Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PACKERS STILL HOPING SPRIGGS TRADE/DRAFT PICK WILL PAN OUT

Blog Entries

PACKERS STILL HOPING SPRIGGS TRADE/DRAFT PICK WILL PAN OUT

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Overall that is looking like a pretty bad draft.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...cks-and-trades

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Overall that is looking like a pretty bad draft.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...cks-and-trades

Still early but yea missing on the 2nd and 3rd pick stings especially after trading up for Spriggs. At least it seems like we hit on two D linemen and Martinez still looking decent.

Has Kenny Clark really been a good player so far? I guess I viewed him as still TBD. I haven't been following the Packers super closely though.

Has Kenny Clark really been a good player so far? I guess I viewed him as still TBD. I haven't been following the Packers super closely though.
    yeah. i think the coaches love the guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post

Still early but yea missing on the 2nd and 3rd pick stings especially after trading up for Spriggs. At least it seems like we hit on two D linemen and Martinez still looking decent.
    this. another year or two will tell.

Pretty bold declaring it a bad draft then.

In my opinion, Clark was worthy of a D1. He shows up against first string O-Lineman and consistently gets push.
    Spriggs is already twice as good as Barclay every was pass protecting. I only got to watch the first half on game pass before falling asleep last night. One of his sacks was technique error, one depends on who missed the assignment (Spriggs, Hundley, etc). So I don't see him as bad as Sherrod or Barclay on the edge. So far, he seems to fit the bill as a second round draft pick--he still has work to do, but it's clear he has ability
    Fackrell seems like a complete whiff. But a draft is only about 50/50 overall for any contribution.
    Martinez isn't anything special, but he seems to belong in the NFL.
    Lowry is definitely starter material. GB seems to do well finding lineman in the 4th.
    Davis has speed and talent, both enough for the NFL, but he's just inconsistent enough. Needs to get over that hump. Could be this year. But WRs in McCarthy's system can take 3-4 years unless they're shifty slot receivers like Greg Jennings or Cobb.
    Murphy sounds like a player by all accounts. He's apparently playing second string at RT, but I don't notice him during games. Sounds like he's consistent. And writers are suggested he try to back up the LT, so he's definitely doing well. Pretty good for a D6.

So with 4 definite hits (Clark, Martinez, Lowry, and Murphy) out of 7 (8 if you count Spriggs as 2), they're at the norm of 50% now. If Spriggs or Davis turn out, it's an above average draft. If Clark becomes really good (supposedly D-Line is supposed to take longer than this to develop), it's a great draft.

So far, it appears Clark and Lowry are the only ones with a shot to rise above and maybe become pro-bowl capable (Clark more than Lowry). So not a Rodgers/Collins draft, but not bad either.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I'll call him the next looks like tarzan plays like jane. Sherrod was a better tackle imo, and Murphy has outplayed him in the 2 preseason games (all I can go on).
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I'll call him the next looks like tarzan plays like jane. Sherrod was a better tackle imo, and Murphy has outplayed him in the 2 preseason games (all I can go on).
    Damn forgot all about Sherrod...what a complete waste

I don't think Spriggs is a bad backup, but it does suck we had to use 2 picks to get him. I don't think he'll become a starter for us.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I don't think Spriggs is a bad backup, but it does suck we had to use 2 picks to get him. I don't think he'll become a starter for us.
    There is still time. Cliffy was ready Week 1, but Tauscher started because of an Earl Dotson injury (back).

Bach took his lumps the first two years. At times beat by both speed and power. Spriggs needs to solve one first then get better at other. I don't think he should ever be beaten by speed with his physical abilities. That is where I would start.

Once you throw up that wall, then work on counters.

Baranczyk thought his hands were unsettled, but I though he was too high on the corner and lost leverage.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There is still time. Cliffy was ready Week 1, but Tauscher started because of an Earl Dotson injury (back).

Bach took his lumps the first two years. At times beat by both speed and power. Spriggs needs to solve one first then get better at other. I don't think he should ever be beaten by speed with his physical abilities. That is where I would start.

Once you throw up that wall, then work on counters.

Baranczyk thought his hands were unsettled, but I though he was too high on the corner and lost leverage.
    I agree, his hands are OK. Every young player needs a better punch. Hell, Bakh has a crappy punch but makes up for it with tenacity and positioning. Thing is its a dance and you have to be in sync. If your hands are in position and your body isn't you end up holding. Its why I thought sherrod had a shot. His feet were so good for a mountain that he got in front of guys. Spriggs is the opposite, so athletic and long, but doesn't get in front of guys....wtf.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

He's looked like a beast this preseason. Shit, I didn't see either game, and even I know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Damn forgot all about Sherrod...what a complete waste
    Surprised to see Sherrod mentioned in this thread. He never really played much, and the leg injury and ensuing SNAFU pretty much robbed him of any opportunity to play.

More of a Terrence Murphy 'not enough information' IMO
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Put Spriggs on the Christian Ringo diet; Better yet, give Ringo a shot at O Tackle.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries

I was not that excited about Kenny Clark; but I was wrong
    The dude balls out. I think worst case is he's a very good DL
    I can see Pro Bowl for him down the road. He makes plays
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Article on Spriggs" struggles with a couple videos. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...jason-spriggs/

On one, hands look way too high, up on the helmet. On the other, looks like he's anticipating outside rush and can't recover inside.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Kenny Clark is getting it. I think he'll be our dest DL guy by end of the year, followed by Lowry. I love Daniels, don't get me wrong...and he goes to my church so don't tell him, but his bark is WAY bigger than his bite.

I don't know what the Packers want of Spriggs. It seemed natural to move either him or Bulaga to RG. Spriggs is too tall and plays too tall to play guard, but I thought he played well last year. Put some weight on him, and I think he'd be fine. Or you put Bulaga in there. I know he complained, but if you tell him, he then has a choice to make since he's under contract. I like Bulaga also, but I've always thought he'd be a dominate guard, much like Mike Wahle. But what do the Packers want of Spriggs? Bak is now your LT forever. Bulaga evidently is your RT, right? So what do you want of Spriggs? you moved up to get him. Is all you want form him to is to develop and then you trade him? seems dumb.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Article on Spriggs" struggles with a couple videos. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...jason-spriggs/

On one, hands look way too high, up on the helmet. On the other, looks like he's anticipating outside rush and can't recover inside.
    I think one problem is informing the other. Hands are an issue.

But mainly, he's gotta get some bend and explosion.

#PadLevel
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post

I don't know what the Packers want of Spriggs.
    Backup both tackles, eventually take over for Bulaga.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck