Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: PACKERS STILL HOPING SPRIGGS TRADE/DRAFT PICK WILL PAN OUT

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He did. Sherrod never struggled in pass pro like this.

He looks very much like Colledge.

Red might be right, his future might have to be at Guard.
    He would really need to beef up to play guard where you face stout bulldozers all the time.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Yeah he's 6'6" and maybe 300, no way he is a guard. He'd need to put on 40 lbs to be a guard at that height!

Man him and Fackell don't belong on the 53 but you can't cut them due to potential ��

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Man him and Fackell don't belong on the 53 but you can't cut them due to potential ��
    And due to lack of depth. Especially at OLB. Biegel hasn't practiced and Elliott has back spasms. Gilbert actually played pretty decent tonight. He may be the top backup right now.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

So disappointed to hear Spriggs is as bad as he his. I loved the pick, he was one of the players I thought the Packers could draft. This should have been a breakout year for him. I thought the future , possibly this year but more likely next year would have Spriggs at RT and move Buluga to Guard. Losing Lang hurts even more now.

I was almost as disappointed in Fackrell as SPRIGGS™.

Spriggs still has time, but it doesn't look like an easy path.

My official dilettante explanation after watching him for the rest of the game is that he is waiting for the upfield move. Sitting on it like a hitter sitting on a fastball at 3-0. He got burned by speed last year around the edge when he filled in for Bach and he has overcompensated this year by about 175%.

So when the inside move comes, he waits it out, like he is expecting it to be a feint or stunt. And he doesn't punch or grab until well too late.

He was MUCH more feisty and grabby as a Guard last year, even limited in anchor and height as he is. He needs to go back to that. The guys he lost inside were basically free rushers.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If Spriggs is still struggling next August 25th, then we can all panic.
    Really. Was Bak wonderful in his second preseason?

You don't want to give up on such a high pick, but he looked worse than horrible... no way can he be trusted in a regular season game.
    wist

Here is what I think has played out for SPRIGGS™ in this camp, written up with two examples by PackersWire at USAToday by Zach Kruse

– What a roller coaster opening series it was for Jason Spriggs. On a 3rd-and-3 play, he blocked Von Miller one-on-one forever. Miller exploded off the ball but Spriggs countered and held his ground, and his quick feet allowed him to handle a secondary spin move. Just three plays later, all that goodwill evaporated. Miller hit him with a quick, devastating spin move and easily sacked Rodgers, who went down to avoid a big hit. Spriggs had no chance.
    You rush upfield against SPRIGGS™, he expects it (got burned by it last season) and goes right with you, ties you up. You counter that move (important: you counter that move AFTER you go upfield) he expects it and is OK.

You feint upfield, he is leaning that way (he's kinda top heavy and perhaps does have a problem with pad level) and wants to defend that first. He is literally waiting for that wide rush. You, the EDGE dude, then cutback or spin inside before stepping upfield. SPRIGGS™ has left a gap AND is waiting so hard for upfield movement he doesn't reset his feet or punch to get contact with you. It looks like he is chasing a dog around the yard.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...nt-vs-broncos/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    SPRIGGS™
    I like it, you are going to make millions.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...nst-broncos/2/

Michael Cohen from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel brought up an interesting point on the Packers podcast. He said he spoke with a few defensive lineman who’ve faced Spriggs and Murphy in practice. According to the Packers defensive line, Murphy plays offensive tackle by-the-book, meaning he utilizes proper technique to get his drops and maintains solid form throughout, including hand placement. Spriggs, on the other hand, tends to play “games,” suggesting he will try to fool defenders into what they are getting so that he can trap them into a particular pass rush move. It’s a long shot, but it could be that Spriggs is getting too cute with his technique.

Could also suggest that he's lazy and unwilling to work on technique. Could also just be that he's young and hasn't realized he NEEDS that technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Could also suggest that he's lazy and unwilling to work on technique. Could also just be that he's young and hasn't realized he NEEDS that technique.
    Could also be that he's using the preseason to experiment with some things. Whatever the case, he needs to get himself ready for the regular season. He'll probably get a ton of reps Thursday Night. He needs to make it count.

I'd buy the trying to be smart angle, but if he is setting too far upfield to bait players into an interior rush, why the hell isn't he reacting when he gets what he wants? Or is he so bad at it he is trying to bait them upfield and then surprised when they don't swallow the bait?

I am still betting on over-adjusting to getting beat wide last year, even if he is playing games with techniques.