Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Kramer Nominated As Finalist For Pro Football Hall Of Fame

Jerry Kramer Nominated As Finalist For Pro Football Hall Of Fame

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...ist/598701001/

The Green Bay Packers' legendary right guard was nominated as a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame through the seniors committee Thursday. It’s the 11th time, and the first in 20 years, that Kramer has been a finalist, more than any current player not enshrined in Canton.

It also threatens to end perhaps the most avid drive to induct a player in the Hall of Fame’s long history.

For years now, Kramer has been considered the best football player not in the Hall of Fame. A member of the 1960s All-Decade team, he was a staple of coach Vince Lombardi’s five world titles during the "Glory Years" dynasty, including Super Bowls I and II.
    It might actually happen this time. The voting takes place on Super Bowl Weekend.

The last time Kramer was a finalist, he awaited the selection committee’s decision in a New Orleans hotel the day before the Packers won their first Super Bowl since he played.

He’d love for history to repeat itself, with one small change.

“I’ve done my part. You’d think they’d do theirs,” Kramer joked about the upcoming Packers season. “Tell them I insist. I insist they join me at the Super Bowl in Minneapolis. I’m planning on it.”

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...#ixzz4r6BoF6uJ
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    The video above that article from the UrinalScented starts with a lie about the IceBowl block that got Starr into the end zone.
    Center Ken Bowman was at least (and this is being generous to Kramer) as responsible for that block as Kramer. Kramer is the consummate showman, and has almost centered (pun intended) his entire life on that block, the Packers 'Glory Years' and Vince Lombardi. I predict that years after his death, Kramer's body will still twitch reflexively when the words "Ice Bowl" are uttered. He deserves a lot of credit for the Packers successes in the 60s, maybe even enshrinement, but he doesn't deserve the credit he gets for that play.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/p...38169849.html/

"The locker room was pandemonium and Lombardi was on the podium with the TV cameras and Vince called for Jerry," Bowman said. "I said, 'Jerry, don't forget to tell 'em it was a double team.' He said, 'Kid, you got 10 years ahead of you. Let an old man have his day.' "

Bowman said he didn't realize the magnitude of the block or the Packers' achievement at the time.

"I was so young and dumb," he said. "I let Jerry go up and have the microphone and receive all the credit."

Former team historian Lee Remmel offered this perspective in a 2007 interview with Packer Plus on the famous block.

"Looking back from 40 year's perspective, I think there's quite enough for both of them to share," Remmel said. "I don't think there's any reason to diminish one's role or the other's.

"They both contributed to the end result, which was a victory in what was voted the greatest game of all time."

Bowman said he's moved on from any controversy on the issue.

"That block happened more than 40 years ago," he said. "I know what it was. My teammates know what it was, so that's good enough for me. I've moved on with my life."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    The video above that article from the UrinalScented starts with a lie about the IceBowl block that got Starr into the end zone.
    Center Ken Bowman was at least (and this is being generous to Kramer) as responsible for that block as Kramer.
    How cold was it in the stands that day?

Blog Entries
    The bank said -15 as we rode to Lambeau to park, During the late 3rd quarter, the radio said it was now -17. Riding home the bank sign said -20. It was freakin' cold, man.

I was in the South stands, I had happened to re-locate to that spot to sit with my uncle down there. Before the play, Kramer pawed up and down in front of his position with his feet, digging points where he could gain traction. My uncle, an old football player, said "that's where the play will be run, he's made himself a foot hold".

At the snap, Starr kept the ball and went right over Kramer, who pushed Jethro Pugh back into the end zone. Bow did make a nice assist on the block, but for him to think a young lineman was going to get the major credit for the play is ludicrous. That's Jerry's block all the way. Bow did his job, but it was Kramer and Starr who were laying in the end zone with Pugh looking over at both of them. Great block by Jerry Kramer, the HOF Right Guard for the 3 time Championship Packers.

Kramer wrote a best selling book called "Instant Replay". The book wasn't called "The Doozy Double Team" or some shit like that.

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post

Kramer wrote a best selling book called "Instant Replay". The book wasn't called "The Doozy Double Team" or some shit like that.
    Why would it be? The book wasn't about that one play.

If anyone should be lauded, its Jethro Pugh, who basically slipped and fell down at the snap.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The bank said -15 as we rode to Lambeau to park, During the late 3rd quarter, the radio said it was now -17. Riding home the bank sign said -20. It was freakin' cold, man.

I was in the South stands, I had happened to re-locate to that spot to sit with my uncle down there. Before the play, Kramer pawed up and down in front of his position with his feet, digging points where he could gain traction. My uncle, an old football player, said "that's where the play will be run, he's made himself a foot hold".

At the snap, Starr kept the ball and went right over Kramer, who pushed Jethro Pugh back into the end zone. Bow did make a nice assist on the block, but for him to think a young lineman was going to get the major credit for the play is ludicrous. That's Jerry's block all the way. Bow did his job, but it was Kramer and Starr who were laying in the end zone with Pugh looking over at both of them. Great block by Jerry Kramer, the HOF Right Guard for the 3 time Championship Packers.

My parents wouldn't let me go. My hubby was there with his Dad in the section in front of the end zone where Starr sneaked in. His feet are still screwed up and easily get cold to this day. They didn't have the clothing, boots and feet/hand warmers back then like you have today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleft Crusty View Post
    Why would it be? The book wasn't about that one play.
    No, it was the story of that whole championship team.

The title of the book was about the replays of Jerry's block.

It's a great book, Schaap and Jerry did a fantastic job on that work and it's great tale of the Lombardi Packers.

That book was one of the many reasons that Kramer was not elected to the HOF back in the day (when he deserved it).

Many of the voters felt he had gotten enough acclaim bc of the book.

I really hope Kramer gets in but I'm not going to count any chickens just yet. I was listening to a pod cast yesterday with Jason Wilde on the BSPN website and he heard Peter King is going to vote 'no' again. What is King's problem here???

At some point I have to do the fact checking before writing the post. Pugh didn't go down like in my memory, he got knocked back and stood up. Bowman hit the turf because his hit (with Kramer's) knocked Pugh out of his way and there was nothing to support him.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Here is a video about the game, but the last minute has the replays from the end zone.

It was a perfect storm of a block, and Pugh helped because he was high and he was reaching for Starr, who he saw was heading his way.

Bowman got the better initial block (he was also closer) and Pugh lost some footing, but he was still alive though very upright. No penetration here. But as he pivoted off his good/left leg and reached for Starr, Kramer got there and got low, quite low, and caught that leg and knocked it out from under him like a head pin.

Effectively knocked out of the play, Starr could just fall over Bowman and Kramer and score easily. Both should get even credit. Bowman got there first on a double team and put on a pretty wicked hit but Kramer had the perfect follow up to clean up what was left of Pugh. Each of these are amazing because of the footing but also because didn't Starr call for a handoff over Kramer and then keep the ball?

Last edited by pbmax; 08-29-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

It was a perfect storm of a block, and Pugh helped because he was high
    Yup, hard enough to play the game in such conditions but being stoned on top of it...not good.

Thanks Jethro!

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    No, it was the story of that whole championship team.

The title of the book was about the replays of Jerry's block.

It's a great book, Schaap and Jerry did a fantastic job on that work and it's great tale of the Lombardi Packers.

That book was one of the many reasons that Kramer was not elected to the HOF back in the day (when he deserved it).

Many of the voters felt he had gotten enough acclaim bc of the book.
    It's interesting how that works. For his own turn, many thought Bowman was kept from some pro bowl selections because of his involvement the players union, which wasn't too popular back then.

I didn't mean to seem so down on Kramer. He's really quite a guy. He's very kind and generous - one of those very large personalities of yesteryear who you love to just sit next to and hear tell stories. I've had two chances to do that and it's just great.

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Here is a video about the game, but the last minute has the replays from the end zone.

It was a perfect storm of a block, and Pugh helped because he was high and he was reaching for Starr, who he saw was heading his way.

Bowman got the better initial block (he was also closer) and Pugh lost some footing, but he was still alive though very upright. No penetration here. But as he pivoted off his good/left leg and reached for Starr, Kramer got there and got low, quite low, and caught that leg and knocked it out from under him like a head pin.

Effectively knocked out of the play, Starr could just fall over Bowman and Kramer and score easily. Both should get even credit. Bowman got there first on a double team and put on a pretty wicked hit but Kramer had the perfect follow up to clean up what was left of Pugh. Each of these are amazing because of the footing but also because didn't Starr call for a handoff over Kramer and then keep the ball?
    Yeah, but KY is right about one really important aspect - you can bet that Starr, knowing everything is on the line, will count on Kramer to make that block. I thought Bowman's push was enough to get Starr into the end zone, but Kramer made his block and left absolutely no doubt.

As an aside, had Starr handed off to Mercein, LILB Chuck Howley would have stoned him in the backfield for sure. Starr had the right instincts all the way on that play.

PS Chuck Mercein gained less than 100 yards the rest of his career after the Ice bowl (6 rushes, 2 receptions for 44 yards).

Team with most Hall of Famers playing for it? Check out here: http://www.footballperspective.com/m...n-an-nfl-team/

That team might get an additional HoF member today as Rich Gosselin presents Kramer for the Seniors Committee. Meeting and vote are today.

http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes...class-of-2018/

Something I did not know, from 1967 to 1990, only one Guard was elected to the Hall of Fame, Gene Upshaw. And he and Kramer were nominated as finalists in the same year 1987.

He got in on his last year of eligibility. Good for him. And he's still alive to enjoy it.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

If anyone should be lauded, its Jethro Pugh, who basically slipped and fell down at the snap.
    He was frostbitten and just wanted out.
    C.H.U.D.

Geriatric Rat All-Pro
    Congratulations to Jerry Kramer. He deserved it. Sometimes the HOF is a little more than just pure gridiron greatness. Kramer's presence transcended the game. You could say that Kramer and his story-telling was one of the primary reasons the game was so revered for so long. Kramer is a great man and a great guy to just sit and chat with - the stories, the ebullience of the man - a true standard-bearer for a bygone era. Congrats Jerry!

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    He got in on his last year of eligibility. Good for him. And he's still alive to enjoy it.
    Exactly - good for him.

loooooong over due.