Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Official Packers vs. Eagles Game Day Thread

I checked the TV schedule last night, trying to find when the Packer preseason game was this weekend. I'm not quite locked and loaded yet for Packer season.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I checked the TV schedule last night, trying to find when the Packer preseason game was this weekend. I'm not quite locked and loaded yet for Packer season.
    You should have signed up for the newsletter.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Hundley was playing against the 1s without Nelson. Callahan had the 2nd and third string in the second half.
    Philly dumped their first string after a series. Callahan auto parts was playing against Philly's fourth and fifth strings. I'm not really sure this is true - just my string theory.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

take it to FYI, you sneaky bastard
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    take it to FYI, you sneaky bastard
    Ahh, there are infractions on many sides. So many sides. Easy.

Ahh, there are infarctions on many sides. So many sides. Easy.
    FIFY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Well, I finally got to see the Eagles game.

Even though we won fairly easily against a not horrible team, I kinda have a vague feeling of disappointment. Sure, we dominated their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings with ours, our first string both O and D didn't look so hot. The O Line showed little ability to run block, and most of the passes were after our QB was forced out of the pocket. None of our RBs were impressive, but then they never had any openings. I don't think the Eagles D was stacked to stop the run either - why would they do that against the Packers.

Pretty much all of our WRs were impressive. I'm thinking now more than ever that Cobb's days could be numbered with the Packers. Allison also didn't look like much, and he has the suspension which may or may not mean an underlying character issue. You always have to consider who played against scrubs and who went against better players, but Yancy, Janis, Clark, maybe McCaffrey and Dupre all looked better than guys above them on the depth chart.

I was not overly impressed at first look with Kevin King. Rollins, for all the good words in practice, didn't look like much. Same with Hawkins. The Safetys on the other hand, looked excellent - Bryce and Evans in particular. It seemed like the Packers were emphasizing ILB blitzes and not much from the OLBs. It was frustrating, however, that so many times that the pass rush came close but didn't quite get there. I can't help thinking that Capers just ain't showing his best stuff ...... and we still held 'em to 9 points. Our D Line looked better than our D Line has looked for a few years anyway - first string on down, a lot of quality play.

Vogel looked great as a punter, but the kicking game, even though there were no misses, didn't very good - kicks that were good but kinda ugly.
    That's about what I saw, Tex.

It's a thin crew at RB for sure. An 'ol WR and a bunch of kids is about it. I might scan some rosters. Mebbe a team has a squeeze at RB.

House needs to heal up, we are also thin at CB. We might look at converting one of these young safeties. King is as green as goose shit.

Davante Adams is now a finished product. He ran a shake move in the first quarter that was a masterpiece. Janis actually ran a double move and got a TD. It was a clumsy, half-timed double move, but it beats those crazy flys he runs all the time. Keep improving JJ, you've still got a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post

It's a thin crew at RB for sure. An 'ol WR and a bunch of kids is about it. I might scan some rosters. Mebbe a team has a squeeze at RB.

House needs to heal up, we are also thin at CB. We might look at converting one of these young safeties. King is as green as goose shit.

Davante Adams is now a finished product. He ran a shake move in the first quarter that was a masterpiece. Janis actually ran a double move and got a TD. It was a clumsy, half-timed double move, but it beats those crazy flys he runs all the time. Keep improving JJ, you've still got a long way to go.
    Two routes is a 100% increase in his previous arsenal. With growth like that, he'll be All-Pro in Year 8. When he will have mastered four routes.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post

I'm fairly satisfied with our RBs. Montgomery was outstanding last year, and any shittiness by the rookies in this game I would attribute to the O Line - which I still think is sadly overrated. You virtually never see a pass play where our QB doesn't have to run to avoid the rush, and there's generally damn little quality run blocking either.

I like the idea of trying out a your Safety at Corner, but I have doubts it will be a miracle solution. I'd even try a WR or 2 or 3 at Corner - it couldn't hurt.

As for Janis and his moves, I can't help thinking the extremely limited variety of moves he uses is simply because he's running the plays as called, and they aren't asking him to do any more than that. They DAMN well better not cut him and have him resurface as a star WR for some other team.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

As for Janis and his moves, I can't help thinking the extremely limited variety of moves he uses is simply because he's running the plays as called, and they aren't asking him to do any more than that. They DAMN well better not cut him and have him resurface as a star WR for some other team.
    Tex, you are delusional. Do you really think that the staff that developed Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb and Davante Adams into stars wouldn't do the same with Janis if he were capable of it?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

They DAMN well better not cut him and have him resurface as a star WR for some other team.
    yeah! like all the other all-pros the packers have released.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Tex, you are delusional. Do you really think that the staff that developed Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb and Davante Adams into stars wouldn't do the same with Janis if he were capable of it?
    You forgot our best 7th round WR ever, Donald Driver!
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    You forgot our best 7th round WR ever, Donald Driver!
    I didn't actually forget. Driver was a star before this coaching staff was hired. No problem adding him to the list though. In a way, Driver was the anti-Janis. Not very big. Not real fast. Just a guy who ran great routes, had great hands, and was tougher than a 2 dollar steak.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I didn't actually forget. Driver was a star before this coaching staff was hired. No problem adding him to the list though. In a way, Driver was the anti-Janis. Not very big. Not real fast. Just a guy who ran great routes, had great hands, and was tougher than a 2 dollar steak.
    You forgot that Donald can really dance.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Blog Entries
    I'm fairly satisfied with our RBs. Montgomery was outstanding last year, and any shittiness by the rookies in this game I would attribute to the O Line - which I still think is sadly overrated. You virtually never see a pass play where our QB doesn't have to run to avoid the rush, and there's generally damn little quality run blocking either.

the idea of trying out a your Safety at Corner, but I have doubts it will be a miracle solution. I'd even try a WR or 2 or 3 at Corner - it couldn't hurt.

Must be that hot Texas air. Yer comfy with our backs? That's bad bc we don't have any.

Janis has few routes bc he is a super slow learner. He is picking things up, as evidenced by the nice (but raggedy) sluggo he ran on that Philly dback for a six. He's picking things up. he ain't gonna get cut. He's our fourth (mebbe fifth) WR + Zook would kill anyone who wanted him cut off ST.

lol
    C.H.U.D.

Maybe he wasn't sprinter fast, but he could jump four feet into the air. The Driver Steak needed some seasoning to be sure. He didn't really emerge until his fourth year in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Maybe he wasn't sprinter fast, but he could jump four feet into the air. The Driver Steak needed some seasoning to be sure. He didn't really emerge until his fourth year in 2002.
    Driver was actually pretty fast coming into the league (on top of being a world class high jumper). Driver's reported 40 time was slightly slower than Jeff's 40 time (4.45 to 4.42).
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Driver was actually pretty fast coming into the league (on top of being a world class high jumper). Driver's reported 40 time was slightly slower than Jeff's 40 time (4.45 to 4.42).
    right. Driver was plenty fast. It may just be the fog of time, but I recall Driver sticking his nose in there and running the tough routes, the crossing routes, the inside curls and digs, finding gaps in the zone in the middle - routes where you get blown up a lot - not the easy sideline go routes.

I am going to wait until he learns his third route before comparing him to Driver.