Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comings and Goings

Comings and Goings

I thought it might be nice to start a thread comparing this roster to last years. We had more "real" turnover than I can recall since TT took over the team. Are we better or worse? I'll start it off with the position that has me excited:

Tight ends. Anyone who sifts through my drivel knows I abhor a TE that is one dimensional. Its pointless. You are telegraphing to the D what your intention is.

This position is basically pure upgrade with no trade off. We lost a one dimensional TE who can't run block and is often injured and replaced him with one of the games true dual threats in Bennett and an up and coming dual threat in Kendricks. DickRod who is no threat at anything is a solid 3rd TE to have. With Monty in the backfield I pray MM and Arod audible often to create mismatches and march on scrambling defenses that can't decide which personnel to use and get caught with 12 men on the field when they try to figure it out.

Other turnover positions for discussion would be CB and OL I would think.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Cornerback:

Adds: King and House. Randall and Rollins both healthy

Losses: Hyde

Gunter was Packers top CB much of last year. This year it would appear he barely made the team. This is a much better situation, both in terms of health and talent.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Agreed on Bennett but in his 7th season I'm not sure Kendricks can still be considered up and coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Agreed on Bennett but in his 7th season I'm not sure Kendricks can still be considered up and coming.
    He knows the job and is aggressive, but us often bothered by those pesky appendages known as the arms and hands.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    He knows the job and is aggressive, but us often bothered by those pesky appendages known as the arms and hands.
    I always have a soft spot for Badgers, but he's just okay at NFL level football.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    So he should be in the Dean Lowry Army?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    One addition I like is a subtle change in team personality. I've felt the whole "Packer People" deal went a mite too far. A good pro team needs a variety of personalities for the guys to play off one another. We've lost some of our enforcers and some of the new guys replace that element. M Bennet keeps everybody loose while being a skilled player. Brooks is a certifiable scary, moody type guy.

For awhile there, we were more like a boy scout troop than a pro football team.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Last couple of years, Packers were playing around with Sitton, Lang, Bulaga, and Lindsley being injured all the time. Now they can play around with Evans and Lindsley being hurt all the time. That's at least a two-fold reduction in total injury time. Unless someone else steps it up (I'm not counting Barclay)

Loss of Tretter is a problem, but McCray will develop into an effective backup at least at guard - because he is so fat, it just takes pass rushers longer to get around him.

O-line overall is better, APRH.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Cornerback:

Adds: King and House. Randall and Rollins both healthy

Losses: Hyde

Gunter was Packers top CB much of last year. This year it would appear he barely made the team. This is a much better situation, both in terms of health and talent.
    I consider Shields as a CB loss this season, too. While he didn't play much last year, they expected to have him, he was in the prime of his career, and planning for replacing him is happening this year, just like the loss of a free agent.

Yoko is gone. That alone should improve the band.

No Carnival of Light bs either way please.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I consider Shields as a CB loss this season, too. While he didn't play much last year, they expected to have him, he was in the prime of his career, and planning for replacing him is happening this year, just like the loss of a free agent.
    The premise of the thread was comparing this year to last year. For all practical purposes, they did not have Shields last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    He lasted about three plays! But your point is solid. They drafted Randall and Rollins to replace House and Williams. Got House back, but don't know where he's at. King is Shield's replacement and he doesn't look ready. Either Randall or Rollins will have to replace Hyde. Right now it looks like a wash or less than the start of last year, even APRH.

The premise of the thread was comparing this year to last year. For all practical purposes, they did not have Shields last year.
    Sure they did. He was one starting CB. His loss really couldn't be addressed the 'Packer way' until the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    He lasted about three plays! But your point is solid. They drafted Randall and Rollins to replace House and Williams. Got House back, but don't know where he's at. King is Shield's replacement and he doesn't look ready. Either Randall or Rollins will have to replace Hyde. Right now it looks like a wash or less than the start of last year, even APRH.
    Hyde was the 2nd slot CB at times, part time safety and Rover. His job is probably taken by the combo Burnett/Jones in that order. Dix plays back more than Hyde ever did.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Playing with bad QB's and changing offensive systems for all those seasons to the model of stability and ARod tells me the best is yet to come. 50 catches last year. I could see 40 this year as the 2nd TE.

And the part I like best. He is an excellent blocker who had 50 catches.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Sure they did. He was one starting CB. His loss really couldn't be addressed the 'Packer way' until the offseason.
    I see your point. The CB roster with Shields last year did look pretty solid. My point though is that that was an illusion because Sam Shields was one hard collision away from the end of his career. We just didn't know it. Given what I see as the extreme unlikelihood that the Packers will suffer the injuries at CB this year that they did last year, I think the players they will likely put on the field is superior to what they put on the field last year.

One last point on TE. You have to remember that Kendricks isn't replacing Cook as the starter. He is the backup. You could be right, he isn't ascending, but I think he is a big improvement.

I think the players they will likely put on the field is superior to what they put on the field last year.
    I hope you're right. Lots of question marks right now, no? Two guys returning from injury, House is a question mark (will he play at the top level he showed in stretches here and first year in Jacksonville?). Will King come around and play a solid edge corner (I think that's all they will ask him to do)? Can Randall or Rollins fill the Hyde role?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    One last point on TE. You have to remember that Kendricks isn't replacing Cook as the starter. He is the backup. You could be right, he isn't ascending, but I think he is a big improvement.
    He looked more fluid than Rodgers, that's for sure. Didn't see him block much, so don't know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    He's there to block and misdirect and line up in a bunch and defeat press coverage occasionally.

I also hope he is there for goal line Bubba Franks play. Block, fall down, stand up, catch touchdown.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.