Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New CTE study - bad news for football

I still think a complete re-design of the helmets is in order. The first thing to go would be the hard outer shell, which causes players to use it as a weapon and transmits too much of the impact. Replace it with a soft but durable outer coating with a foam layer underneath. Below that a thin, hard layer, possibly carbon fiber, to protect against crushing damage / skull fractures. Inside that a thin rubbery gel layer and finally form insets for fit and final shock absorption. Attach the face mask to the hard middle layer with stiff springs. The whole thing would be made to reduce shock transmission to the brain but cold still be a similar size and weigh to regular helmets. It would be more like how a car protects squishy humans by having crumple zones on the outside, a stiff protection zone and some shock absorbers (air bags) on the inside.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

If the helmet was sort of an internal taser, I think it would improve things immensely.

Goes off when the shell is in contact with uniform or pads.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Madtown, please change my title from "Senior Rat" to "Barney Fuckdoggle Truther"

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...udy/507634001/

110 out of 111 donated brains of former players showed signs of CTE. Now there could be some sample bias as those who's families were concerned about CTE were probably more likely to donate brains for this study, but even so, 99+% is incredibly high.

This is not good for the future of football.
    No this is not good at all for football or for the future of our Packers. I hope what other posters predict which is the evolvement of the helmet and perhaps how the game is played - I dunno.

http://deadspin.com/report-nfl-to-wa...n-r-1797341084

NFL got caught trying to hand select (or, in the specific case, veto) who gets their hands-off $30 million dollar donation to the NIH for confusion research.

And now they are bailing on the rest of the commitment.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...udy/507634001/

110 out of 111 donated brains of former players showed signs of CTE. Now there could be some sample bias as those who's families were concerned about CTE were probably more likely to donate brains for this study, but even so, 99+% is incredibly high.

This is not good for the future of football.
    Yup !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://deadspin.com/report-nfl-to-wa...n-r-1797341084

NFL got caught trying to hand select (or, in the specific case, veto) who gets their hands-off $30 million dollar donation to the NIH for confusion research.

And now they are bailing on the rest of the commitment.
    If only I could do the same with my taxes.