Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PACKERS STILL HOPING SPRIGGS TRADE/DRAFT PICK WILL PAN OUT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post

I don't know what the Packers want of Spriggs.
    Backup both tackles, eventually take over for Bulaga.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Backup both tackles, eventually take over for Bulaga.
    Both their contracts end the same year. So you're hoping that 1. Spriggs will for sure develop into a starter by then? (which i think he already is, but case in point) 2. He would resign after not getting a chance until 2020? So then during 2019, you offer him a starters contract without ever truly (possibly) never starting? And then you still have Bulaga on the team, so he'll become a cancer?

Doesn't seem well planned. I really think they didn't expect Bak to develop, or Bak to resign...and then he did.
    "I would love to have a guy that always gets the key hit, a pitcher that always makes his best pitch and a manager that can always make the right decision. The problem is getting him to put down his beer and come out of the stands and do those things." - Danny Murraugh

Quote Originally Posted by ND72 View Post
    Both their contracts end the same year. So you're hoping that 1. Spriggs will for sure develop into a starter by then? (which i think he already is, but case in point) 2. He would resign after not getting a chance until 2020? So then during 2019, you offer him a starters contract without ever truly (possibly) never starting? And then you still have Bulaga on the team, so he'll become a cancer?

Doesn't seem well planned. I really think they didn't expect Bak to develop, or Bak to resign...and then he did.
    They needed backup tackles after the Tretter/Barclay/Sitton experiment. And yes, they were not sure Bach was going to re-up with them. I am pretty sure they were enamored with Bach before the draft that year.

Also Bulaga's legs weren't getting any younger.

Definite need pick.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Article on Spriggs" struggles with a couple videos. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...jason-spriggs/

On one, hands look way too high, up on the helmet. On the other, looks like he's anticipating outside rush and can't recover inside.
    I think one problem is informing the other. Hands are an issue.

But mainly, he's gotta get some bend and explosion.

#PadLevel
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'd bet my left nut Bulaga doesn't stay healthy through 2019
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I'd bet my left nut Bulaga doesn't stay healthy through 2019
    I'm pretty sure ol lefty will be safe. I doubt he stays healthy through this season. Plus he doesn't seem to do real well playing injured.

I wish Spriggs was showing the steady improvement fans and coaches love to see, if not the great leap forward, but it's also far, far too soon to call the guy a bust.

Different position, but as I recall Mike Wahle was quite unpolished early on. And Earl Dotson had terrible false-start issues for the longest time.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

What gets me - a little bit anyway - is that the Packers seem to favor smallish possibly mobile tackles instead of big ol' road graders. When I saw that 6'6 335 guy from the Redskins go off the field last week, I was reminded of that again. I wish we'd go with that sort of player. Spriggs supposedly gained weight/muscle, but he doesn't look bigger, and his play kinda shoots down the muscle idea.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    What gets me - a little bit anyway - is that the Packers seem to favor smallish possibly mobile tackles instead of big ol' road graders.
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    When I saw that 6'6 335 guy from the Redskins go off the field last week
    Hmmmm....makes u think.

Way to jinx it:

Packer Report
    Bulaga limping off during run-game drill vs. defense. Obviously not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Way to jinx it:

Packer Report
    Bulaga limping off during run-game drill vs. defense. Obviously not a good thing.
    It sucks, but shocked I'm not. However limping off the field isn't a for sure that it's going to be anything major. I figure if he has a major injury it will be later in the season and he won't be available for the playoffs.

Way to jinx it:

Packer Report
    Sometimes my powers frighten me.

Way to jinx it:

Packer Report
    Y'know, PB, you really make it hard for a guy to have a thoughtless, knee-jerk reaction, what with all your factual information.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

At least he was kind enough to give them a warning this year.

And it's Murphy up, not Spriggs.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    And it's Murphy up, not Spriggs.
    They both did, but Murphy was first. But that makes sense, Murphy has been the backup RT all camp.

They both did, but Murphy was first. But that makes sense, Murphy has been the backup RT all camp.
    It doesn't make sense based on forum consensus last year. Spriggs was supposed to be the heir apparent to the mediocre Bahktiari. Then people spoke of all the wasted talent just sitting on the bench after Bahk was resigned. General opinion was the uber talented Spriggs would be first off the bench for either tackle position.

Not only was Bahk way better than Packer fan gave him credit but Spriggs has been way worse. And to top it off, Murphy has out performed Spriggs.

So yeah, it makes sense to those of us who've seen the fall of Spriggs happening, but to some, this is a surprise. He's a 2nd round pick being out played by a 6th.

I hope Spriggs gets it together and becomes a serviceable backup at both spots..... but I'm not holding my breath. TT needs to keep looking for a good backup LT next off season. Spriggs isn't good enough and needs to either step up or be pushed out.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    It doesn't make sense based on forum consensus last year. Spriggs was supposed to be the heir apparent to the mediocre Bahktiari. Then people spoke of all the wasted talent just sitting on the bench after Bahk was resigned. General opinion was the uber talented Spriggs would be first off the bench for either tackle position.

Not only was Bahk way better than Packer fan gave him credit but Spriggs has been way worse. And to top it off, Murphy has out performed Spriggs.

So yeah, it makes sense to those of us who've seen the fall of Spriggs happening, but to some, this is a surprise. He's a 2nd round pick being out played by a 6th.

I hope Spriggs gets it together and becomes a serviceable backup at both spots..... but I'm not holding my breath. TT needs to keep looking for a good backup LT next off season. Spriggs isn't good enough and needs to either step up or be pushed out.
    Spriggs was the primary backup for three positions last year and played at 2 of them I believe, in games. Meanwhile, Murphy was inactive most of the season. So unless you think McCarthy is in the habit of putting names and draft position on the game day active list instead of people who can help win, I do not understand your point.

No one thought talent was wasted on the bench. They were in desperate need of developmental talent at Tackle and both Spriggs and Murphy provided that last year.

Murphy is just having a better second camp now.

Perhaps they consider Spriggs Bak's backup?

heard mm speak of spriggs recently and acts like he's not concerned at all.