Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PACKERS STILL HOPING SPRIGGS TRADE/DRAFT PICK WILL PAN OUT

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Backup both tackles, eventually take over for Bulaga.
    Both their contracts end the same year. So you're hoping that 1. Spriggs will for sure develop into a starter by then? (which i think he already is, but case in point) 2. He would resign after not getting a chance until 2020? So then during 2019, you offer him a starters contract without ever truly (possibly) never starting? And then you still have Bulaga on the team, so he'll become a cancer?

Doesn't seem well planned. I really think they didn't expect Bak to develop, or Bak to resign...and then he did.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I'd bet my left nut Bulaga doesn't stay healthy through 2019
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I wish Spriggs was showing the steady improvement fans and coaches love to see, if not the great leap forward, but it's also far, far too soon to call the guy a bust.

Different position, but as I recall Mike Wahle was quite unpolished early on. And Earl Dotson had terrible false-start issues for the longest time.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There is still time. Cliffy was ready Week 1, but Tauscher started because of an Earl Dotson injury (back).

Bach took his lumps the first two years. At times beat by both speed and power. Spriggs needs to solve one first then get better at other. I don't think he should ever be beaten by speed with his physical abilities. That is where I would start.

Once you throw up that wall, then work on counters.

Baranczyk thought his hands were unsettled, but I though he was too high on the corner and lost leverage.
    Spriggs is still young and only going into his second season. Bak wasn't a world beater at this point in his career either. Spriggs showed promise last season so I think it is rather premature to give up on him after 2 preseason games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post
    Both their contracts end the same year. So you're hoping that 1. Spriggs will for sure develop into a starter by then? (which i think he already is, but case in point) 2. He would resign after not getting a chance until 2020? So then during 2019, you offer him a starters contract without ever truly (possibly) never starting? And then you still have Bulaga on the team, so he'll become a cancer?

Doesn't seem well planned. I really think they didn't expect Bak to develop, or Bak to resign...and then he did.
    They needed backup tackles after the Tretter/Barclay/Sitton experiment. And yes, they were not sure Bach was going to re-up with them. I am pretty sure they were enamored with Bach before the draft that year.

Also Bulaga's legs weren't getting any younger.

Definite need pick.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

What gets me - a little bit anyway - is that the Packers seem to favor smallish possibly mobile tackles instead of big ol' road graders. When I saw that 6'6 335 guy from the Redskins go off the field last week, I was reminded of that again. I wish we'd go with that sort of player. Spriggs supposedly gained weight/muscle, but he doesn't look bigger, and his play kinda shoots down the muscle idea.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

They needed backup tackles after the Tretter/Barclay/Sitton experiment. And yes, they were not sure Bach was going to re-up with them. I am pretty sure they were enamored with Bach before the draft that year.

Also Bulaga's legs weren't getting any younger.

Definite need pick.
    Completely agree. I know I came off wrong, I like Spriggs,and I liked the pick because it was a need. I'm just worried they could end up losing Spriggs and Bulaga, and then in 2020, we are drafting round 1 tackle to plug in as a starter.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Spriggs is still young and only going into his second season. Bak wasn't a world beater at this point in his career either. Spriggs showed promise last season so I think it is rather premature to give up on him after 2 preseason games this year.
    I've been a bakh detractor, but his tenacity is right there with Lang. Similar players. You need that streak of asshole to be a great DL (or you have to be a physical freak). Spriggs lacks that nastiness. He isn't the mountain sherrod was. He doesn't have Cliftons punch. Maybe he works hard and maiximizes his skills, but that will leave him an average RT is my guess.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post
    I'm just worried they could end up losing Spriggs and Bulaga, and then in 2020, we are drafting round 1 tackle to plug in as a starter.
    This could happen, worst case scenario. They'll have enough time to draft another LT next two years if they think Spriggs ain't got it and Bulaga looks beat up.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    What gets me - a little bit anyway - is that the Packers seem to favor smallish possibly mobile tackles instead of big ol' road graders.
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    When I saw that 6'6 335 guy from the Redskins go off the field last week
    Hmmmm....makes u think.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I'd bet my left nut Bulaga doesn't stay healthy through 2019
    I'm pretty sure ol lefty will be safe. I doubt he stays healthy through this season. Plus he doesn't seem to do real well playing injured.

Way to jinx it:

Packer Report
    Bulaga limping off during run-game drill vs. defense. Obviously not a good thing.

Way to jinx it:

Packer Report
    Bulaga limping off during run-game drill vs. defense. Obviously not a good thing.
    It sucks, but shocked I'm not. However limping off the field isn't a for sure that it's going to be anything major. I figure if he has a major injury it will be later in the season and he won't be available for the playoffs.

Way to jinx it:

Packer Report
    Sometimes my powers frighten me.

At least he was kind enough to give them a warning this year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

And it's Murphy up, not Spriggs.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    And it's Murphy up, not Spriggs.
    They both did, but Murphy was first. But that makes sense, Murphy has been the backup RT all camp.

heard mm speak of spriggs recently and acts like he's not concerned at all.

They both did, but Murphy was first. But that makes sense, Murphy has been the backup RT all camp.
    It doesn't make sense based on forum consensus last year. Spriggs was supposed to be the heir apparent to the mediocre Bahktiari. Then people spoke of all the wasted talent just sitting on the bench after Bahk was resigned. General opinion was the uber talented Spriggs would be first off the bench for either tackle position.

Not only was Bahk way better than Packer fan gave him credit but Spriggs has been way worse. And to top it off, Murphy has out performed Spriggs.

So yeah, it makes sense to those of us who've seen the fall of Spriggs happening, but to some, this is a surprise. He's a 2nd round pick being out played by a 6th.

I hope Spriggs gets it together and becomes a serviceable backup at both spots..... but I'm not holding my breath. TT needs to keep looking for a good backup LT next off season. Spriggs isn't good enough and needs to either step up or be pushed out.

Way to jinx it:

Packer Report
    Y'know, PB, you really make it hard for a guy to have a thoughtless, knee-jerk reaction, what with all your factual information.

KYPack