... you could make the argument then that Rodgers should be the #1 pick.... it skews things too much.
    wist

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    you could make the argument then that Rodgers should be the #1 pick
    who the hell else should be?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Rodgers should be the #1 QB pick (its either him or Brady usually). But drafting a QB early in the first round (other than prime age Peyton Manning, Rodgers in 2011 or 2007 Brady with Moss) is a big opportunity cost.

Most leagues have 10 or 12 teams. Each of those teams needs 1 QB. There are 32 of those guys available, not all of whom will start every game but most of whom will throw a large volume of passes. The way that QBs are scored (esp. 4 points per TD, 1 or 2 points deducted for TO) means that the gap between the top QBs (Rodgers/Brees/Brady) and the bottom (I won or nearly won a fantasy league with Blake Bortles' garbage time extravaganza) isn't that huge a number.

Tradition and current league setup dictates your team will have 2 RBs and 2 or 3 WRs. There aren't enough top end backs to give each team two, nor enough top end WRs to get each team to three. For those positions, there aren't reliable difference makers by Round 4 and you are hopeful to get someone reliable without much risk. To get top production from RB or WR after Round 3, you need to draft some risks. In most drafts you can get Rodgers or Brady early in 3 and Ben or Brees in the fourth. In a Wisconsin league Rodgers is probably gone earlier.

The most logical way to deal with this is a league that requires you to start 2 QBs each week. Then the shit hits the playing time fan. Most players hate that setup for that very reason. 6 points for QB TDs and bigger deductions for turnovers (QB always lead the league in TOs) is a way to make the difference between the top QB and the 12th QB wider.

Rewards teams that invest in a QB earlier.

I'd keep the scoring setup the same. Very few are going to watch to change to something that isn't widely accepted and doesn't have many experts that rank players with that scoring setup. I don't have a lot of time to devote to see how that scoring setup will change the consensus rankings
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Blog Entries
    it would be frickin awesome to have 2 QB starters !! Keep scoring the same but make every team start 2 QB's
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    looks like we are close to having two 8 team leagues
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Where do we sign up? Yahoo? Is there a link?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

In if there's still room
    Go PACK

The problem with -4 per TO isn't so much that it inflates the value of a guy like Rodgers, it's that it completely kills the value of guys like Rothlesrapist and Stafford, et al.

Suppose Rodgers throws 3 tds 0 picks and Rothlesrapist throws 3 and 3... in 4,2 scoring the difference is 6 pts; in 6,4 scoring the difference is 12.

That's a big enough spread - that over the course of a season anyone that doesn't have Rodgers, Brady, or Brees is unlikely to be able to compete.

It's simply too big a variable at 1 position.
    wist

The problem with -4 per TO isn't so much that it inflates the value of a guy like Rodgers, it's that it completely kills the value of guys like Rothlesrapist and Stafford, et al.

Suppose Rodgers throws 3 tds 0 picks and Rothlesrapist throws 3 and 3... in 4,2 scoring the difference is 6 pts; in 6,4 scoring the difference is 12.

That's a big enough spread - that over the course of a season anyone that doesn't have Rodgers, Brady, or Brees is unlikely to be able to compete.

It's simply too big a variable at 1 position.
    But a scoring system that treats the QB more equitably, isn't telling you anything about their respective talents (for FF purposes anyway).

We'll see. The only notes I am getting back are against. So we might wait a year to consider it again.

Just keep it the way you had it planned PB. No reason to do a bunch of changing last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    But a scoring system that treats the QB more equitably, isn't telling you anything about their respective talents (for FF purposes anyway).

We'll see. The only notes I am getting back are against. So we might wait a year to consider it again.
    As I pointed out, it's not more equitable... it's skewed toward the elite QB's.
    wist

Blog Entries
    As I pointed out, it's not more equitable... it's skewed toward the elite QB's.
    Did we get docked last year for INT's ? I should probably read the rules

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Did we get docked last year for INT's ? I should probably read the rules
    I think -2... that's standard.
    wist

Turnovers should be -2 only.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Not to be bitchin, but. It would be kind of nice to know when we draft.

Brewmeister Rat Starter Travbrew's Avatar
    I'm in if you need another...sorry I'm late to the game. New career is a serious time suck.
    Semper Fi
    "Hhhmmm, beer..my only vice."