Thread: Chris Odom, OLB, 6'4", 257

Chris Odom, OLB, 6'4", 257

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Given his size, the Packers will likely play him on the edge at outside linebacker.

A corresponding roster move will need to be made to accommodate Odom’s arrival. The Packers released their initial 53-man roster on Saturday.

Odom was productive during his first NFL preseason, tallying 17 tackles, two sacks and a pass deflection over four games. He was particularly impressive in the Falcons’ preseason finale against the Jaguars (eight tackles, sack).
    Probably a good move to replace Elliott with Odom. Elliott couldn't be counted on physically due to his back.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Probably a good move to replace Elliott with Odom. Elliott couldn't be counted on physically due to his back.
    If Cowboys reject him with back issues, wonder if they bought themselves a day for the roster move?

Mike Flanagan was traded to Carolina but rejected on physical and sent back.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Better pass rusher...I'll take it.

He ain't a burner.

He ran his 40 in 4.83 seconds.

https://cowboysblitz.com/2017/03/24/...per-prospects/

Chris Odom, Edge, Arkansas State

WHY HE’S A SLEEPER

Chris Odom dominated the Sun Belt competition in his lone season as a starter at Arkansas State, leading the conference with 12.5 sacks and 17.5 tackles for loss.

Odom displays good balance around the corner, making tight, low turns to dip under the opposing tackle and get to the quarterback. Using strong hands and a powerful, churning lower body, Odom delivers a powerful bull rush that makes it appear as if an offensive tackle has been shot in the chest.

Odom’s father, Cliff, spent thirteen seasons as an NFL linebacker with the Browns, Colts, and Dolphins. The NFL pedigree is evident when you observe Odom’s fit 6’4”, 263 pound frame.

WHY HE’LL BE AVAILABLE

There is the issue of dominating lower competition. When matched up against teams like Auburn or prospects like Troy’s Antonio Garcia, Odom’s impact was noticeably quieter. Describing Odom as ‘over-matched’ in those games wouldn’t be correct, but the competitive jump in those games did leave me feeling like he was a bit shell-shocked at times.

Odom’s snap reaction is slow enough that even a casual viewer will notice he’s frequently the last out of his stance. Though he displays great balance and is a sound technician, he doesn’t ‘wow’ with his athleticism.

SUMMATION

A number of analysts have Odom as an UDFA, which I don’t believe is correct. There are flaws, and he’s certainly not a top-100 player, but Odom is a smart, powerful edge with the potential to find a home in this league as a reliable left defensive end.
    I thought the name seemed familiar (See bold).

Odom looks to me like he has the frame to be able to stop the run. Unlike a guy like Fackrell, me might have a bull rush.

I could see them using him in 3rd down blitz packages later on in the season, kid clearly knows how to get to the QB.

I'm really excited about our defense this year, improved D-line, improved LBs, improved secondary, more overall speed...if Capers doesn't get it down this season it's time to move on.

I hope getting Odom works out really well. That guy is a Baller.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Not exactly sure why the birds let him go. Do they really have 4 DE/Edge dudes better than he? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I'm really excited about our defense this year, improved D-line, improved LBs, improved secondary, more overall speed...if Capers doesn't get it down this season it's time to move on.
    weren't we excited about our D about this time last year too?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Yes, but injuries tore apart the secondary. Those same guys are there minus Hyde plus some reinforcements.

And its year 2 of hybrid safety Nitro.

Sounds like we don't have to worry about this guy getting any offsides penalties.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Not exactly sure why the birds let him go. Do they really have 4 DE/Edge dudes better than he? I doubt it.
    They have 2 former 1st round picks and 1 former 2nd round pick at the DE position, so they probably do feel they have better people than Odom. Of course, some GM's have a big ego and won't get rid of high draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Put sam shields on the field and that D is entirely different.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Sounds like we don't have to worry about this guy getting any offsides penalties.
    Well, if he guesses one and its like four...maybe.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.