Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Comings and Goings

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He's there to block and misdirect and line up in a bunch and defeat press coverage occasionally.

I also hope he is there for goal line Bubba Franks play. Block, fall down, stand up, catch touchdown.
    Richard Rodgers is pretty good at the fall down part.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The premise of the thread was comparing this year to last year. For all practical purposes, they did not have Shields last year.
    So at what point was last year last year?
    At what point am I allowed to refer to a player as being a loss from last year who is being replaced this year?

Does Lacy count as a loss from last year? He played in only four more games than Shields. There was minimal contribution from him. How about Tretter? He played only 6 more games than Shields. Can I comment on either of them and still comply with the premise of this thread?

From a roster building perspective, there isn't much difference between the losses of Tretter and Lacy on the one hand and Shields on the other, except for which game of the season was their last. The 2016 roster was built expecting each to be available. 2017 has been built knowing all are gone.

Then there is Montgomery. Is he a "loss" at WR who is replaced as a WR this year? He was a WR last year for more games than Lacy played.

Maybe you guys who have actually been able to watch practices have seen some good things on Kendricks, but from what I have seen, I like R Rodgers better than him.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    One addition I like is a subtle change in team personality. I've felt the whole "Packer People" deal went a mite too far. A good pro team needs a variety of personalities for the guys to play off one another. We've lost some of our enforcers and some of the new guys replace that element. M Bennet keeps everybody loose while being a skilled player. Brooks is a certifiable scary, moody type guy.

For awhile there, we were more like a boy scout troop than a pro football team.
    Excellent post, I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    One addition I like is a subtle change in team personality. I've felt the whole "Packer People" deal went a mite too far. A good pro team needs a variety of personalities for the guys to play off one another. We've lost some of our enforcers and some of the new guys replace that element. M Bennet keeps everybody loose while being a skilled player. Brooks is a certifiable scary, moody type guy.

For awhile there, we were more like a boy scout troop than a pro football team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Excellent post, I agree 100%.
    Apparently the DL they brought in today from the 49ers also plays with a bit of an edge. With him, Brooks and a couple safeties who like to hit, the character of the defense could change a little.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Apparently the DL they brought in today from the 49ers also plays with a bit of an edge. With him, Brooks and a couple safeties who like to hit, the character of the defense could change a little.
    Those safeties are a super talented group. The addition of Brooks may play off Daniels natural fire and give us more of an attack minded defense. Brooks is a little like Wayne Simmons. A real bitch, but a tad nuts. he's a vet now. Hope he can channel his energies the right way and help get us going. We must generate heat on the QB to improve the pass D and help the young corners.

I know nothing of the 49er DE they're bringing in today. Who is Quentin Dial? How good is he? How old is he?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I know nothing of the 49er DE they're bringing in today. Who is Quentin Dial? How good is he? How old is he?
    Not old. 27. Big. 6-5, 320. I seem to remember him as a pretty tough player. Not many sacks though. He was seen as a better fit in a 3-4.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 09-04-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Offensive Line: Depth definitely worse than last year.

Wide Receiver: A little better. Jordy a year removed from surgery. Adams still getting better. Allison looks stronger.

Running Back: Better. Monty has a chance to be a really good all-around back. The rookies look like they can all play.

Tight End: Big upgrade.

Quarterback: Status Quo.

Defensive Line: Better. Clark, Lowry and Ringo have all improved.

Outside Linebacker. Worse, unless Brooks comes through in a big way.

Inside Linebacker: Status Quo.

Cornerback: Better. House and King (and Josh Jones) more than offset loss of Hyde.

Safety: Better. Brice and Evans continue to improve. Jones adds athleticism.

Special Teams: Probably Status Quo.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I wonder about OLB?

Lost Peppers - Last year, many said he was well over the hill. Made a play now and then, but was taken advantage of, too. Was he more name and reputation than performance last year?

Lost Jones - Last year, many said he was not a fit at OLB. Stout against the run just as he always was as a DE. Seemed to apply pressure, at times, but didn't get there.

Gained Brooks - Reports I've read have him playing last year with little drop off from his prime. Might he be better than the 2016 version of Peppers? Might he be enough to replace both Peppers and Jones.

Gained New Guy - Expecting nothing.

Peppers had 10 sacks I believe. He had his moments.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Did he visit today? I haven't heard a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Peppers had 10 sacks I believe. He had his moments.
    2016 - 7.5
    2015 - 10.5
    2014 - 7.0

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Offensive Line: Depth definitely worse than last year.

Wide Receiver: A little better. Jordy a year removed from surgery. Adams still getting better. Allison looks stronger.

Running Back: Better. Monty has a chance to be a really good all-around back. The rookies look like they can all play.

Tight End: Big upgrade.

Quarterback: Status Quo.

Defensive Line: Better. Clark, Lowry and Ringo have all improved.

Outside Linebacker. Worse, unless Brooks comes through in a big way.

Inside Linebacker: Status Quo.

Cornerback: Better. House and King (and Josh Jones) more than offset loss of Hyde.

Safety: Better. Brice and Evans continue to improve. Jones adds athleticism.

Special Teams: Probably Status Quo.
    I'm excited!