Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott suspended six games by NFL

You just have to love 'The LAW'; 'of course these days', it leaves behind:

A whole load of Hot Shit !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Judge has granted the NFL's emergency stay request, so the injunction lifting Elliot's suspension is back on temporarily.

But this stay only runs until the appeal of the original injunction against the suspension can be heard.

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefte...20482338004401
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ary-injunction

NFL files appeal of Elliott's preliminary injunction

By Kevin Patra ... Around the NFL writer

Published: Sept. 11, 2017 at 10:22 a.m. Updated: Sept. 11, 2017 at 11:32 a.m.

" NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Monday that the NFL filed its appeal of Elliott's preliminary injunction to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, per court documents.

The move was expected after U.S. District Court Judge Amos Mazzant III granted the NFL Players Association's preliminary injunction request on behalf of Elliott on Friday, putting the six-game suspension of Dallas Cowboys running back on hold."

Please click on the above LINK for more...
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    We already know how this ends don't we? The only dispute is about whether Goodell can do whatever he wants which is a question that was already answered for Tom Brady. Yes he can. The CBA says so.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Federal judge has refused to issue emergency stay of injunction in Elliott case. This likely clears Elliott to play rest of season.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Federal judge has refused to issue emergency stay of injunction in Elliott case. This likely clears Elliott to play rest of season.

I've got your back Ezekiel....Thanks Jerry !

So.... back to the matter of playing football and Ezekiel Elliott. How is that going down?:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...is-team-sunday

Tomlinson: Ezekiel Elliott 'quit' on his team Sunday

By: Around The NFL staff NFL.com .....Published: Sept. 18, 2017 at 01:27 p.m.

Isn't this covered in the CBA? Didn't the players union agree to this structure of suspensions?

I understand what the players are trying to do: use the legal system to circumvent the CBA, thereby gaining legal protection for a position without negotiating for it and giving something up in return.

But why are the courts entertaining these cases considering they're covered in the agreement? That's the part I don't understand.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    But why are the courts entertaining these cases considering they're covered in the agreement? That's the part I don't understand.
    society has changed
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

By this logic, we don't need courts because the laws are written down and we all have a copy.

The bar is higher after Brady, but there are still open issues.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Isn't this covered in the CBA? Didn't the players union agree to this structure of suspensions?

I understand what the players are trying to do: use the legal system to circumvent the CBA, thereby gaining legal protection for a position without negotiating for it and giving something up in return.

In his decision to grant a preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order, Mazzant agreed with the NFLPA that Elliott didn't receive a fair suspension appeal hearing from Goodell-appointed arbitrator Harold Henderson.

The NFL argues Mazzant's ruling interferes with a legally-binding labor deal that has been approved by the league and the union. It's the same argument the NFL deployed in ultimately successful appeals against Tom Brady during Deflategate and Adrian Peterson after he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor reckless assault.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...r-court-ruling

A federal appeals court overturned a district court's decision in the Ezekiel Elliott case Thursday, meaning the Dallas Cowboys running back's six-game suspension has been reinstated.

The 5th Circuit ruled 2-1 in favor of the NFL that the district court did not have subject matter jurisdiction in Elliott case after hearing oral arguments from the league and NFL Players Association lawyers earlier this month. It vacates the preliminary injunction and directs an order to the lower court to dismiss the case.
    Elliott's lawyer, Frank Salzano, released the following statement to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport regarding Thursday's ruling:

"We are currently exploring all of our legal options and will make a decision as to what is the best course of action in the next few days. Until that time we have no further comment on the 5th circuit's decision."

The NFLPA is expected to re-file the case with the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and seek a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction in order to keep Elliott playing, according to Gabe Feldman, director of the Tulane Sports Law Program. The Cowboys have a bye this week and there's a chance Elliott might not miss a single game if the NFLPA refiles the case and is granted a TRO or preliminary injunction.

Elliott and the NFLPA have other legal options as well. They could seek an en banc hearing with the 5th Circuit or refile the case in Texas, according to Feldman.

"So the Players Association could ask the district court in New York or perhaps some other court to reinstate the preliminary injunction, which would put that suspension back on hold," Feldman said on NFL Network's TNF First Look. "So this is not over yet, particularly with the bye week, that Elliott will not serve the suspension.

"Again it's an uphill battle but it's possible to get that ruling in eight days," Feldman said. "Just because they get a ruling though doesn't mean it's a favorable ruling, but it's certainly in the realm of possibility."

This makes the Ideal Gas Law look simple.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Society has changed.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

nice week for the boys. last second loss, a defensive starter retiring, cut a db who they signed this spring and gave a $3m guarantee, and the impending 6 game suspension for zeke. lol

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I had Indian takeout last night and can tell you that it is utterly irrelevant whether it is simple or complex, because it's the Law!

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    nice week for the boys. last second loss, a defensive starter retiring, cut a db who they signed this spring and gave a $3m guarantee, and the impending 6 game suspension for zeke. lol
    The Elliot suspension may work against the GBP because it means the Eagles are now a favorite to sweep their division. If they do that they will be a good bet to finish 13-3 or better. The only games where they won't be heavy favorites, aside from @Dall, will be Denver, @Rams and @Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I had Indian takeout last night and can tell you that it is utterly irrelevant whether it is simple or complex, because it's the Law!
    The law is irrelevant when the cooks have all the power.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    The Elliot suspension may work against the GBP because it means the Eagles are now a favorite to sweep their division. If they do that they will be a good bet to finish 13-3 or better. The only games where they won't be heavy favorites, aside from @Dall, will be Denver, @Rams and @Sea.
    It's a long season. and they are still the Eagles. keep hope alive.

I'm surprised you seemingly dismiss the Redskins. They beat the Rams, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It's a long season. and they are still the Eagles. keep hope alive.

I'm surprised you seemingly dismiss the Redskins. They beat the Rams, after all.
    At Philly the Skins will be obvious dogs. I suspect Atlanta is ultimately more of a threat than Philly because of matchups. But would still prefer to see the NFCCC in Lambeau.