Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: WR battle

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yes, but do Nelson, Adams, Cobb really matchup with Jennings, Driver, Jones?

Nelson was in a serious logjam. There have been snaps available to Janis during the long offensive drought and from injuries.

I would argue that we knew Nelson was good by Year 4, even if that was the first sign of the monster to come.
    Not to turn this into a sideshow but first sign of Nelson's emergence was in his thirrd year, at the end of 2010, in that late December game against NYG and then the huge game against Pittsburgh in the SB. In his fourth year he went over 1200 yards receiving. I agree with your main point, which is that there have been ample opportunities for Janis to earn playing time whereas Nelson had to split time for his first three years. Moreover, the comparison really isn't apt because Nelson was much more polished coming in and he got plenty of playing of time from the get go. Janis was much greener and has never really dispelled his initial limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Driver was a WR and worked his ass off to become a very good one. Janis has great athleticism who from reports, doesn't work very hard to be a better WR.

I don't think anyone is doubting Janis' physical ability, it's what's between his ears that many question.
    I think this part is speculation. He may work super hard but still have trouble grasping things.
    When I first started playing basketball in high school, I had a really difficult time with concepts. I was extremely book smart, but I just couldn't grasp court tactics. It took me well into college (watching relatively constantly) before I started picking up nuances before not caring anymore.

The point is: someone can be passionate about it and work hard at it, but sometimes some concepts are difficult to grasp. That's why people speak about a "light going on" because it suddenly makes sense. I think that's where Janis is. His interviews this year are a lot more humble, a lot more "I've got to keep working" and a lot less "I'm just waiting for the ball because I'm ready". We're still waiting for the light to go on, but I think he's finally on the right path.

Armchair sports psychoanalysis.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I don't know if we have seen enough to debate one way or another about his route running beyond saying it appears to have somewhat improveD. My question is how are his hands? What has he looked like when a ball is in his vicinity? I have heard no comments or observations either way which screams average to me. Anyone got anything?

i think i'd rather clark make the team than janis. put josh jones in janis' special teams spot. two games to go to decide.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    I don't know if we have seen enough to debate one way or another about his route running beyond saying it appears to have somewhat improveD. My question is how are his hands? What has he looked like when a ball is in his vicinity? I have heard no comments or observations either way which screams average to me. Anyone got anything?
    His hands have looked fine but both catches that are being talked about so far this preseason were absolute strikes by Hundley. That deep ball against the Redskins was amazing. Hundley hit Janis absolutely in stride 25 yards down the field into a 3 foot window.

I had 1 complaint against Janis during the game. He ran an out route and was open. The pass was thrown and he didn't come back to the ball to help his QB. He wait for the ball to come to him. Against a starting CB in the NFL that is for sure an incompletion and probably an INT.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I think this part is speculation. He may work super hard but still have trouble grasping things.
    When I first started playing basketball in high school, I had a really difficult time with concepts. I was extremely book smart, but I just couldn't grasp court tactics. It took me well into college (watching relatively constantly) before I started picking up nuances before not caring anymore.

The point is: someone can be passionate about it and work hard at it, but sometimes some concepts are difficult to grasp. That's why people speak about a "light going on" because it suddenly makes sense. I think that's where Janis is. His interviews this year are a lot more humble, a lot more "I've got to keep working" and a lot less "I'm just waiting for the ball because I'm ready". We're still waiting for the light to go on, but I think he's finally on the right path.

Armchair sports psychoanalysis.

Baloney. It's that stupid mustache of his that is holding him back. See, Arod wants to be the only guy on the team with that look, so he doesn"t like Janis and won"t throw to him.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack