Thread: 10 NFL Veterans Who Could Be Cut Before Week 1 (Is there a Packer on this list?)

10 NFL Veterans Who Could Be Cut Before Week 1 (Is there a Packer on this list?)

http://www.12up.com/posts/5318803-10...-1?a_aid=36476

10 NFL Veterans Who Could Be Cut Before Week 1

BY: Evan Dash ... 27 JUL 2017

" For most of the players in the NFL, it is a struggle to make the team just about every year. Obviously, the media focuses on the starters of each NFL team, but that only accounts for 22 out of the 53 players that make the roster at the end of the day. As training camp gets underway, coaches will give a hard look at their teams and will be forced to make decisions on who to cut and who to keep. As younger talent enters these training camps, it makes it harder for the older veterans to secure a spot on the team, ultimately putting their career in jeopardy. "

Who is on this list?

Please hit the LINK to find out.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I don't know if I buy it but on a couple of other Packers' forums I visit some say Rich Rod might not make the final 53 because we signed Bennett and Kendricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I don't know if I buy it but on a couple of other Packers' forums I visit some say Rich Rod might not make the final 53 because we signed Bennett and Kendricks.
    It wouldn't be a shock, but I don't expect it to happen. Rodgers might not be a typical #3 TE, there is no standout feature to him, but he is reliable in what he is capable of doing, even if limited. Peck or Sandland will have to show intriguing promise to knock Rodgers off the team. More than likely one of them will be kept on the practice squad instead.

A guy I think could be in trouble is Joe Thomas. Burnett and Jones could make him an afterthought as the smaller, faster mlb. Especially Jones; taller, much faster and not much lighter. Rumor is that Thomas is important to STs, but he seems like the type who is replaceable there, too. If Burnett and Jones pan out in their new roles, Thomas might not have much value on the team.

On that same token, Jake Ryan might be another. The days of the run plugging LB who can't cover are limited. TEs have killed the Packers for many years now. Martinez looked better when healthy and CM3 will be shifting to the middle sometimes to save his body.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    CM3 will be shifting to the middle sometimes to save his body.
    More likely because he's ineffective edge rushing.

But I guess he gets pretty banged up in the run game. Fackrel and Perry will have to be solid for Clay to be in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    On that same token, Jake Ryan might be another. The days of the run plugging LB who can't cover are limited. TEs have killed the Packers for many years now. Martinez looked better when healthy and CM3 will be shifting to the middle sometimes to save his body.
    Yeah, kinda curious how Ryan is ahead of Martinez myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    It wouldn't be a shock, but I don't expect it to happen. Rodgers might not be a typical #3 TE, there is no standout feature to him, but he is reliable in what he is capable of doing, even if limited. Peck or Sandland will have to show intriguing promise to knock Rodgers off the team. More than likely one of them will be kept on the practice squad instead.

A guy I think could be in trouble is Joe Thomas. Burnett and Jones could make him an afterthought as the smaller, faster mlb. Especially Jones; taller, much faster and not much lighter. Rumor is that Thomas is important to STs, but he seems like the type who is replaceable there, too. If Burnett and Jones pan out in their new roles, Thomas might not have much value on the team.
    With the Packer Bad Luck and injuries R. Rodgers may get a pass simply because one or the other of the of the higher regarded TE's (by Packer fans) suffers an unfortunate energy before the Season starts.

In any case he will not if cut be out of work too long. Some NFL Team will grab him in a New York Minute.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Blog Entries
    Hope I'm dead nuts wrong, but Cobb has lost alittle speed and shake ovr that last two seasons. He recently asked to return punts. That can be a red flag, the older guy trying to show skills from yester year in returns, that shit got . Cobb is b

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Hope I'm dead nuts wrong, but Cobb has lost alittle speed and shake ovr that last two seasons. He recently asked to return punts. That can be a red flag, the older guy trying to show skills from yester year in returns, that shit got . Cobb is b
    Cobb has always wanted to return punts. However, the fact that the coaching staff is apparently going to allow it suggests that he is not seen as an important a part of the offense as he was a couple of years ago. With Jordy being used in the slot more, Cobb's role in the offense does seem to be shrinking.

Cobb belongs on that list. What is he due to make? $12+ million? The Packers have a shitload of WRs playing as well or better and making a tiny fraction as much. I could see keeping 7 WRs and Cobb not being one of them.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Cobb belongs on that list. What is he due to make? $12+ million? The Packers have a shitload of WRs playing as well or better and making a tiny fraction as much. I could see keeping 7 WRs and Cobb not being one of them.
    I think the Packers have guys with potential, but they're untested. I think they keep Cobb for this year. If one of the young guys emerge though, I think Cobb is gone next year.

Cobb will make $12.75M in 2018 ($3.25M cap hit if cut)
    Matthews will make $11.4M in 2018 ($0 cap hit if cut).

I think you could see both of these guys gone in 2018 which would free up $20M. At the very least, the Packers should renegotiate their contracts.

Unless a young guy emerges, they don't have anywhere near the depth at OLB they would need to let Matthews go.

My guess is Cobb will be gone after this season.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Unless a young guy emerges, they don't have anywhere near the depth at OLB they would need to let Matthews go.
    If he doesn't stay healthy for more than 2 or 3 games, who cares? Cut his prissy ass.

Not sure how guys like Janis and Geno Smith make this list like this...Smith lost his starting job 2 seasons ago and Janis was never a starter. Sure, they're veterans, but of the pretty fungible variety so they getting cut isn't making any front pages. Writer didn't exactly go out on a limb here!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I see your point with Janis, but wasn't Vageno Smith a first round pick? That's pretty newsworthy since he's still a young guy.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I see your point with Janis, but wasn't Vageno Smith a first round pick? That's pretty newsworthy since he's still a young guy.
    He was pick number 39 in 2013, so early second round.

The more scarce the talent pool, the more interesting when a guy is cut or is available.

QB's will typically get most of the pub, but they also have far less position flexibility. If Janis gets cut, he is likely to get picked up because of his special teams skill. There could also be some teams that like his speed an quickness and might have some package of plays in mind for him to make him more of a weapon than the Packers are currently doing.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Cobb will make $12.75M in 2018 ($3.25M cap hit if cut)
    Matthews will make $11.4M in 2018 ($0 cap hit if cut).

I think you could see both of these guys gone in 2018 which would free up $20M. At the very least, the Packers should renegotiate their contracts.
    They both will get one more season.