Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PACKERS STILL HOPING SPRIGGS TRADE/DRAFT PICK WILL PAN OUT

People are making far too much out of who went in before whom for half of a practice at the mid point of training camp. It means very little. There can be many reasons, such as, for example:

- They truly think Murphy is ahead of Spriggs at this point.
    - They think the two are about equal, so want one to focus on RT, the other at LT.
    - They saw Spriggs a lot with the #1s last year at several different positions. Murphy was inactive for 15 games and played just 8 snaps. They wanted to see him in the environment.
    - Their backup guards have struggled, so they want "left side" and "right side" backups in Spriggs and Murphy. They hope this will be Murphy's side.
    - Neither seems to handle side to side switches well, so this will be Murphy's side.
    - Spriggs doesn't handle the right side well, so they hope Murphy can.
    - They don't think Murphy is a left tackle, so if he has value as a tackle it is only on the right.
    - Murphy was standing next to Campen, and Campen said, "Go give it a shot with the 1's."
    - They intended to try both with the 1's and just happened to go with Murphy first.
    - Spriggs was tieing his shoe.
    - Campen couldn't remember his name.

Both seem certain to make the roster, so preseason will be a lot about seeing what they can do.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    People are making far too much out of who went in before whom for half of a practice at the mid point of training camp. It means very little. There can be many reasons, such as, for example:

- They think the two are about equal, so want one to focus on RT, the other at LT.
    - They saw Spriggs a lot with the #1s last year at several different positions. Murphy was inactive for 15 games and played just 8 snaps. They wanted to see him in the environment.
    - Their backup guards have struggled, so they want "left side" and "right side" backups in Spriggs and Murphy. They hope this will be Murphy's side.
    - Neither seems to handle side to side switches well, so this will be Murphy's side.
    - They don't think Murphy is a left tackle, so if he has value as a tackle it is only on the right.
    - Murphy was standing next to Campen, and Campen said, "Go give it a shot with the 1's."
    - They intended to try both with the 1's and just happened to go with Murphy first.

Both seem certain to make the roster, so preseason will be a lot about seeing what they can do.
    Good post. I agree with all of this except 'tieing'
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I agree with all of this except 'tieing'

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

Like PB, you make it difficult for me to enjoy my thoughtless, panicked, knee-jerk reactions. What else is one to do during this difficult stretch of training camp? How am I to get into mid-season form if I don't get enough panic reps in now?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    It doesn't make sense based on forum consensus last year. Spriggs was supposed to be the heir apparent to the mediocre Bahktiari. Then people spoke of all the wasted talent just sitting on the bench after Bahk was resigned. General opinion was the uber talented Spriggs would be first off the bench for either tackle position.

Not only was Bahk way better than Packer fan gave him credit but Spriggs has been way worse. And to top it off, Murphy has out performed Spriggs.

So yeah, it makes sense to those of us who've seen the fall of Spriggs happening, but to some, this is a surprise. He's a 2nd round pick being out played by a 6th.

I hope Spriggs gets it together and becomes a serviceable backup at both spots..... but I'm not holding my breath. TT needs to keep looking for a good backup LT next off season. Spriggs isn't good enough and needs to either step up or be pushed out.
    Spriggs was the primary backup for three positions last year and played at 2 of them I believe, in games. Meanwhile, Murphy was inactive most of the season. So unless you think McCarthy is in the habit of putting names and draft position on the game day active list instead of people who can help win, I do not understand your point.

No one thought talent was wasted on the bench. They were in desperate need of developmental talent at Tackle and both Spriggs and Murphy provided that last year.

Murphy is just having a better second camp now.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Murphy had spent time with the #1 group in camp when they rested Bulaga as well.

Be interesting to see the first Game Day active list. If 7 lineman are active, likely that only one of Spriggs/Murphy are active with a Guard unless they activate 8.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Murphy had spent time with the #1 group in camp when they rested Bulaga as well.

Be interesting to see the first Game Day active list. If 7 lineman are active, likely that only one of Spriggs/Murphy are active with a Guard unless they activate 8.
    If Spriggs is inactive, who is their backup LT? Slide Bulaga and plug Murphy in at RT?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Like PB, you make it difficult for me to enjoy my thoughtless, panicked, knee-jerk reactions. What else is one to do during this difficult stretch of training camp? How am I to get into mid-season form if I don't get enough panic reps in now?
    Forget the panic, just get blindingly angry at TT for screwing everything up. BP is the same but you feel more righteously powerful than pathetically powerless. Just ask Rutnstrut.

Forget the panic, just get blindingly angry at TT for screwing everything up. BP is the same but you feel more righteously powerful than pathetically powerless. Just ask Rutnstrut.
    Hey I was being upbeat and optimistic on the Bulaga injury. I can't help it that since Red left I have be the only realist on a board full of kool-aid oholics.

How many years, make that how many decades of the Kool-Aid being justified by the record does it take to be convincing? There's a LOT I tend to dislike about Thompson and McCarthy, but the team just keeps rolling on - thank you Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, so they can't be all that bad.

Most self-proclaimed "realists" in general could better be called "negativists". Never was that more true than about the Packers.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I'm surprised at how bad Spriggs has been this year... I thought his main problem was strength - and that would be corrected with an entire year in an NFL conditioning and strength program - but, alas, no.

He looked completely overmatched in the game last weekend. He was getting ragdolled and pushed around on almost every play... for whatever reason, he seems not to have the ability to get stronger.
    wist

I'm surprised at how bad Spriggs has been this year... I thought his main problem was strength - and that would be corrected with an entire year in an NFL conditioning and strength program - but, alas, no.

He looked completely overmatched in the game last weekend. He was getting ragdolled and pushed around on almost every play... for whatever reason, he seems not to have the ability to get stronger.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post

He's not getting rag dolled, he is getting WAY out of position and reaching. He is Schroedinger's Tackle, doesn't know whether to punch or move.

One of those earlier replays someone linked to he took the flattest set I have ever seen on a non screen pass and STILL got too deep to cut off the inside move. Part of that was the Guard was way inside so there was a huge gap to truck through, but he has to get coordinated between hands and feet and decide where he is going to make his stand.

His drop steps and his feet looked OK, but his target depth/spot was terrible given the rest of the line and/or the play call. My guess is that this is the terrible awkward phase of trying to adapt his style to the Packers coaching emphasis. And he is doing neither right. Going to take some time the clear his head and stop thinking about it, just reacting to player.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They both did, but Murphy was first. But that makes sense, Murphy has been the backup RT all camp.
    Perhaps they consider Spriggs Bak's backup?

If Spriggs is still struggling next August 25th, then we can all panic.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If Spriggs is still struggling next August 25th, then we can all panic.
    I don't know. Player years are now like dog years. Every season they have to contribute and potentially start. In just a couple years, Ted will be admiring the butts of younger offensive linemen.

Wow, what an awful game for Spriggs.

Blog Entries
    he looks worse than Sherrod; we used our 2nd and 4th to get him last yr to boot
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    he looks worse than Sherrod; we used our 2nd and 4th to get him last yr to boot
    He did. Sherrod never struggled in pass pro like this.

He looks very much like Colledge.

Red might be right, his future might have to be at Guard.

Good post. I agree with all of this except 'tieing'
    spelling aside, it would be more plausible if we still had EDS on the team.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.